main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Luke02 likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wonder if those mature films will have frame rate issues like The Simpsons had?

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hopefully it's not an add on for cost but it probably will be. but I wanna watch Alien and Deadpool and Logan in 4k streaming dangnabit!

Maybe that's where they can put Moon Knight if they want an original MCU content for it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Or, more importantly, where they can put the Defenders once they either continue those characters or acquire the existing shows themselves.

5. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I think the last one returns in February.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's the rights to use/develop projects with the characters, though the actual original shows still get to air on NF for awhile, but, in a few years, one assumes either D+ will have them available via this pin code system or on Hulu.

EDIT- Regal has secured $750m injection in conjunction with deferred rent payments with landlords. This will allow them to operate throughout 2021 and beyond, assuming they reopen by May (otherwise, they'll be good until at least fall 2021).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    And they are going to need it @The2ndQuest as about 700 theaters closed overnight in North America:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...0-theaters-reclose-overnight-in-north-america

Assuming the best case scenario and the pandemic really is subsiding/ending next summer, will people in a rush to head back in the movie houses? I guess but part of me thinks a lot of people will not feel like it especially after being coup up for much of the winter. I think (again assuming) people will want to run out to live sports and concerts along with all of the festivals/events that were cancelled last summer instead of running into a movie house. I know my wife and I have talked about that about the things we want to do after this is over with (both with and without the kids) and going to see a movie is not on the list. I don't know maybe I am wrong or perhaps going to see a movie will be seen as one of the more safer things you can do as the pandemic begins to fade compare to a concert, sporting event, theme park, festival etc.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Those 700 reclosures wouldn't affect Regal- they've remained closed through the pandemic.

Even after being couped up at home, going out to see a movie is still seen as "going out" compared to watching something at home. It's getting out of, and away from, the house, usually paired with dining or other activities. Same thing for family outings on the weekends- you're likely not just going to see a movie, but rather doing so before or after lunch or some other activity like bowling or going to a park.

Plus, as you say, it may have the added bonus of feeling safer than something like a festival or concert where people are going to be packed in closer together than they would in a theater, with theaters being venues that have been developing and implementing cleaning procedures for months compared to concert halls, clubs and arenas that have been mostly shuttered for over a year.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  9. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Ultimately I hope at the minimum is the couple of indie theaters I frequent(ed) make it. Other than that, whatever will be will be at this point. There's other industries suffering, and I also hope as many folks who get their livelihood from them all get through.
    A belated thank you! I've started watching the reboot film, and so far, it's okay. Pamela in this one, fleeting her appearance is, ain't no Bestie Palmer however.

christophero30 likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Last week AMC extended the A-List auto-renewal deadline by 3 months to March 3rd.

Also, with Croods coming out tomorrow, today is the last day you're likely to find Tenet still playing on IMAX screens (worth noting given that Nolan's controversial sound mixes are optimized for that format and tend to mitigate [or, at least, minimize] some of the criticisms towards them).

They're actually starting to push the advertising for the film for both that ongoing theatrical run and the home video release hitting in 3 weeks.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looks like cinemas in England can reopen after the lockdown ends on Dec 2 and can remain open for tier 1 and 2 areas (with distancing and masks, of course). Not sure on tier 3 (the highest) - it might be drive-ins only.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Netflix has a chance at beating MGM's Oscar record for the most films nominated for Best Picture. Though the extended deadline is keeping that in question.

Meanwhile, the last surviving (and, now, restored) animatronic Bruce model has been installed in its new home:

Dagobahsystem and Luke02 like this.
  13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Any word @The2ndQuest when Tenet could be moving to rental home video? I know it's going to be available for purchase next month but I have not read when it you can rent it. I assume sometime January.

And apparently the news media finally got wind of what we been talking for about well 8 months now:

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    If any analysts want to hire me for successfully calling this one back in the first lockdown, my PMs are open. :p

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I noticed the Russo Bros "Cherry" is getting a limited theatrical release in Feb and AppleTV in March, which technically squeaks it under the wire for the Academy Award 2 month extension for 2020 movies qualification (which seems increasingly pointless now but at least Cherry is gonna apparently get on that).

16. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    TCM is doing a Sean Connery tribute tonight. Later on, they're showing "Marnie", "The Hill" and "The Man Who Would Be King". I'm a bit surprised, though, at the two Bond movies they chose. They started with "Thunderball", an OK movie, but not one of the best. And they're about to show "You Only Live Twice", where a burned out and fed up Connery sleepwalks through the movie. They could've chosen better.

heels1785 likes this.
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I mean, the two to show are FRWL and Goldfinger, right? If you want to shake things up and not just show the two that everybody expects, I'd actually pick Never Say Never Again, just because it is Bond from a different angle and Connery playing a different Bond than in his earlier movies, and I honestly think he's kind of invested again in NSNA which he never really was in the official Bond films after Goldfinger in my opinion. Eh, he still works sporadically in Thunderball, but he's not consistently trying in that one. And then YOLT and DAF . . . truly sleepwalking. I actually prefer it to Thunderball.

soitscometothis and heels1785 like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don’t recall reading anything about that- and I dont really have any experience renting new movies (since I usually catch them in theaters, buy them or rent them down the road long after they’ve been made available as such) so its difficult for me to predict that.

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I’m guessing it’s licensing-related. Somebody has already paid for the TV rights to Bond. I doubt Bond movies are cheap to license relative to the highfalutin and often obscure old cinema TCM mostly shows. I’m not really up on TCM’s business model, but I would guess that these were what they were able to get the rights to air, or to get without busting their budget.

It’s also possible whoever was in charge of programming the night is just one of those fans of the bigger, cheesier, Moorier style of Bond movie, and genuinely wanted Thunderball and YOLT ( at least they had the good taste to avoid DAF). There could be other factors at play, too. YOLT has Blofeld, and is a good example of the iconic “Bond film” type — grandiose, famous villain, big Ken Adam villain lair, volcano ninjas. Thunderball has a little of that TCM “bet you haven’t seen this one on TV all the time” angle and is about as close as you can get to Goldfinger on the cheap.

Of course, if they wanted to go less-seen and less-hailed and had really good taste, they’d air Dr. No and NSNA.

20. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'd understood that TCM right the rights to all of the Bond films, or at least they did at one time. I figure rather than YOLT, they could've gone with one of his better post-Bond roles, like "The Anderson Tapes" or "The Great Train Robbery".

christophero30 likes this.
  21. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I prefer his later period, like Untouchables, Last Crusade and Red October.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  22. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Since today is Thanksgiving, what films would you consider to be Thanksgiving films?

Twitter has 2002 Spider-Man, which I can agree with.

I’ll add “Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone.”

It has nothing to do with thanksgiving, but it feels like a Thanksgiving movie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  23. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The Incredibles is my number one fun for the whole family movie. Not just something for everyone. More than one thing. Many things for everyone.

24. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Mistress America

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I always used to watch Avalon (1990) when it aired on TV; but I haven't seen it on in quite a long time.

"You cut the turkey without me? The hell with you!"