main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

At the Homestead (Lars family, Anakin/Padme - Ep. II)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by ami-padme, Sep 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi scholar

jedi scholar Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 1999
    ---Fabulous, wonderful--adjectives don't even come close to describing my thoughts here. Anakin and Padme are so beautifully written. Again, I can "see" this scene happening. Are you sure you don't have some kind of telepathy with GL?

2. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Absolutely great, ami! :D

One of the things that I wondered about the most was how Anakin must have reacted to the news that his mother was free. Just what did he think about his mother being married and how would he except not being the one who freed her? I think you answered the question perfectly. :)

Great job! :D

3. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    Loverly addition. :) Anakin very much in character in his responses to the different situations (Padmé, his mother's freedom, his dreams), and the glimpses we got of Padmé were nicely in character as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the two established storylines in this fic merge with one another...

4. Shezan

Shezan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    Full of insight, and nicely done!

5. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    He shared another long look with Padmé, but this time didn't bother trying to decipher what it meant. He simply drew comfort and strength from her.

He stood up from the pilot's chair as the ship's ramp lowered. "Let's go."

Awesome characterization of both Ani and Padme.. I am in awe. this is definately one of the best A/P fics I have read on tf.n.. I can't wait for more to come..

(that was a hint by the way..)

6. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    You guys are spoiling me with all these great comments. [face_blush] Hope you keep it up! ;)

And IamZam, I can take a hint -- new post tomorrow!

7. Sreya

Sreya Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2000
    This is the first fanfic in a long time that has made me cry.

What's really crazy? It was when the Lars were talking about all the stories they'd heard about Anakin that did it.

I really need to be more watchful about the fics going up! Good job, ami-padme, it's wonderful.

Sreya

8. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    Something I'd like to add. I'm enjoying this Lars story a lot more than RA Salvatore's Lars scenes in the AOTC novelization. The way you write them, ami is in great and very rich detail, unlike Salvatore.

You rule, ami! :D

9. ami-padme

Sep 19, 1999

Anakin seemed to vanish from sight instantly, leaving a kicked up trail of sand in his wake as he sped for the horizon. Padmé was standing outside the Lars hovel, staring at the last spot where she had been able to see him. It was so far away ? he had been nothing but a speck at that point. But he had still been visible.

She wanted to will something good to happen for him?or to at least ward off something terrible. She suddenly felt very alone and helpless. She knew Anakin must be feeling the same way, but could hardly imagine how much worse it was for him.

Padmé hadn't disbelieved Anakin when he talked about his dreams, but she hadn't really understood either. What did a Jedi's nightmares mean? She had worried about what they would find here, but had never expected them to come into a month-old tragedy, with Anakin's chance to help taken away weeks ago.

She had come outside to try to support him, to try to do anything that might make this better. However, the only thing she could do was whisper his name and hold him, and then he was gone.

On the ship, while they were coming to the farm, Padmé had mentioned that Anakin's situation wasn't fair. Now she was almost choking on the injustice that fate had lain on him.

Ten years pass, and he doesn't even get to see his mother, much less save her?

Ten years pass, and he finally gets to see you, and he pours his whole heart out to you, and you reject him? While claiming that it's somehow for his own good?

Her eyes fell from his spot on the horizon, and she stared at her feet for a moment. Then she decided that it was time for her to go back inside.

The family was still sitting at the table, and they were watching and waiting for her. She took the seat that Anakin had been in.

"Has he left?" Owen asked.

"Yes," she whispered. "You?you said these people are monsters. What do you think they'll do? Will Anakin ?"

"That kid's a Jedi," Cliegg said. "He'll take care of them."

"How many men did you say you took to go after her?"

"30," he responded. "All of us were just farmers though."

Padmé frowned. She wasn't worried about Anakin being hurt, or not being able to handle the Tuskens ? well, not much, anyway. Padmé had seen the way Anakin had reacted to a threat to her back on Coruscant. He could certainly take care of himself when there was danger. That wasn't the point. "If she's been gone for a month, what can he possibly find now?"

