main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Apple can cash it...and then some. They need some kind of big release to get people onboard with Apple TV+. (They just extended everyone’s free trial year until this Summer. That is the second extension recently. I am not on board.) Most folks I know have no desire to even start the free trial. So Apple needs something major to make their Hollywood arm legit.

I understand your point though.

Juliet316 and christophero30 like this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Good. Hopefully by summer most people have a vaccine and can go back. I miss movie theatres.

DarkGingerJedi and Dagobahsystem like this.
  3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    They will be open this summer just with limit on capacity which equals most likely no tentpole movies.

Dagobahsystem and Juliet316 like this.
  4. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Here’s some news I’ve personally been waiting for.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  5. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    At the moment, I'm listening to Yojimbo in Japanese which I don't speak except for a few words..
    Not watching as I'm multi tasking.
    It's beautiful!

Looking forward to watching it soon.

I wonder how much Yojimbo made at the box office? Wasn't it more successful than Seven Samurai?

Edit: The soundtrack to Yojimbo is gangbusters I can say that. Especially the percussion parts. Still haven't been watching it or reading the subtitles. Just listening to it.
    Figure it gives me a leg up when I finally watch it, probably tonight.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    soitscometothis likes this.
  6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It's a great movie.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  7. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    I'm looking forward to finally seeing it.

And I'm grateful to everyone here who recommended the CC blu ray boxset with Sanjuro.

I have so many great films to watch in my future it's almost overwhelming. :cool:

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Luke02 likes this.
  9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Yeah I was wondering about that @The2ndQuest as Bond will be in the can for over two years. Sooner or later they need to update the thing LOL!

Hollywood is betting that the Biden's administration goal of going back to normalcy by late summer can be achieved as they for now not pushing any films back:

I don't see how Black Widow (May) or even Top Gun 2 (July) are not pushed back. Theaters should be up and running by then but with limit capacity therefore it wont be worth it for studios to push their big tentpole franchises movies out yet. So my guess is those two get pushed back unless "normalcy" comes faster then we expect.

And HBO Max double it's subscribers last quarter and now have nearly 18 million:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/27/hbo...le-to-17point2-million-in-fourth-quarter.html

So for now the gamble by WB is paying off. Just will they be able to keep subscribers post pandemic remains to be seen. $15 a month with movies premiering on it is a bargain but without it? Not so much.

10. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    So Bond and MI6 will be doing Zoom calls then?

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    A little more about binge-watching the movies of Benson and Moorhead, ranked as followed:

Spring (2015)
    A phenomenally good supernatural romantic comedy This movie is so well made on such a tiny budget. The effects are flawless. The actors are talented and charming, the story is well-written. Indie comic sci fi horror fantasy rarely gets this good. Benson and Moorhead are arguably too good for their chosen subgenres.

The Endless (2017)
    The second of two movies built around the creepiness of obsolete visual media. It's not exactly an original horror trope, but the boys take it in a new direction here

Synchronic (2019)
    A time-travel crime drama? All their films get labeled sci fi/horror, but the reality is that they're all comedies, and this is a great time-travel comedy. Synchronic seems like a pandemic victim, but every genre buff should watch it on whatever streaming service. The Benson/Moorhead attention to detail and lightly comic dialogue just makes everything work in all their movies. They are masters of this technique, whatever it is, exactly. That's what separates a movie like "The Endless" from a much cheesier low budget genre piece like "Time Trap." Both of those 2017 indie sci fi flicks build around similar conceits, but the detailed execution and phenomenal talent behind "The Endless" really stand out.

Resolution (2012)
    Another indie comedy masquerading as sci fi/horror.

To me, the talents of Benson and Moorhead outshine the likes of Denis Villeneuve and Alex Garland, but they have not yet had the popular breakthrough they deserve. Synchronic might have come closer in a different year. Whatchagonnado? It's inconceivable to me that so few people seem to have seen "The Endless" and "Spring," or that I'd never even heard of "Spring" a week ago. I feel bad about it. Nadia Hilker should be an international superstar.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Master_Lok likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If fall is a "regular reopenings" target goal, it's quite possible they'll keep BW and TG2 where they are in the lead-up to that, accepting a lower BO (but higher than current) or a longer, less-competitive run (there is going to be a glut of movies in theaters by the fall) as a tradeoff. If only just to keep the schedule moving while still taking in the necessary minimum theatrical revenue those films require.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Well, I am 100% down for a James Wan Giallo-style horror film!

