main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Holy crap I read that book in third grade!

And remember none of it. T. H. White it ain't.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Huh when was the last time Rildey Scott did something that could be at most PG-13? That Moses flick, maybe? Someone hide the blood buckets from him on set!

3. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    He did The Martian so there's your answer.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    From the gore-obsessed mind that brought you an innocuous rom-com five or six films ago

SuperWatto and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Oh Geeze, A Good Year. I guess that didn't get an R-rating. What the hell was that one about anyway? All I remember is the ads Russell Crowe is standing year a pool and it's supposedly about wine.

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Thank the oak trees it’s not the Stephen Lawhead Merlin-Arthur series!

With Phillipa Boyen writing [face_sick]and it being a young Merlin, this is an easy pass.

Meanwhile, live action DragonLance series remains unmade. [face_sigh]Raistlin would be Loki popular methinks.

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    That's basically - yeah , I think everyone was on a free holiday.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Wow, okay, guys, I did it. I think this is the first time I've actually finished a series of these Best of the Year retrospectives. Anyway, here's the final post. Best 2018 Films I Saw in 2018. Top 10 with 5 honorable mentions.

Best Films

Honorable Mentions

[​IMG]

Avengers: Infinity War

Jam-packed payoff to years of set-up delivers thrills only blockbusters can give.

[​IMG]

BlacKkKlansman

Weird story serves as a launching pad for Lee’s best film in years, a comedic, disturbing, infuriating look into the heart of racism.

[​IMG]

The Little Stranger

Too slow moving and ambiguous for mainstream audiences, this supernatural drama is rich in themes and character development.

[​IMG]

Mission: Impossible – Fallout

Sixth film in the franchise once again delivers the transcendently perfect action we’ve come to expect.

[​IMG]

Pandas

A touching story of the quest to release pandas raised in captivity into the wild becomes a heartfelt exploration of the struggles we all face in DisneyNature’s latest home-run documentary.

Top 10

[​IMG]

Annihilation

Trippy sci-fi horror is compelling, thought provoking and ambiguous in all the right ways.

[​IMG]

Black Panther

A deft touch is able to effectively balance exploration of real social issues and action blockbuster thrills.

[​IMG]

Blindspotting

A gripping look at criminals trying to escape the roles society has made for them, bolstered by great performances.

[​IMG]

Eighth Grade

Astonishingly witty and heartfelt script and a phenomenal lead performance make this riff on social anxiety a classic.

[​IMG]

Hereditary

As disturbing a horror film as you’re likely to see, Hereditary is raw, gut-wrenching and terrifying.

[​IMG]

Isle of Dogs

A stop motion triumph finds Anderson in top-form, witty, sweet, funny and heart-tugging.

[​IMG]

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

The platonic ideal of the comic-book movie is character based and heartfelt, but also boasts mind-blowing visuals.

[​IMG]

Suspiria

Strange, unsettling horror film subverts expectations and features bravura filmmaking packed with ideas.

[​IMG]

Widows

An astounding ensemble and a near-perfect script bring this serious, character-based thriller home with a bang.

[​IMG]

Wildlife

A painful, raw exploration of a marriage in crisis from the perspective of the young son breathes new life into clichés with its sincerity and power.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Suspiria never made it to my neck of the woods so hopefully it'll hit video (and not just Amazon) because it still looks really whacko.

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It's a slow burn in some ways and a little weird for weirdness sake in a couple of instances, but it's really great, even with a few flaws.

11. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Chris Hemsworth to play the Hulkster in Hulk Hogan bio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The2ndQuest likes this.
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Gonna need to hear a few "Brothers" from him before I pass judgement either way.

Actually, you know what, just have him record this:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I gotta see HemsThor with a receding hairline and remaining thin blonde hair before I can pass judgment either way, brutha!

Juliet316 and Ramza like this.
  14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    WELL YOU SEE MEAN GENE, THE THING IS THAT WHEN YOU'VE GOT LUSCIOUS LOCKS LIKE THE HEMSTHOR DOES, BROTHER, YOU DON'T JUST SHAVE THAT FOR ANY OLD PART, BUT WHEN THEY COME UP TO YOU, BROTHER, AND THEY'VE GOT THE DEAL OF A LIFETIME BROTHER, I MEAN THE HULKSTER, WITH THE PRAYERS, AND THE VITAMINS, AND THE THOUSANDS OF LITTLE HULKAMANIACS, BROTHER, THEN YOU TAKE ONE FOR THE TEAM, AND YOU GET THE HAIR CUT, AND YOU GET THE SPRAY TAN, AND YOU MAKE SURE YOU'VE GOT THE LARGEST BACK IN THE WORLD, SOMETHING ABOUT HULK HOGAN'S PASTAMANIA MAYBE

15. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  16. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    dang gotta add that to my list, Ben Affleck and Oscar Issac have a Netflixs movie out soon also.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Do you think the Hemsworth Hulk will do the whole massively racist thing, or will it end with his defeat at Wrestlemania VI to Ultimate Warrior?

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wrestlemania VIII when Warrior rushes in to save Hulk, thereby burying past grievances.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Reports are that it's going to focus on his early life and not the Hogan Knows Best/Sex Tape/Racist remark on sex tape years.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Interesting this gets announced the same weekend Fighting With My Family goes for a wide release.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Hogan movie has some interesting talent behind the camera too- Todd Phillips and Scott Silver are director/writer (who worked together in those roles on the upcoming Joker movie), Michael Sugar (a producer of Spotlight) and Bradley Cooper (also producing).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I heard that the film won't cover any of the racist comments nor him having an affair with his friend's wife.

I'm thinking it will end with the victory over Andre the Giant in Wrestle Mania III, probably because I feel that's one of his most iconic moments and I watched the Andre documentary on HBO which featured Hogan talking about that match. Andre wasn't speaking to Hogan at the time and they never rehearse the match or confirm what would actually take place. And Hogan was actually worried he might suffer great an injury because Andre was so massive. Also, Hogan wasn't sure if Andre would kick out of his signature leg drop.

This is a cute anecdote of Hogan talking about being a girl to a match against Andre and how Andre reacted during the match.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 and Diggy like this.
  24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well Hogan's supposedly an executive producer on this, I guess he can dictate wherever this movie wants to go.

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002