The three of them were silent; they barely looked at her. Finally, Owen said, "He may not find anything at all."

Padmé shook her head. "He won't come back until he does."

Beru looked at her with concern. "Are you okay?"

She made herself nod. "Yes, I'm just worried about him." Padmé was going to add how horrible this situation was for Anakin when she realized? "I'm sorry, this must be so difficult for you. You've ? lost Shmi too. And to have us show up out of nowhere like this couldn't have helped."

Beru shook her head. "We're glad to meet him, even under these circumstances," she said. "We've been hearing about Anakin for years. In fact, I think we've heard about you as well."

"Me?" Padmé asked, her eyebrows raised.

"I think so. You're the girl that came with the Jedi that took Anakin to Coruscant. Right?"

She grinned at Beru. "Yes, that's me. I was with Qui-Gon, and we all stayed at Anakin's home while we were here."

"Well, then we've definitely heard about you," Owen said. He was smiling too. "You know, Shmi would have loved to see the two of you together. She always said that Anakin had the biggest crush on you. And she was worried that Anakin wouldn't be able to do the normal things that someone his age?"

Padmé wasn't certain what expression he saw on her face, but he stopped talking abruptly. His smile vanished.
    "I ? I'm sorry," he said. "I assumed that you and Anakin ? well, I'm sure you know what I assumed."

"It's not our business anyway," Cliegg said. "As far as I

10. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    Great post, ami! :D

Once again, you've done a wonderful job with Padme and her feelings toward Anakin. It's also good to see her interaction with the Lars. Considering she spent the night with them, she probably knew the Lars better than any of the big three.

11. Scruffy-looking

Scruffy-looking Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2002
    Hi ami-padme, just found this fic and I love it! :D I think Alderaan21 said it best, there's a crying need to explore the Lars, and you're succeeding brilliantly!

Can't wait for the next post!

12. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
  13. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    *bows*

I'm not worthy!!!!! :_|

Incredibly beautiful, a-p. Padmè's feelings were so real and wonderfully written.

DP is right. You would have done an exquisite job on the Homestead scenes in the book. :)

14. ChinchillaFairy

ChinchillaFairy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2002
    Wonderful story! I really love it. Please post soon!

15. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Very, very good. Poor Padme and Anakin. :( Well, poor everybody. :(

*swallows past lump in throat*

Looking forward to the rest.

16. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    a-p, a-p, a-p...that was brilliant. You capture Padmé perfectly - her conflict over Anakin, the way she compares her rebuttal of him to the loss of Shmi - just in her every response to the Lars' questioning. Sublime perfection - but even more; going off what Pipes so aptly stated before, these are the Homestead scenes that we wanted to see, the real, dramatic, human experience that characterized the film and we've been dying to see in writing since. Amazing, awesome, perfect - you get the idea. I love this.

17. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    I like this more and more with each new posting! :)

18. Shezan

Shezan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    This is very clever and very believable, as to what made Padmé change her mind about Anakin's love. Very nice!

19. Monica_Skywalker

Monica_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    Wow!! I have missed SO many fantastic posts!

All of the charactors are written perfectly! :) I liked the discussion that Beru, Owen, Cliegg, and Padme had after Anakin left. It was very heartwarming.
    ~*Monica*~

20. ami-padme

Sep 19, 1999
    Thanks everyone. :)

I have to admit that part of what got me thinking about this story in the first place was my dissatisfaction with the AOTC novel in general, and with the Lars subplot in particular. I'm glad my spin on things seems to be working for all of you.

More tomorrow!

21. jedi scholar

jedi scholar Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 1999
    Darth Pipes is right--you should have written these scenes for the novelization. Thanks for filling in the missing gaps and providing some insight into Padme's thoughts.

22. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Can't wait for the next one!

