main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    How is Black Panther a Drama film? I'm not saying it shouldn't be at least acknowledged for best picture; but I wouldn't call it a drama film anymore than I'd call Terms of Endearment a comedy.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    How was it not a drama? Also, the only reason they even call it the best drama category is because they have the musical/comedy category.

Juliet316 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Are all comic films really dramas in disguise? And if it's only in there as a result of process of elimination, then I guess the new Halloween flick (if it was nominated) would also fit into the drama category since it's obviously neither a musical or comedy. Maybe they should just expand the categories for best picture in the GGs. If the DVDs in my public library can be categorized by Action/Adventure/Horror, Drama, Comedies, and Musicals, then at least the GGs could create at least two distinguishing categories that would really cover all; like Action/Adventure/Horror & Drama/Comedies/Musicals.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, they should expand it have 15 categories, rather than the four they have now.

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I "was" one of those people that wasn't fond of the big CGI eyes for Alita, but the more footage I see of the film the more I've gotten use to it and have accepted it. Typically, I don't have negative reactions when live action film adaptations are faithful to the look and design of the source material, but Alita's eyes were just so sharp in contrast to anything else in the film when the first trailer dropped. But now, with the recent trailers, they're playing up the "Pinocchio/Iron Giant" angle to the character so Alita's big CGI eyes have become more palatable.

$50 million seems low to me considering Spider-Man is a well established brand name and because of the recent buzz it's been receiving. I'm hoping it opens around the $80 million mark or better. But whatever the box office numbers ultimately turn out to be, Sony is already in the works for a follow up film to Into the Spider-Verse.

Ya know, I was thinking the other day that Black Panther is like the "Black Mirror" of The Lion King if the story was told from Killmonger's point of view. Eric's uncle killed his father and therefore stole his rights to a royal life. So Eric had to fend for himself. Then would come a day were Killmonger would claim his birthday and challenge a relative for it. That's a pretty good drama in my mind.

Eric Killmonger is a key reason why Black Panther resonated with many of the people in the audience because he was a metaphor for man of the social neglect and issues that plague society. Therefore, there's that social commentary in Black Panther that award voters like to see in films.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Rogue1-and-a-half and Diggy like this.
  6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    \
    Depends on the comic book movie. I definitely say Black Panther is a drama but the Ant-Man films would have fallen under the comedy/music category similiar to how Deadpool was nominated for it a few years ago.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    TDK would be under drama, despite one of the main characters being called Joker.

8. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I think it's safe to say that Batman, at a minimum, is an equally well established brand as Spider-Man. I know SM is the biggest merchandise revenue generator of all comic book properties, but BM is no slouch. Not to mention that the first LEGO movie helped the appeal of LBM as a spinoff sequel.

Movies frequently over perform their tracking, especially the early tracking numbers, but by 100% is virtually unheard of. A $80M opening would be bigger than Toy Story 2, a sequel to a beloved Pixar movie.

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, the I thought The Lego Batman Movie would hit it big opening weekend, but I do feel Into the Spider-Verse will perform better at the box office opening weekend. I mean, Sony certainly feels that way by doing a one night advance screening this weekend of Into the Spider-Verse. That should generate a good amount of positive word of mouth for the film, as it's Sony's intent with the advance screening.

As for Black Panther, I hope it at least get nominated for Best Original Song with "All The Stars" and wins so it can join Suicide Squad as Oscar winning film.

BigAl6ft6 and Guidman like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Black Panther being nominated for Best Picture is almost a lock at this point, it has momentum and also a way to also refute the proposed, inane "Most popular movie category"

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/...ar-film-award-academy-john-bailey-1203027430/

Which they are still threatening to bring back by the way

The idea, he affirmed, came about in direct response to the Oscars’ falling TV ratings. Bailey pointed out that the first Academy Awards in 1929 handed out two best picture awards, one for a box office hit (William Wellman’s war epic “Wings”) and one for a film considered an artistic achievement (F.W. Murnau’s romantic drama “Sunrise”). Having two such awards again “seemed like a good idea, the board approved it, announced it, but we got a lot of pushback,” Bailey said. “So the board reconsidered and tabled it – which is not to say that the idea is dead. Even after a stake was driven through its heart, there’s still interest.”

Although if ya asked me, out of the 3 MCU movies released in 2018, I woulda put up Avengers: Infinity War for Best Picture nomination above Black Panther. It's just so much loss and grand scale like those World War II movies that get nominated every year.

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I know it's not too late to mention another Christmas movie I'm always fond of watching around the holiday season.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    so red hot chilli peppers bassist Flea is in Boy Erased, he's really good and the movie is pretty harrowing. But I did google "how did Flea get in Boy Erased" and google auto completed it to "how did Flea get the plague" and, for a second there, I thought Flea the Red Hot Chill Peppers bassist and actor had been diagnosed with the plague. Which I actually totally for a second believed. But it's the insect fleas that can have the plague, not the bassist.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ Gotta love Google.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  15. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
  16. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018

So I got advertised this so I watched it. I remember back when Unbreakable was advertised but never saw it, same with Split. This is the conclusion of the thing or next part at least. But I must say after looking up what each of the forerunners were about this looks interesting

Luke02 likes this.
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That is hilarious. But Flea is a surprisingly good actor. I mean, not like Oscar worthy great or Justin Timberlake/Lady Gaga level great, but he's natural in front of the camera which is more than you can say for a lot of musicians turned actors. He's in Baby Driver too.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Juliet316 likes this.
  18. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    This Brightburn trailer parodies the Man of Steel trailer and the Superman mythos before it goes into its own direction.

This trailer did its job and sold me on the movie.

soitscometothis likes this.
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    OH NO

21. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Uh...he isn't live action right? He's CGI and not a guy in a suit right?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It's a live-action animated film - combining live action filmmaking with animation.

23. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    So like Detective Pikachu?

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    not a single performance by Flea I've actually thought was bad. Seems to be mostly relegated to cameos and one off roles. I'd wager Boy Erased may be one of the largest parts he's ever had.

Juliet316 likes this.