main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

At the Homestead (Lars family, Anakin/Padme - Ep. II)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by ami-padme, Sep 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    Any of you remember the cult a-p had for a little while a looong time ago? Think we ought to restart it? ;)

Seriously - oh, that was perfect. Beautiful. The best one yet, or at least, it's certainly my favorite so far.

I can picture Anakin behaving exactly like that after the massacre/breakdown. Little moments like "They won't come back" - *shiver*. It's always a satisfying experience when you're reading a work that absolutely gets a character, and this is very much that - and yes, I'm probably gushing, but I'm typing this as I think it and I'm a bit beyond caring. Stellar job, a-p. :)

2. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    I'm really impressed with your Owen Lars here. The relationship with Anakin is strained because it's so new and started on such a bad note, but you can really feel the older brother Owen wanted to be (particularly juxtaposed with his speaking about the baby who died)--he wants to protect Anakin, and it's set up very well so that from the point Owen first hears Obi-Wan's name in connection with the Skywalkers, he knows it means trouble.

I've always thought that Owen and Beru's talk of Anakin in the kitchen scene in ANH implied a lot of actual concern, both for Luke as Luke... and for Luke as Anakin's son.

Anyway, excellent post.

3. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    I'm late, so I'll end up echoing everyone else - but a-p, that was simply incredible. Owen and Anakin are fantastically written; Owen especially, because you portray his character so well. We can only infer from the films what kind of a good person he is behind that gruff ANH mask, but not only do you get that down perfectly (just in the way he tries to understand Anakin; his reference to Shmi and Anakin as family, his goodness), you make him and the interactions so wonderfully rich and emotional that the reader is captivated through the entire dialogue.

I'm not even finished yet. ;)

I liked how Owen's reaction to Anakin's forced admittal of the massacre was so accepting. I've always thought that the farmers would approve of his killing the Tuskens - just as farmers in our country years ago approved of killing wolves - and I liked that the conversation didn't dwell on it. Personally, I think Anakin felt shame for doing it, as he well should have - and you got this down well; his discomfort and pain are clear - but that ordinary folk, not knowing it was an uncontrolled massacre, would think the action perfectly normal. Excellent post. :D

4. Monica_Skywalker

Monica_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    *Wipes away tears*

How sweet! The family's coming together! :)

Wonderful post, A-P! :D
    ~*Monica*~

5. Shezan

Shezan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    This is wonderful!

6. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Can't wait for the next!

7. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    I don't know how to keep saying thanks for all the wonderful comments. [face_blush] But thanks. :)

Owen has really become an interesting character to me since AOTC came out, and his relationship with Anakin (which none of us would have guessed at before it turned out they were stepbrothers in Ep. II) is particularly intriguing. Writing it has been great, and makes me think about both characters in new ways.

Any of you remember the cult a-p had for a little while a looong time ago? Think we ought to restart it?

<<Gasp!>> Not the "Wow!" thread! [face_shocked] ;)

Well, I'm coming up on the end here. Two more posts are left -- one tomorrow, and the last one will be on Friday. I hope they live up to the rest of the posts so far. :D

8. jedi scholar

jedi scholar Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 1999
    Say it isn't so? Only two more posts for this wonderful story? A-P you have a real gift for character and I look forward to more of your creations.

9. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    I hope they live up to the rest of the posts so far.

You don't have to worry about that, it's assured, IMO. :D

10. Sreya

Sreya Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2000
    Whoops! Somehow I forgot to turn on the ATN for this thread. So forgive me for being late!

I love the interaction between Owen and Anakin. It's probably the best I've ever seen in fanfic. I hadn't thought about the connection that both of them had lost their mothers... their real mothers. Owen's definitely been through this before, must be a nightmare.

Only two more scenes, though! Goodness! What ever shall we do when the story is over?

;)
    Sreya

11. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    ami-padme - this is a fantastic story! Not only is it well written, but I really like the fact that you have chosen to tackle this subject/storyline, as it is one that is not visited often.

Wonderful. Truly wonderful :D

12. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Wow, a-p that was awesome! I just read all of those and you have done an amazing job! I especially love where Anakin is out digging the grave and talking to Owen.

"They won't come back."

Chilling. Absolutely chilling. My spine was tingling - that was such a great line for Anakin...totally believable! He's my favorite character so of course I am always looking for little things about him.

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME! You do a wonderful job at characterizing the Lars family and Beru. Love it!

13. Monica_Skywalker

Jul 10, 2002
    Upity up! :)
    ~*Monica*~

14. jedi scholar

Oct 31, 1999
    another up

15. ami-padme

Sep 19, 1999
    "Master Ani, does that name mean anything to you?"

