main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN "AT LAST..." INDY DVDs

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by GMSepiroth, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMSepiroth

GMSepiroth Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    USA Today reports that a 4 disc INDY DVD set hits on NOV 4

WOO-HOO

2. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    Yup! We can thank Steven Spielberg for this one. If it were up to Lucas we most likely wouldn't be seeing it until Indy IV is released in 2005. The extras include the ability to click on a scene and see the on site filming and a little bit about each region. Its nice to see that they are throwing in some geography and actual archeology too. I wonder if we'll get to see the footage where Ford blew out his knee in Raiders. Spielberg postponed shooting for, I believe, about 6 weeks after this while Ford healed up, although Harrison wanted to keep shooting.

BTW, they are going to release them in one 4 disc boxed set. Evidently Spielberg & Lucas got their way, as the word was that Paramount wanted to release them separately. There is no suggested retail price but the collection is anticipated to be available for approximately $49.95 in the U.S.

You can check out the official page with all the technical info.
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/community/news/2003/05/img/indydvd_boxset_bg.jpg]

You can also view the DVD boxed set trailer from the main page.

3. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    All right! It's about time!

I remember a few years back seeing a post on TFN where Lucas asked Spielburg to do some INdy commentaries but Spielburg refused because he is against commentaries.

4. GMSepiroth

GMSepiroth Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Ya know after my initial excitment wore of my thoughts turned to Indy4. I would rather have a COMPLETE box set. But I probably cant wait if there is a set out there. If the time comes I will likely sell the old on Ebay and buy the new. Like I did with Pulp Fiction SE DVD (thats a great set BTW).

5. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    Someone mentioned this at the RL boards.

I wonder if Indy still shoots first in the "battle" with the uber-swordsman in Cairo.

6. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    I wonder if Indy still shoots first in the "battle" with the uber-swordsman in Cairo.

LOL!

7. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    Actually the samurai guy has two swords and throws one at Indy. Indy miraculously steps to the side (without moving his feet) just in time as the sword impales another bad guy. The samurai is now this enormously large CG giant named Jar Jabbar who has 6 arms. Its the ode to David & Goliath scene Lucas has always wanted to do. [face_laugh]

Also, as Indy & Marion fly into Cairo, we get a swooping CG aerial scene so that we can get a better view of the dig site at Tanis. :p

In the Temple of Doom we get to see a fire creature in the abyss below. Its a cross between a balrog & a wampa. Also at the end of the Temple of Doom, when the little kids come running up over the hill, they all have sparklers in their hands for effect. Also, since the farms have now flourished, the meadows are alive with flowers & the towns people fire off skyrockets & dance in a musical celebration of the return of their children. John Williams was asked to create a musical ballad for the finale.

In the Last Crusade instead of Donovan making it to the inner chamber & choosing the wrong grail, Indy's father grabs walter Donovan at the end and throws him into one of the cracks that opens up during the earthquake. He then dies after they get outside and Indy makes a huge funeral pyre.

:p

I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas would want to change them. What would surprise me is if Spielberg allowed him to:
    Spielberg: "No George you can't go changing everything!"

Lucas: "But, its better and it would be kinder to younger viewers. We need to take out those heart grabbing scenes out of Temple of Doom too. They're too violent. I also want to give Short-round a CG monkey named Jabowacky for comic relief. People will LOVE hime! :)"

Spielberg: "NO GEORGE! No goofy CG monkeys & the heart grabbing scene stays! Just have Skywalker sound digitally remaster the soundtrack and I'll do the rest. You go back and worry about Episode III. You are going to need to devote your full attention to that! Trust me ;) "

George: "OH, alright. (kicks a nearby stone in disgust) But my new Special Edition version would have been better & more family friendly."

8. TK-6873

TK-6873 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    I would think Spielberg would want to replace Indy's gun with a radio or flashlight to remove unnecessary violence from the film.

9. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    I hear that! I forgot about those changes Spielberg made in the E.T. Special Edition. :eek: I thought that was rather retarded myself. I guess I can somewhat understand the context of it because its supposed to be a "kids" movie, but I don't remember them ever drawing their guns, so what difference does it make. They're supposed to be Federal agents & Federal Agents carry weapons. DUH! I just have no patience for artist who change things that were accptable at the time they were made in order to make them politicallly correct for today's times.

At least when he released it on DVD, he released both versions together. GL refuses to release the original version of the OT on DVD (right now), which makes me thankful that I have hung onto my original Laserdisc boxed set versions. I have to go back & watch those every once in a while just to enjoy the cantina scene the way it originally was "shot". Han Solo was a space cowboy & survivor. It was kill or be killed. By letting Greedo get off the first shot, it showed that he was incompetent and lucky to even be alive. It also showed that Greedo couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I think of all the changes GL made that was the one that infuriated fans the most. I personally loathed the scene towards the end of ESB where he had Luke screaming as he was falling and then felt he had to change Vader's line to, "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival", instead of just, "Bring my Shuttle". And then we have to see Vader's shuttle board the Star Destroyer in order to show that he got back to it before Han, Luke, Leia, & Lando took off from the planet. That was totally anal retentive and a waste of time and resources in my opinion.

IF IT AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT! ;)

10. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    "Greedo couldn't hit the broad side of a barn"

sounds like greedo would have made a great stormtrooper,but alas no aliens allowed in the empire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.