main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    This is me!
    Oooooooooh

That's what I know. But I also didn't see it because PT Barnum was actually a giant POS so the idea of him as a whimsical hero is lol.

Master_Lok and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  2. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Well personally I'm not into musicals. Like, at all. But I do still hear people say they love listening to the music from it.

But how well it's still liked now, a year after it left theaters, really is irrelevant to how well it did at the box office. It had one of those quietly outstanding runs, as musicals go. It didn't have a week-to-week drop over 40% until nearly 3 months after it came out. And most weeks during that stretch the drop was in the teens. Just for perspective outside of Ready Player One, a big budget adaption of a novel with a built in following, none of Spielberg's movies within the last decade have made more than The Greatest Showman did. Many of them less than half as much in fact.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Do they really need to remake West Side Story? Isn't wasn't that good to begin with.

*aggressively snaps fingers*

4. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    A new Halloween 2 is in the making. Everyone involved returning. I hope for a better movie.

H20 did it better IMO.

Halloween 2018 is still a fun movie, but for Michael alone. Most everything else was unintentionally hilarious.

5. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
  8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Oh yes, please!

That would be hilarious and probably create some insane GoT fan fic (although I wouldn't be surprised if people have already paired their GoT characters together).

Yet another adaption of Little Women?!? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  9. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Oh look Emma Watson is near a book...again

10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    At least her character will have more people encouraging her to read versus most people in Beauty and the Beast. :p

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Emma Watson was that girl in This is the End with Seth Rogan, right? Just checking.

12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Yeah, she was in it. I was startled when I heard she was in it, since it didn't seem like the type of movie she would normally be in.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Cool. I knew I remembered her face from somewhere.

AutumnLight91 likes this.
  14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    You might also know her from this little movie series called Harry Potter. She's in a couple of those too. :p

15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    The most off-putting slogan for a film has to be :
    "The Feel-Good Movie of the Year !"

yes I'm looking at you Yesterday.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    MrZAP, Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    You'll definitely feel good about yourself for skipping it and seeing something else. :p

Who knows, it might be a good movie, but I think The Beatles are overrated so I'll definitely be skipping it.

Master_Lok likes this.
  17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm torn. i generally like danny boyle, i think the premise of the film is fun, and i love the beatles, but i'm almost always annoyed by cover versions of their songs. i still haven't watched "across the universe" for that reason. i'll probably wait for video on this one.

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I will probably watch it on rental just because there are so many other movies to see coming out right now (Toy Story, Spider-Man). But I will watch it for sure because Danny Boyle is great.

19. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  20. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Oh @*$% as if the concept wasn’t bad enough they have to bring Chapman in too?

Definite pass.

I loved the Beatles as a kid, Lennon’s murder pretty much ended that though. I’d rather not repeat that point in musical history.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it was supposed to be a joke i think.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  22. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, it’s very clearly a joke.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The first trailer sold me on Yesterday and my wife and I plan to see it during it's theatrical run. I like the concept and tunes. Moreover, the movie stars a person of color, which I always like to support to help Hollywood see they can cast anyone to be a lead of a film.

I was looking forward to seeing Anna at the theaters because of Luc Besson and how it looks like John Wick, but it has been receiving mostly poor reviews. So, this will most likely be a rental.

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    If they had the balls to do something as ridiculous as bringing Mark David Chapman into the story, I might actually watch Yesterday. That would at least be bad enough to be interesting. But much as I love Danny Boyle, I just can't make myself have even the slightest interest in Yesterday. I mean, I feel like you've got a premise there that would basically support a ten minute short film. I mean, what the **** is the movie going to actually be about? Every five minutes he's going to just cover another Beatles song and everyone will be like, "Wow, that's another great song that we've never heard before" and then there will be some sort of ironic joke from a celebrity, ie. that dumbass "Hey, dude" joke from the trailer. Wow, what a fantastic way to spend two hours.

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    It's interesting reading the different perspectives regarding Yesterday. When I look at the trailer, I see a guy that's struggling musician, something like The Wedding Singer, but then something strange happens and the main character wakes up to a world without the Beatles. For me, this would be something like if I were a struggling comic book writer and I woke up to a world that never known Stan Lee. Now, I know of all his characters and stories. What do I do with this "gift?" There's a moral dilemma of "stealing" someone else's work and passing it off as my own. As such, Yesterday reminds me of the movie The Invention of Lying.

So, I see Yesterday not as a "Beatles" film, but rather a film about moral dilemmas, amidst seeking the attention of the objection of affection. I mean, mostly everyone dreams of financial success, fame and having a relationship with the person we love. If given the opportunity to achieve all these things, would you take it knowing that you're stealing someone's work and are a fraud?