main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I was hoping to catch a theatrical screening that was called off for obvious reasons; might wait if that is rescheduled or if not will grab the blu-ray, I'm also certainly curious.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Depending on timing, I might actually end up seeing this version of G3 before getting around to seeing the original.

4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Still have a lot to catch up on, but right now my top 5 film moments of the year are:

Questionnaire scene (Never Rarely Sometimes Always)
    "You will not kill Paul" (Da 5 Bloods)
    "Silly Games" (Lovers Rock)
    Drive to Hendon (Red, White and Blue)
    Reading at the dinner table (Education)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    So, I haven't posted about it yet, but I did go to the theater on Christmas to see Promising Young Woman, which, by the way, is fantastic. My screening wasn't crowded at all, but the theater as a whole? Hopping. It was busy. Long line outside the theater to buy tickets. Five concession registers open with a long line at each of them. Everybody was masked and, for the most part, maintaining distancing (which was part of the reason the lines were so long, I suppose). But it felt like old times, honestly. I'm assuming it was all for Wonder Woman 1984.

So, anyway, in the "we'll release our big movies once people go back to the theaters/people will go back to the theaters when you release your big movies" debate, what I saw on Christmas makes me think maybe the theaters have been right this whole time. Tenet didn't exactly seem to bear them out, but then Tenet was not a franchise film and July was still early days in this thing, so people's individual caution level was still pretty high, I think. I didn't pay attention to the box office numbers as a whole and I know lots of places across the country theaters are still shut down or very restricted, so my anecdotal evidence doesn't extrapolate or anything, but still, I was quite surprised honestly and it gives me hope that theaters can come back to profitability after the vaccine rolls out.

6. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  7. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Promising Young Woman and News of the World are Universal so they'll be on VOD in about a week and a half or so I'll be getting to them then.

Wonder Woman 1984 was available for PVOD rental (30 bucks plus tax) in Canada (we have HBO Max on Crave but not the WB "theatrical" movie list they just added) which makes me wonder what'll happen in the US after the 30 Day HBOMax Exclusivity streaming. Will it be a PVOD on January 25th in the US, cuz I sure as heck know they are not going to suddenly yank it for PVOD rental in Canada for no reason by Jan 25th.

rewatched Avengers Infinity War yesterday (because awesome and also Wandavision prep as it's their most centric film), had me thinking that if theatres never go back to the way it was in the beforetime, still got to see IW and Endgame in theatres on opening night shows which was a pretty fantastic experience, very rock concert.

Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  9. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That seems... unlikely to me. I don't see any universe where Comcast and AT&T are allowed to merge. And even if they spun-off the media companies separately, I don't see Universal and WB having compatible visions, even in a franchise-focused world. Harry Potter and some of the TV sitcoms are the only point of crossover that makes any real sense, outside of maybe minor animation benefits (but adding Woody Woodpecker to the Looney Tunes isn't exactly going to shift the tidal forces of the world).

PimpBacca likes this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    My cat was staring out the window at a plastic bag in the wind on our front patio. My wife asked him jokingly, Do you ever feel like a plastic bag
    Drifting through the wind, wanting to start again?
    where she was obviously quoting the Katy Perry song "Firework" but "American Beauty" immediately came to my mind.

Questions
    • Did Katy have American Beauty in mind when writing that lyric, do you think?
    • My wife has never seen American Beauty (1999). Do you think she would like it now, knowing what we know about Kevin Spacey? I'm curious myself how I'd feel about re-watching it at this point.
    • Has anyone watched an "old" movie recently that they viewed in a different light because of "recent" news about an actor in said movie?

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    American Beauty is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen, long before anything came out about Spacey.