Anakin felt his heart ? already overburdened, already broken ? sink down practically to his feet. The rest of his fistful of sand sifted through his fingers and fell back to the ground.

Dimly, he heard the rational part of his mind tell him that his impulse was unfair. And he knew that the voice was right. So he added shame to the rest of the emotions that were wearing him down.

It didn't matter what Obi-Wan's message was. Even if it were a 20-minute lecture about how he had ordered Anakin to stay on Naboo, Anakin knew he would just have to take it, despite knowing in his soul that he was right to come ? that he should have come sooner, whatever Obi-Wan would have said or done about it.

But he had had far too many uncharitable thoughts about his Master lately, and they had to stop. Obi-Wan didn't deserve it no matter what Anakin sometimes thought of his teaching methods, or his rules. Anakin knew that his Master ? his friend, his father ? would never have wished this tragedy on him. Anakin had to get himself re-focused on that.

Padmé was waiting for a signal from him and he simply nodded.

Cliegg was frowning irritably at 3PO. "So that's it? You have to leave right now?"

Anakin took his annoyance as a sign that he didn't want them to leave yet. He had to admit he was touched. "I'm afraid we do."

"Who is this person?"

"Obi-Wan is my Master," Anakin said.

"Do you think something's wrong?" Beru asked.

"I know something's wrong. I'm not supposed to be here at all. If he's contacting me here, that means he's found out that I've left my assignment." Anakin sighed heavily. "I'm sorry we have to leave so abruptly."

"You're not going to get in trouble, are you?" Owen asked him incredulously. "Not after everything that's happened? They aren't going to try to punish you or something like that, are they?"

The anger, the blame, the despair ? they all came rushing back, and Anakin had to take a deep breath to dissipate them and find his center. He forced himself, again, to not think any more unkind thoughts. Not about Obi-Wan, not about the Council. He loved Obi-Wan. And blaming the Council was useless.

"My Master doesn't know what's happened. I'm not sure?I guess I'll have to see how he'll react, and what he wants to do." Anakin tried to reassure Owen, at least a little bit. "He is going to be sorry about what happened though. I'm sure of that." Owen gave him something between a nod and shrug.

Anakin turned to Cliegg and reached out his hand, and they shared strong handshake. "Thank you again, for everything."

"You don't have to thank us," he insisted. Then he added, seriously, "I hope you know, Anakin, that your mother was proud of you. I know she still would be." He clapped Anakin's back. "Take care of yourself, son."

Anakin almost thanked him again, but caught it. "I will."

Padmé was speaking quietly with Owen and Beru. Anakin couldn't quite make out what was being said, but she was smiling. She took Beru's hand briefly and squeezed it. Anakin stood behind her, and lightly rested his hands on Padmé's shoulders.

"I was telling Padmé that you ought to take 3PO with you," Owen said.

"Really?" 3PO jumped at the sound of his name, and Anakin couldn't help but smile. "Are you sure?"

"Absolutely. He's yours."

"Oh! Master Ani, I would be so pleased to return to your service," 3PO said. Anakin thought he actually did sound rather gleeful.

"Well, then that's settled," Beru said.

"For whatever it's worth," Owen added, "You're both welcome here, any time."

"It's worth a lot," Anakin replied. He shook Owen's hand, and Beru's.

He looked at Padmé, and at the droids. "Ready?"

"Yes," Padmé said. R2 whistled happily and began rolling away, with 3PO following behind.

He and Padmé walked together back to the ship. Anakin decided not to look back at his mother's grave as he went.

16. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Great post, ami-padme! :D

You did a wonderful job capturing Anakin's feelings at this critical moment. I'm also glad at the positive resolution of his meeting with the Lars. This is definitely something I would have liked to have seen in AOTC. To me, you handled it perfectly. :)

Great job! :D

17. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    The anger, the blame, the despair--they all came rushing back, and Anakin had to take a deep breath to dissipate them to find his center.

Ah, Anakin so perfectly captured, a-p. How do you do it? :_|

Excellent post as always. :)

18. Shezan

Shezan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    Excellent as ever. Anakin still feels obligated to love Obi-Wan... and yet Obi-Wan is responsible for his not being with his mother. One day this love has to vanish.

19. Monica_Skywalker

Jul 10, 2002
    Padmé was speaking quietly with Owen and Beru. Anakin couldn't quite make out what was being said, but she was smiling. She took Beru's hand briefly and squeezed it.

I wonder what they were talking about.....

Awesome post! :) Anakin's emotions are perfect. He's not evil, but he's not totally good, either.
    ~*Monica*~

20. jedi scholar

Oct 31, 1999
    Fabulous--even 3PO's response is perfect.

