main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There were plans for a new movie theatre in my town to be built next year or so. I half wonder A) if those plans are still a go and B) if they'll think about keeping the theaters the same size but with much less seats than planned.

2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    For sure. We've already seen a lot of people exercising poor judgment in restaurants, beaches, etc. The only problem is that if a movie becomes associated with contagion, that stigma will be associated with the movie permanently - or at least for a very long time.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Welcome to the new Hollywood, where there are no paper scripts and no hi-fives!

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am in the same boat and am only going out for mom’s prescriptions. I’ve been moving away from seeing movies in the theater anyway, so waiting to see them at home is fine by me.

If it’s a great movie, I still feel the same way no matter what format I’ve seen the film in.

@Princess_Tina - eliminating paper scripts is a good thing.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Drive in theaters around my area are reopening soon so I am thinking that would be a viable option, just rolling down window once to scan ticket whilst both parties are wearing masks and gloves.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I thought about @BigAl6ft6 bringing the family to a drive in but to be honest we just so used to the comfort of home. The thought of seeing a movie in our car or even a theater right now even if there were open just isnt appealing.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I had stopped with food and drink in the cinema awhile ago given the length of a lot of films these days. It part 2 really challenged my bladder.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Couldn't have been more challenging than Avengers Endgame.... :p

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I didn't see that in the cinema - not really my cup of tea. Might see it when it comes to satellite though. So far IT2 has been the most challenging.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Master_Lok and Princess_Tina like this.
  13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Someday I should tell you about the time I watched the 8-hour War and Peace at the theater....

Iron_lord, Master_Lok and Luke02 like this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I would hope there were a few intermissions for that.

15. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Definitely!

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Concessions are the trick, but that's sort of the problem for any eatery. Pre-tubbing/bagging the popcorn could help. But there's still the issue of eating something with your hands. And that sort of limits you to dine-in theater menus- which you can't really serve without proximity. So they'd be back to square one.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Have I ever mentioned that Grace Randolph laughed derisively at a comment I made about Ready Player One on Letterboxd? I don't know how you come up with that **** pic thing and then laugh derisively at anything someone else says.

Still, she's my Letterboxd brush with "greatness." Some people get Sean Baker liking their reviews. I get Grace Randolph mocking me. It was fun.

19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    More on the possible AMC bankruptcy

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Your reviews are wonderful and thoughtful.

I do not have anything nice to say about Grace, so I won’t say anything.

21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Thank you so much. :) The thing she laughed at me about was defending the Saturday Night Fever scene in Ready Player One on a discussion thread. So it wasn't a particularly deep or thoughtful post. :p Her response was something like, "lol at the guy going to bat for disco" or something like that. Didn't like the movie overall, but I thought that scene was cheesy enough that it worked. But I genuinely have no problem with anybody disliking anything about Ready Player One; it's a weird movie.

Juliet316, Master_Lok and Luke02 like this.
  23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I haven't seen Ready Player One so I cannot comment on all that. I am glad you are here doing what you do. I learn a lot about modern film (and why I love older genre films so much more) from you and other fans here. It's part of the reason why I love this board so much (and filmtwitter where I am also constantly taken to "school"). You'd make an excellent, legit critic because you see things from almost every angle and are very thoughtful. Plus, you see almost everything.

I stick to my lane and try to be fair in what I love (foreign and domestic genre content). Sometimes, I am Captain Cranky. To be fair, may be extreme metal/punk/weirdo genre film score gal, but there is some good disco music and Funk is awesome.

Musicality aside, when it comes to any of our fannish loves, we all have differences of opinion. [face_cowboy]

Please keep going. [:D]I'll keep reading. :)

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    AMC is definitely a nicer chain than some. We had a super-nice Warren theater around here for a while and it was one of the most luxurious movie going experiences I've ever had. And then they got bought out by Regal and it has just been slowly listing out of the sky like a helicarrier at the end of Winter Soldier ever since. At first it was still nice, because it was just nice. But the upkeep stopped and the nice carpet has gotten dirty and the entire menu was swapped out for some of the most inedible swill you've ever had. I genuinely didn't know you could make cheese fries inedible, but damn it, those things were disgusting.