But no, I tend to be able to separate the actor (or director) from the work pretty well unless there’s like a really strong specific link.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    So, I was going to ask . . . I went to the theater to see WW84 and it's the first time I've had the option of seeing a movie in both IMAX and Dolby Cinema. I did some research online and I ended up going to a showing in Dolby Cinema. Anybody here have a strong opinion about which is better? The online research seemed to indicate Dolby has better picture quality whereas IMAX just has a bigger picture and then the sound is better with Dolby. I kind of feel I'd need to see the very same movie in both formats before I could make a straight up and down judgment on the matter, but I did like the Dolby sound and it was definitely a bright picture and I'm the guy who is constantly griping about how dim the projection is in theaters these days. Anybody have an opinion?

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Good Final question on Jeopardy tonight. This 2017 movie was the highest grossing film set in World War I. Every one of the contestants guessed wrong (and so did I).

15. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I have done both for the same movie before. I think the picture quality is slightly better on the Dolby plus, it's not like the screen is that much smaller (mainly in the height aspect). I like the Dolby more since at my local theater it has the recliner seats while the IMAX doesn't plus it has the speakers under the seats too so for action movies it's great. Although for Tenet it was essentially a non-stop massage for the end piece. For a first option, I'll usually always pick the Dolby theater but for some movies I'll try to catch them in IMAX too.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Wonder Woman! Good question phrasing, nice.

Master_Lok and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  17. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    but a fast and furious crossover with Harry Potter would be amazing right?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    What on earth did people guess? A movie from 2017 set in World War I? What other options are there? Did 1917 come out in 2017? That would have been the only film I could have even considered other than Wonder Woman.

Mine also has the recliner seats in Dolby and not in IMAX. And the Dolby theater is much newer as well, so there's also that. I think I'm coming down on side Dolby as well.

BigAl6ft6 and Master_Lok like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Dolby Cinema screens have stunning image clarity. I don't know if they still do the demo before the movie but even before it points it out, the deeper blacks are really noticeable. IMAX just has the size advantage.

However, DC screens tend to seat fewer people since the recliners and consoles take up so much space. So, while that isn't an issue currently due to the need for social distancing during the pandemic, under normal circumstances it's a real freaking bummer if you're trying to get the energy of seeing something with a packed house (or at least a sizeable audience). IMAX screens tend to be more popular in general as well, so you get a multiplcation of those benefits. Seeing Endgame in IMAX vs DC was the difference between uncontrollable body shaking emotion and a lazy river.

The absolute worst thing about DC (at least at AMC, where I assume they are exclusive to), however, are the freaking terrible recliner setting design. You cannot just raise your legrest up by itself. The legrest will only raise to a 20-30 degree angle (which is more uncomfortable than having literally no legrest at all) before you are forced to then recline the rest of the seat back. Which means it is impossible to use the legrest and remain upright.

I have no idea why some moron decided that was a good idea (they already have separate controls! WHY would you make it stop working part way through?!) or how no one else pointed out how unbelievably stupid the design was before they manufactured and installed tens of thousands of them.

That said, I take it on a film-by-film basis. If something was shot in IMAX, or is a total event film that demands a good crowd, I'll go with IMAX. If those aren't factors, or if I think the film will benefit from the deeper blacks (like, say a horror film- where the scale intimacy offsets the limited seating capacity problem a little), I'll go with DC for the image quality (and just not use the recliner functions at all).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    All three of the contestants (and me) guessed this one (also released in 2017).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's WWII, that's even worse. [face_plain]

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The bottom line is that it was a trick question; everyone was thinking a recent war movie.

23. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Dunkirk is such a good movie.
    I should rewatch that again.

BigAl6ft6 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I don't know that it qualifies as a trick question if it specifically identifies that the movie is set in WWI and the "trick" is getting people to guess a movie that is set in WWII. If it was, "this 2017 world war movie is the highest grossing movie set in that particular war," then that would be a trick question.

And WW is a war movie. It has a super-hero in it, but it's a war movie. Even more so than First Avenger in my opinion.

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Actually, one guessed Dunkirk, two guessed 1917.

They’re having a bad week overall; Trebek’s last week of shows is full of dud contestants.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.