main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The first game is just the plot of Enter the Dragon and multiple characters were introduced because of glitches, the ease of recoloring sprites, and arcade rumors. When the movie came out some of the characterization decisions were incorporated into the games as a joke. Ed Boon is pretty open about all of that. It's only as the series kept going that they decided it would be fun to keep everything well sorted out and they began experimenting with more in-depth storytelling with spin-offs like Mythologies, and obviously nowadays the story modes are probably the best in the genre, but my point is it didn't start that way and that's kind of funny, is all.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    This is basically all I know about MK and I'm excited to see it.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I mean, by time the movie came out there were 3 games out (and, one assumes, the fourth in development). Come to think of it, while the first was lighter on story content (which is what you to allude to, I assume), by time the of the second game we had the whole backstory between the ninja clans, the legacy of the Shaolin Monks and the whole hierarchy of Shang Tsung, Shao Kahn and the outworld characters, etc building upon the tournament and realms lore, etc.

And all of that was pretty much enough for them to center the first film around with excess to spare (albeit in a film that, itself, is partially [and, perhaps, unavoidably, given the game's premise] inspired by Enter the Dragon). And that's before MK3 expanded things even further, and MK4 beyond that. I guess the lore and such was always a part of the experience growing up with the series from the beginning that I never saw it being light in that area (especially compared to its contemporaries- MK was LOTR compared to SF2).

You should also go in knowing that it is impossible for the new movie to have a better soundtrack than the original's. But, other than that, you should be good ;).

Gamiel and Master_Lok like this.
  4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It doesn't help that SF was Capcom, so even what backstory there was wound up buried beneath a mountain of translation errors, something Capcom only got better about in... *double checks notes* 2017.

Gamiel and The2ndQuest like this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    They passed their initial $2 million goal a few minutes ago. Can't help but think of this:

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I didn't really care for Snowpiercer. There was some great stuff in there, but it just didn't work overall for me. Evans is pretty bad actually. The school section with Alison Pill as a machine-gun wielding, piano playing teacher was the best bit.

Memories of Murder, which I was lucky enough to get to see in a theater back in . . . October, was it, is absolutely phenomenal. One of the best final shots ever in my opinion.

Sarge likes this.
  8. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Would you say it's inspired by or a sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

9. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

Top Gun: Maverick now with a Thanksgiving release now, taking MI 7 release date. I don't know if having Black Widow one week after scared them off the 4th of July date or not.

christophero30 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    That's a bummer. Top Gun: Mavericks totally feels like a summer blockbuster and the Forth of July seemed like a perfect spot.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's apparently quite the reshuffle whatever the rationale. Kind of wonder if there's a production delay considering the knock-on effects for other Tom Cruise movies.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    A bit of good news about the Paramount reshuffle, is that the Snake Eyes Origins movie has been moved up three months from October to July.

Lobot's Wig likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Watched Nomadland on DisneyPlusStar (within 13 hours of new content drops for Friday got through Falcon and Winter Solider ep 4, Solar Opposites s2e1 and Nomadland) and it's quite excellent. Although what's interesting is on the D+Star "details" tab it has a rather long-winded PR write up explanation and it calls David Strathairn's "gripping performance". Of all the various complementary adjectives I would use to describe Strathaim's work in the film, wouldn't exactly land on "gripping".

Master_Lok and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    They were probably pushing him for a Best Supporting nomination.

BigAl6ft6 and Master_Lok like this.
  15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm wondering if Paraborg was seeing the mixed vaccination numbers/combined with the surge in COVID cases/lockdowns happening in other countries and figured that summer was going to be a another movie disaster due to another COVID surge.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think I'd have to go with Guidman- BW moving into July pushed them out of July, which meant they had to push MI7 back to avoid double-Cruising.

17. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    It would have been sweet to have the Top Gun movie in July though.

Sarge likes this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No doubt. As long as I can see in IMAX, though, it doesn't matter that much, in the long run. Up until the IMAX 3D rerelease, I had only ever seen the first movie on cable and video on who-knows-what dates of the year.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  19. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Yes, but Top Gun in July would have been sweet. I would have gone to the theater with a couple friends to watch it.

It's like if they moved Nightmare on Elm Street part 12 from October 31st to January 12th. :p

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've never attended anything at those chains (that I can recall, at least), but I was aware of the Arclight being seen as a landmark. Though it sounds like there is some hope for that location because of that (combined with it being one of the highest-grossing locations, as mentioned in the article).

On a more nation-wide upside: that article indicates LA county was expecting 100% theater capacity by Memorial Day, several weeks ahead of the anticipated state-wide schedule. That bodes well for theater capacity restrictions being lifted (not just reduced) elsewhere.

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Darth Guy likes this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Came across this on YouTube today. Not sure where this guy gets all of his info from. Some of these sequels were inevitable; but some seriously have you second-guessing.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    feat. in Deadpool and Promising Young Woman

Fantastic usage of this song in both, fantastic opening/closing scenes. Completely different context but works perfectly in both. If there's bad usage of this song in a flick, I haven't seen it yet.

25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015