main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Yojimbo, imo, has one of the best endings.

Sanjuro looks over a destroyed town, most of which he caused, nods and says" Now this town should be a little quieter"

Then walks off.

Also like Robocop 2's ending.

Lois: "That SOB, is getting away."

Robo: (with a wrench to the side of his helmet)" Patience Lois. We're only human." (Cranks wrench)

I like Robocop 2 in general. Imo, one of the greatest underrated sequels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Henry Cavill is nowhere near good enough as an actor to be pulling stuff like that.

soitscometothis and Juliet316 like this.
  3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Who's your favorite actors of the Golden Age?

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Jimmy Cagney . . . I'll think of more.

Sarge and DarthMane2 like this.
  5. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    My favorite male actor is Gable.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I just returned from the Kimmell Center, which houses Philly's largest pipe organ. They did a cinema screening of the classic The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari with a organ accompaniment. It was glorious. There were close to 600 people in the audience. Fantastic format to see a film I have viewed countless times.

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Bogey of course, and Errol Flynn and John Wayne could both do a lot with the right script and good direction.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Oh you'll dig A Fistful of Dollars .. a terrific rethink of Yojimbo. I always wondered what Toshiro Mifune thought of Leone & Eastwood's take.

DarthMane2 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well if it's anything like what Toho thought, it was "Sue them. Now." :p

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Sweet. Off the top of my head (and a few drinks in tonite) isn't the Man with No Name trilogy go Fistful of Dollars, Few Dollars More, Good the Bad and the Ugly? Probably do all three. Been so damn long since I saw Good the Bad & the Ugly it'll practically be new anyway.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You should just watch every Sergio Leone movie, honestly, the man was a brilliant film maker and with the exception of Il Colosso di Rodi they've all aged very well. He's one of those sufficiently distinctive directors that you will definitely clue in to the stylistic evolution that's taking place, and it's fascinating to behold.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Lets not forget "Once Upon A Time In The West."

his best film, IMO.

BigAl6ft6 and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Leone was a master and without him there would no Dario Argento, Sergio Corbucci or Enzo Castellari or Clint (though Clint was also a student of Don Siegel too.)

Have to say the one element of OUAITW that I still love was how Henry Fonda's character was connected to Bronson's. The reveal is VERY Argento (pretty awesome since he cowrote the script.) Fonda's big bad was one of the best villains from any of those Italian westerns. And it's my second favorite role of his after Fail Safe.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    A Fistful of Dollars is a great movie in its own right, however I think there are more levels to Mifune's hero than Eastwood's. Eastwood plays a rather one-note (even if it's a great note!) cynical character who has a spark of decency left, while Mifune's Sanjuro is far more playful, pretending to be mercenary while actually I think his driving motivation is dispensing justice. At the end of Yojimbo I think Sanjuro would do it all again, because that's what he does, while Eastwood's protagonist... I'm not so sure.

Leone has a better eye for visuals though, imo.

Both films have great scores.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I agree with your take on the characters; Mifune's Sanjuro seems to be having more fun than Eastwood's character. And you definitely feel that he has a sort of satisfaction of a job well done at the end. I'm not sure Eastwood's character really cares, when it's all over.

I think Once Upon a Time in the West is a real masterpiece; and it might just be Morricone's best . . . wait, I started typing that and then remembered The Mission. It might just be Morricone's second best score. Some of it just luminously beautiful. Fonda's really great; very atypical, but perfect. And it's Bronson's high-water mark as an actor.

BigAl6ft6 and tom like this.
  16. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Once Upon a Time in the West is surely the greatest Western ever made. I checked to see if God Himself directed the movie, and found the handle "Sergio Leone" instead. (Years later, I conceded that Leone was God.)

It's kinda like 2001: A Space Odyssey or the Lord of the Rings trilogy, where everyone gets the sense that that this is as magisterial as the respective genre will ever get...so don't even try to beat it.

17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Character-wise, I do prefer Mifune's Sanjuro, you nailed it as to why.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I watched One Hour Photo yesterday. God, Williams was so perfectly creepy in that. It's a brutally sad movie too in more ways than one.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  19. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Saw "Wings" last night at Union County Performing Arts Ctr. in Rahway, NJ. I'd seen it there a few years ago. Both times it had live organ accompaniment on the theater's restored, old-style Wurlitzer.

The movie really impressed me. The cinematography was great, and people might be surprised with what could be gotten away with back in the pre-Code days. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I was so enthralled that I was still thinking, "Jack, don't!" near the end. And the scenes following that moment were really touching. Plus, you have to admit, Clara Bow is just adorable in the movie, as was Jobyna Ralston. Lastly, I have to credit Bernie Anderson from the Garden State Theater Organ Society; he did an excellent job, as he always does.

Definitely worthy of what was basically the first Best Picture Oscar. Now I'm looking forward to October 30th, when they'll show "Nosferatu".

20. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Before or after Dashiell Hammett (or his estate) sued them for borrowing from Red Harvest.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The Hammett estate never pressed copyright. Toho did, and got an undisclosed amount in a settlement.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Can I say that I love Aardman Studios?

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No, it would violate our board rules regarding the appreciation of various studios (Section 3, Clause 6).

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I just thought about that movie the other day out of the absolute blue. I'm trying to remember . . . oh, it was Gary Cole. I was watching Veep, which he's on, and something he did reminded me of his role in One Hour Photo. Yeah, that's such a great movie, one of Williams' best performances and a great supporting cast. Cole really steals every scene he's in and Michael Vartan is also really good. And filled with such arresting imagery. That "red eye" dream is one of the most shocking things I've ever seen in a movie; it just comes out of nowhere.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    My favorite western is one not made in the West, Life Gamble. I think it's one of Chiang Cheh's masterpieces and one of the rare few not politically inclined (which makes even more special to me.) Definitely nails the moral ambiguity of the spaghetti westerns and Unforgiven (with the real lead of the film not the top billed star.) It's just so much fun watching almost everyone's greed consume them. The more I watch this movie, the more impressed I am with how much characterization you get in a few lines, moments, actions. Although, the real lead thankfully has a lot more characterization than that. I'd love a Criterion Collection version of this, but I'm glad I got the American dvd before it went OOP.