21. ami-padme

Sep 19, 1999
    Thanks folks. :) You guys are great!

Last post (late-ish) tomorrow night!

22. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Aiee! I missed the post!!!!

I'm very taken by your Owen and Beru, a-p, and their relationship to Anakin. They really care about him, and you portray this beautifully (and, in simultaneous fashion, tragically). It was quite nice to see this goodbye scene, actually - I've been wondering what would have happened between them all ever since seeing the films, and have often wished this scene could have been slipped in somehow.

"You don't have to thank us," he insisted. Then he added, seriously, "I hope you know, Anakin, that your mother was proud of you. I know she still would be." He clapped Anakin's back. "Take care of yourself, son."

That was lovely. :)

23. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    Looking forward to it, ami! :D

24. ami-padme

Sep 19, 1999
    And a short little post to end it...

All three of them watched Anakin, Padmé, and the droids make their way to the ship at the edge of the farm, and board it. The ramp was drawn up after them.

And then?nothing.

Owen had expected them to just get in and take off. But the ship was still idle, and there was no indication that they were about to leave.

"That's strange," Dad muttered.

"Well," Beru said, "they didn't know what was in that message. Maybe once they get it and listen to it, they can respond, and they might not have to leave right away?"

"Maybe," Owen agreed, though he didn't really believe that. He tried to conjure up in his mind some sort of mission that Anakin and Padmé were about to be sent on?tried to think what the assignment was that Anakin had abandoned to come here?tried to imagine the types of places they would be going.

Of course, he couldn't begin to picture any of it. He knew there was a vast galaxy beyond Tatooine, and a life beyond the farm. But none of that had ever been his reality, and he wasn't sure how to make it fit when he thought about Anakin. He just hoped that Anakin wouldn't get into too much trouble, and that both he and Padmé would remain safe.

Beru drew herself in closer to him, and he wrapped his arms around her waist and held her closely as they continued to watch the ship. He could hear his father's hoverchair start up again, and he floated slowly back over to Shmi's graveside.

Owen glanced back to watch his father. He was talking softly to his wife, saying a few more quiet goodbyes.

It was a heartbreaking scene, but there was a part of Owen that couldn't help feeling that there was something beneficial in it. Shmi had been found, and returned home. She had received her proper rest, and the questions that had lingered over the homestead for the last month were answered. Anakin had even been able to come, and get some kind of resolution out of this tragedy. None of that had seemed possible after that first horrible night, when they had failed to find Shmi, and Dad had been injured. They would all have to continue to live with the grief, but at least the gnawing uncertainty was gone.

Suddenly, Anakin's ship came to life, and before any of them could even register what was happening, the ship took off, heading straight for the atmosphere. It happened so quickly that Owen had to wonder what they had actually found when they got on board, and what Anakin's Master's message could have said to get them moving that fast.

"I wonder where they're off to," Beru said.

"Back to Coruscant?" Owen guessed. The ship was already out of sight by then.

"You think they'll come back?" she asked.

"I don't know about that," Dad said gruffly, cutting Owen off before he could answer. His father brought his chair up right behind them. "This wasn't exactly what I'd call a pleasant visit for him. And he's got those damn rules to worry about anyway." Cliegg shook his head. "It's too bad. I wish I could have done something more for him while he was here."

"Don't be so hard on yourself, Cliegg," Beru said.

"She's right, Dad. It's not like Anakin blamed us for what happened." Owen truly believed that. He thought he understood Anakin's anger well enough to know that it had never really been aimed at them ? and well enough to know that he wouldn't want to see what it would be like to have a Jedi's wrath focused on you. He'd believed Anakin when he said the Tuskens wouldn't return.

"Well, you two are probably right," Dad finally said. "But who knows about ever seeing them again." He sighed. "I think I'm going to head back inside. Maybe get some rest. It's already been a very long day."

He moved slowly toward the front entrance of the house. Beru pulled back from Owen's embrace and glanced up at him. "Shouldn't we join him?"

Owen's eyes briefly went back to the sky. It was clear and blue as far out as he could see. Anakin's ship was long gone of course.

He had a silly, sentimenta

25. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    Outstanding, ami-padme! :D

That was a great post. I really feel bad for the Lars, they have lost such a wonderful person in their life. Things won't be the same again. You did a good job of capturing that. My favorite part was Owen wishing Anakin good luck. Touching, and something I could see Owen doing.

I really enjoyed this story. It was so good to see you get back to writing a solo story, ami. I look forward to more of your stories with great interest. :)

Great job! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.