main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I thought it was Jeff Daniels!

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Wow, a new trailer for Robin Hood. Only one week after the third trailer for the film was released. They know interest is low for this film and are really beginning to panic.

The attempt to market this towards the younger generation by putting everyone in no-period authentic "contemporary cool" clothes is misguided, imo. Though I liked Guy Richie's King Arthur:Legend of the Sword, it made a similar mistake with its costumes and tone. No one is betting on this film.

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I didn't know it existed, and like that King Arthur movie last year (or was it 2 years ago?), I had very little interest even after seeing the trailer... but then... Ben Mendelsohn?

4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    At this point, I'm just waiting for Wreck It Ralph 2 and the Bohemian Rhapsody.

I heard them raving on the radio this morning about the Vice trailer, linked on the previous page. I have not watched it yet and I really don't see myself spending money on a movie about Dick Cheney. I loved Bale in American Hustle and I think he and the cast will probably do great work but probably going to pass on this one.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  5. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Come on Hollywood marketing ... a little effort please.

[​IMG]

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    They put in lots of effort, there's very little orange or blue in those posters.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Master_Lok and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I hope Bohemian Rhapsody is decent. The trailers make my rocking world go round.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I saw this in my social media feed where John Wick rides again in this still photo. A couple of the comments were pretty funny.

[​IMG]

Comments:
    - "God help us all if that horse gets killed."
    - "He took the word Mustang seriously."

BigAl6ft6 and PCCViking like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Given RL, I doubt I’ll see Halloween or Suspiria in the movies (though I can wait to rent the latter now), I hope I can see Aquaman in the theater.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  11. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    So I mentioned in the other thread that I saw a Hitchcock double feature the other day, and afterwards I started looking up his filmography a bit more. It occurred to me that he directed several of his most acclaimed films during a short period of his career: from 1951-60 we get Strangers on a Train, Dial M for Murder, Rear Window, To Catch a Thief, Vertigo, North by Northwest, and Psycho. What an extraordinary run! It made me wonder about what other great runs there have been in film history, for example Kurosawa's 1950s run (or just his Mifune collaborative run) or Coppola's streak in the 70s, which brought about several films that could be considered their masterpiece and with no bad films in the group.

I wanted to know what famous runs you might think of that are like this? To give a bit more structure I would characterize such a run in a few ways, to start. There should be three or more "great" films in it to show that it is a period of higher quality for the director. It doesn't have to be a true "streak" of back-to-back films so long as the other intervening films are all of a relatively high quality, but despite that the films should be produced with a relatively short period of time between them. Basically periods of time when it seemed like a director's powers were heightened and they couldn't go wrong.

BigAl6ft6 and Dagobahsystem like this.
  12. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    @MrZAP
    Cool question.

I'll propose Stanley Kubrick. Although he took longer between films than most directors, pretty much everything he ever created is a masterpiece.

In a period of 16 years, lasting between 1956-1971, he released the following seven films:

The Killing 1956
    Paths of Glory 1957
    Spartacus 1960
    Lolita 1962
    Dr. Strangelove 1964
    2001: A Space Odyssey 1968
    A Clockwork Orange 1971

And between 1975 and 1987, only 13 years, he released these three films:
    Barry Lyndon 1975
    The Shining 1980
    Full Metal Jacket 1987

MrZAP likes this.
  13. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I actually thought of Kubrick, but I wasn't sure if the long period between films would actually quality as a hot-streak in quite the same way as the others. It's also the case that there are some directors that just come out with great movies their entire career but have fewer movies in total to show for it.

If I were to point to a period where he was at his best, I would probably point to his Strangelove through Clockwork Orange period, where he released three films that all hugely influenced cinema for years to come.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  14. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
  15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i could get on board for a new hellboy. that art isn't doing it for me though. mostly seeing ian mcshane just reminded me that we're gtting new american gods next year.

MrZAP likes this.
  16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You know "af" is dead when it's in a marketing campaign. It's dead af if you will.

17. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    It's a shame the release date is April 12th and not a week earlier on April Fifth.

18. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Legendary must have confidence in it to move it from Jan(where movies go to die) to April. I’m intrigued. Hope it continues the trend of using practical effects.

Master_Lok likes this.
  19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The practical make up for Hellboy is terrific, I am so happy that is on the rise again.

I can still tell the difference (Do I believe in the character or not?!?)

With the make ups, I’d like to request more practical sets being built too.

20. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone who goes to Regal Cinemas, they're updating their rewards program.
    • Any points earned on or prior to 1/1/2018 will expire on 1/1/2019.
    • Points earned in the year 2018 expire one year from the date they were earned. For example, if you went to see Avengers Infinity War in April 2018, those points you earned for buying tickets and/or concessions will expire April 2019.
    Happy spending!

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    That's interesting. I think I maybe went to two or three movies this year; and maybe once to the local Regal cinema. Lately the only time I've gone to Regal Cinemas is either for exclusive showings or if I care to use one of my Entertainment Book coupons for it.

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Finally watched Resident Evil: The Final Chapter which is a long running series for literally decades (also I'm an avowed Resident Evil series game and movie geek). Hot take: Paul W.S. Anderson movies are so good looking that they don't deserve the consistent amount of flak thrown at them.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    James Cameron probably has the ultimate streak going in the long term- after Terminator and Aliens, pretty much every film he made became one of, if not the, most expensive ever made at the time, everyone doubts his ability to make such a film successful and then the film ends up being one of the biggest of all time (or, at least in True Lies and Abyss's case, profitable).

But his output is obvious much slower, post-Titanic. Still, that T1, Aliens, Abyss, T2, True Lies, Titanic streak is difficult to top.

Spielberg is probably the only one to rival that with Jaws, CEOT3K, ET, Raiders & Poltergeist, though he had that 1941 black eye in the middle. And one could argue that, while his director's streak shifted gears over the next decade, his producer work carried on that legacy streak significantly (Gremlins, BTTF, Goonies, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, etc).

Nolan's Memento, BB, Prestige, TDK, Inception run is also a strong contender.

Burton's Pee-Wee, Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, BR, Ed Wood run, with an NBX producers credit in the mix.

Tarintino's Resovoir Dogs through Kill Bill is another one. Kevin Smith basically built his entire brand around the Clerks-through-Jay & Silent Bob streak

24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I'd say Zemeckis had quite a run , from Romancing the Stone '84 , BTTF 1, 2 and 3 , Roger Rabbit , slight mis-step with Death Becomes Her then a massive hit with Forrest Gump '94 .

BigAl6ft6 and MrZAP like this.
  25. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    For me, Spielberg's legendary status comes from having the biggest movie of all time in three different decades: Jaws (75), ET (82) and Jurassic Park (93). By 2000 I think his style had become too completely integrated into the generic formula of big budget Hollywood, and his later attempts at high end blockbusters, like War of the Worlds and Ready Player One fell well short of those earlier efforts.