As soon as I can rent -or buy- Malignant, I’ll do that.

This image is very Dario Argento and giallo-like (The glove looks like it was swiped from the set of Deep Red. Add a touch of vengeful religiousness in that golden winged dagger and the ragged sleeve could also be a nod to the angel of death.)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    DarthMane2 and Dagobahsystem like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    WB Theatrical movies that get HBOMax release in the States are VOD in Canada (and in theatres, assuming someone out east provinces bubble can go to the movies cuz those are the only ones open in the country) so far with on Christmas Wonder Woman 1984 and The Witches and just today I rented The Little Things. Interesting quirk, WW84 and The Witches were 30 dollar rentals. I expected the same for WB's The Little Things. But it was in line with Universal's recent VOD rentals, 25 dollars. 5 dollars less than WW8 and The Witches.

Y'know what that means? Officially blockbuster movie tier pricing has arrived! It was going to happen eventually! I mean, they were sort of getting away with it by having blockbusters be on premium bigger screens and 3D and moving chairs which could tick up the price a few extra bucks. But Little Things and WW84 are the exact same visual quality rental for UHD4k, no extra bells and whistles. So they're kinda just admitting that "Yes, this movie which cost more to make is going to cost you more to watch." (Disney's Premiere Access charge for Mulan and the upcoming animated films are sorta that too but you need to be a D+ sub and extra $ for the "early" month long access).

Ah well, at least I won't have to pay extra to see Zack Synder's Justice League, that is a HBOMax original which is getting released on Crave on the same date. Probably because it isn't WB theatrical like the recently announced slate was. Different pockets for AT&T, I guess.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Time to invest in that $150,000 110-inch micro LED tv.

Luke02 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm seeing an oxymoron in there somewhere......[face_thinking]

Master_Lok likes this.
  17. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    The MATRIX: Resurrections

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Matrix: Sorry for bumping off Neo and Trinity, it's all good now.

Luke02 likes this.
  19. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    I saw David Lynch The Art Life last night.

Just stopping by to say I highly recommend it if you like documentaries about artists and filmmakers. Even if Lynch isn't one of your favorite directors, you still might enjoy this film. He's a very fascinating, brilliant person.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    darthcaedus1138 and Master_Lok like this.
  20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I believe somewhere on this forum I literally posted an image where the joke was “Matrix IV: Neo undied” so I think I’m supposed to be at least ironically happy about this.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    An old film concept I once plotted out (that had a lot of elements inspired by The Matrix, among other sources) involved an installment whose subtitle was "Resurrection". And I don't want to change it but I feel like now I have to.

EDIT- As of Monday the 1st, India will be allowing 100% capacity in theaters again. Though there are still some restrictions and precautions such as mandatory mask usage, thermal screenings, etc. They apparently also have an issue with spitting, which never occurred to me would be a problem you'd encounter in a theater.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Master_Lok likes this.
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I haven't watched all of the animated DC films, but this upcoming one involving WWII seems interesting. I remember reading about how comics didn't really want to get involved in real world events like wars because having those superheroes getting involved betrays the soldiers who actually served. But it looks like this movie won't just be about the Allied vs. Axis powers; it's got some monsters involved to throw some kind of wrench in the grand scheme of the Nazis I guess.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Unless it's just a massive three page wall of text by Roy Thomas explaining how the JSA was not able to directly participate in the conflict because Hitler, using the Spear of Destiny, created a magical field of protection for the Axis powers, is it really a JSA story about WWII?

Seriously they used to just ****ing drone on and on about that.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 and soitscometothis like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I never read Flashpoint but I know the bullet points and I did just watch Flashpoint Paradox which felt like a good highlight reel version of what happens there and the ending worked emotionally. Also recommended relevant viewing for the forthcoming Flashpoint movie although I'm thinking they'll change Flashpoint Batman to Burton-verse/Earth 89/Keaton Batman because if you cast Michael Keaton in a multiverse romp he better be playing that Batman, as good as the emotional depth potential is for Flashpoint Batman but Keaton better be the OG guy. Not sure how the final scene would work if it's just a message from one Bruce Wayne multiverse Batman to another though.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Apparently you didn't see any of the Transformers movies.

The2ndQuest likes this.