23. ami-padme

Sep 19, 1999

Padmé and Anakin finally returned from their long talk in the garage.

Owen thought Anakin looked awful.

The fury he had worn all over his face when he first returned was gone. Now, he looked hollow and depressed. His arm was draped around Padmé's shoulder, and he leaned against her heavily. It made for an odd sight ? Padmé was so slight and small, but she looked as though she were the only thing holding him up, and keeping him on his feet.

Still, Owen supposed it could have been worse. Much worse. Anakin might have needed her help, but he was holding on.

Dad was fidgeting uncomfortably in his chair, and kept glancing at Owen and Beru. He was looking for permission to proceed. Owen frowned at him. Yes, there were questions that they needed to deal with, but he was loath to push Anakin into anything he wasn't ready for yet. Beru apparently agreed, and Owen saw her give Dad the tiniest shake of her head.

Anakin didn't seem to notice their uneasiness. He pulled away from Padmé and sunk heavily into one of the chairs in the small sitting room. She remained standing next to him.

To Owen's surprise, Anakin brought up the subject Dad had wanted to address without any prompting from them. "Have you already decided on?" he swallowed hard "?on arrangements?"

"No, we haven't decided a thing," Dad said. "We weren't about to do anything without discussing it with you first, son."

He nodded gratefully. "Thank you, I appreciate that."

Owen waved him off. "You're her son. You don't have to thank us."

He glanced at Dad. "You must have some sort of plans in mind though. What would you have done if I wasn't here?"

"Well?we would lay her to rest here on the farm," he answered. "With the other members of our family. We were thinking of having a short ceremony. Just us."

"Did you have any ideas?" Beru asked. "Or would our plans be all right?" She was worried, though she tried not to show it. Owen certainly understood why.

They did want to take Anakin's wishes into account, and didn't want to make the situation any worse by getting into a disagreement over what to do. But, they were also Shmi's family, and they needed the closure, especially Dad. If Anakin wanted to take his mother back to Coruscant and carry out some Jedi ritual?or if he had some other plan where it would be impossible for them to compromise?

Anakin didn't answer. He sighed and shrunk in his chair a little. Padmé squeezed his shoulder and said quietly, "We don't have to make any decisions right away. If you need time to think about what you want, Anakin, you should take it. I'm sure they understand."

He was staring at the floor, and seemed to be very far away in his thoughts. "You know," he whispered, "she was really happy here." He closed his eyes, made the decision, and snapped them back open. "This was her home. She belongs here. Whatever you have planned is fine."

Owen watched his father sigh with great relief. "Thank you, Anakin."

"I haven't told you how grateful I am that you freed her," Anakin said, his voice still a whisper. "And that she had something good in her life?before, before she?"

"I loved your mother. Don't feel like you owe me a thing. I'm just sorry that we weren't able to save ?"

Anakin shook his head fiercely. Dad never finished the sentence.

Owen stood up slowly. "We could have the ceremony today, if that's all right with both of you." He actually knew it was fine with his father, and waited for Anakin to answer.

His response was to stand as well, and say, "I want to ? let me prepare the grave."

"Of course," Owen replied. "I'll show you where the tools are."

Anakin followed him closely into the main plaza. He grabbed two shovels, handing one to Anakin. He also grabbed a four sand barriers and the two of them went back up through the house and out into the farm.

Anakin wandered to a stop in front of the smaller headstone while Owen dropped the barriers and his shovel on the spot next to his mother's grave, the spot that now

24. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    *swallows lump in throat*

Beautiful, a-p, just beautiful.

Working side by side to complete a terrible task, you showed the two of them wonderfully.

*sniff*

Far too beautiful. I don't know how you do it, but this is excellent as usual.

25. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    Wonderful, a-p! :D

The interaction between Anakin and the Lars, especially Owen was fantastic. This is what I'd like to hope (and believe) happened in the short time Anakin was with them. I like your portrayel of Owen. He's a good man, which I always thought he was even in ANH. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.