main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    If actors and actresses are in heavy facial makeup I dont see how they can wear a mask on set. The mask would smudge it. I guess they can wear a face shield or something when they are not shooting unless they have a private trailer but even that most likely would get too hot and again ruin their makeup.

And France is opening up their movie houses June 22nd:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/france-plans-reopen-movie-theaters-june-22-1293080

I think AMC and the other big houses will push for them to open stateside a few weeks later. Most states will allow it but will see about the big markets.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    The Avatar films have apparently gotten permission to resume filming in New Zealand, so I guess we'll find out about all the mask stuff sooner rather than later.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    How many movies can be done entirely in post production remotely finalized? Considering there's still content coming out I'm assuming it's not entirely impossible. (I just read that Star Trek Discovery S3 is recoding the music from each performer/instruments individually and mixing it together)

Avatar is like 70% animation basically it seems and I think Cameron said they did all of the motion/performance capture for all 4 movies already.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    this is how movies will be made from now on

[​IMG]

Luke02, BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm fine with that. The original was surprisingly enjoyable.

godisawesome likes this.
  7. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    New Zealand has pretty much finished lockdown, so very shortly they’re actually allowed to go back to making films as they would have before all of this.

Luke02 and Princess_Tina like this.
  8. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Huh. I think I'm in. Gosling's a great actor and, while I didn't see Bad Education, Cory Finley's prior film was Thoroughbreds with Olivia Cooke, Anya Taylor-Joy and Anton Yelchin and that was a great off-kilter thriller with a very unique tone. I would love to see a take on The Wolfman with some of the tone of Thoroughbreds.

soitscometothis and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    More on the Flower Moon deal between Paramount and Apple.

Those earlier reports suggested Paramount reportedly grew concerned at the ballooning costs which has seen the film’s budget rise to $225 million following re-writes by Scorsese. Now though, THR indicates it was a change in creative direction in those re-writes that ultimately led to the need for Apple’s intervention.

It seems the new script altered the star’s role with DiCaprio shifting from a good guy working for the developing FBI, to more of villain – a nephew of Robert De Niro’s character who is torn between love and the evil machinations of his uncle.

Paramount reportedly felt the changes in the script made the film a ‘moody and less commercial character study’. Now though, Paramount will only distribute the film theatrically (and cover marketing) with Apple covering the entire production budget and serving as the creative studio on the film. After its cinema run, the project will land on Apple TV+.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    K so not banished to Apple TV exclusive if Paramount is distributing the movie it will go wide unlike Irishman phew

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wolf (1994) was....kinda like that.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Irishman's theatrical run was fairly limited, actually, from what i recall. But Apple might have more pull with NATO than Netflix, since NATO sees Netflix in a more adversial light, whereas Apple tends to play nice with media companies.

But it does seem certain that, unless you catch it in theaters, the only way you'll be able to see it is through ATV+ or, presumably, an eventual BD release. Though, clearly, Apple would be banking on a lot of folks realizing that an ATV+ subscription for a year will cost them less than (or, possibly nothing) a theatrical ticket or BD purchase.

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    The article you posted says Paramount is handling the theatrical distribution, so I don't think Apple has to worry about anything having to do with NATO. Presumably the deal between Apple and Paramount already stipulates what the theatrical window will be, which has been the main point of dispute between exhibitors and streaming companies.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, very good point. I had forgotten that detail and was thinking too much about Irishman's model. So, yeah, then this will definitely go wider.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Princess_Tina likes this.
  16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    NATO really needs a less double-take inducing acronym.

17. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    RE movie theaters--I certainly hope to at some point be able to visit the couple of independent ones I like to frequent, which have their charm. Not to mention, some films--most recently, off the top of my head, like 1917--are definitely ones that just lose a lot when you try and digest them through a small screen. We'll likely see low-budget ones shift more to streaming, which is a shame, but streaming not being profitable directly as I understand, big chains and studios won't let them go without a fight.

Still...digesting my quota of cheesy nonsense this month, I finally watched Bloodsport, my review linked therein. Worth it just for Bolo's pecs. :)

godisawesome likes this.
  18. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I support peaceful protests and #BLM of course, but this is very painful to read

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    40% of theaters in China could close and, depending on when theaters reopen fully, could see up to 90+% loss in revenue this year.

Also, the director for Birds of Prey shut down Grace Randolph's bullcrap regarding the film:

“Excuse me, you have no idea what you’re talking about. It’s fascinating you would deem to try when you weren’t part of the process whatsoever… I thank you for the support. But let’s set the record straight: there were never **** pics. You peddling a pedophilia rumour is not journalism. Peddling any gossip is not journalism. I know. I was one.”

"Excuse me, you have no idea what you’re talking about." sums up GR's channel pretty succinctly. Hilariously, Randolph then continued to argue with the director over this.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    This is really not going to be a great year for exhibitors. :(

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Good for Cathy. I appreciate her standing up for her work and shutting bs like Grace Randolph down. When I was doing my fan sites and fan zine, I learned pretty fast to check my facts, research and check my facts again before I wrote anything that involved a deep dive or interview.

Never been a fan of Grace Randolph. Her kind are the exact reason I skip just about all fan YT stuff. The scant few tech reviewers I watch on YT are generally cross platform, calm and inject a bit of humor in with their knowledge. If they speculate incorrectly, they course correct rather quickly.

If I want to speculate, I’ll do so here knowing it’s all for fun, but trying to smear a production etc. when you had nothing to with it isn’t just tabloid journalism, it’s bad journalism no matter how you slice it.

As far as theaters, yeah, it is not going to be a good year for anyone.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Juliet316 and The2ndQuest like this.
  23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Tenet might well get people back in theatres. It's certainly a film I'd like to see in a cinema.

24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Under normal circumstances I would too, but I'm not going to risk a potentially fatal infection to watch it in a theater.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm in the at risk category that is supposed to avoid going outside at all, and though I've risked picking up my prescriptions and running, going to a crowded theatre is probably right out. I would like to see it though, and if I wasn't particularly vulnerable I think I'd take the risk, and I'm betting there are a lot of people out there that will do just that.