main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or he is hiding another accent that don't fit with what he is trying to present himself as / the social circles he moves in.

Was thinking the same thing.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    This whole discussion just has me thinking about Robin Hood: Men In Tights:

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    IMO he absolutely nails it. Most people would probably have to do a Google/IMDb search just to identify any movie of his that he's actually communicating in his native British.

4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

So this is basically Mann’s The Godfather Part II?

Guidman , Luke02 and tom like this.
  5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Olivia Cooke is really good at accents , it's actually quite weird when you see her on chat shows talking in her Bolton accent.

And Sean Connery of course , he literally can do any accent that sounds scottish.

Juliet316 , BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  6. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Heat 2 is only a book? Not a movie?

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    "Hi, I'm Michael Mann. People look back fondly on my film Heat for its memorable performances and deft mixture of compelling dialogue and exhilarating action. But what I always regretted was not getting a slice of that sweet, sweet novelization money. To correct this, the novelization of my film Heat 2 will be the only way to experience the film. Some might say, 'That's just a novel.' But it's more than a novel. It's the Heat 2 novel."

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    A sequel to a self-contained film in which the main and most interesting character dies at the end. Sign me up!

10. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    There's something I've wanted to post about for a few months now and am finally getting to it. I feel like Ed Norton in Fight Club describing how he works for a major car manufacturer and has to calculate out-of-court settlements vs cost of a recall.

Since late summer the theater I work at is doing "premium pricing" on tickets. The ticket cost of the newest movie is $1 more than the rest. It's only supposed to be for the first week but we did it for Spider-man NWH for 3 weeks.

This bothers me for two reasons.
    1. We are desperate to have customers come back and I don't think charging more for what's new and popular is going to win us points with them. Trying to make max amount of money per person doesn't work imo. Charging more for IMAX, 3D, someone spraying Silly Sting on you, I'm ok with because the customers choose that. They don't get to choose to pay $1 less per ticket even for a normal screen.

2. Unfortunately, Hollywood judges how "good" a movie is based on how much $$ it made. This policy, IMO, artificially inflates the BO totals. Our two biggest screens hold 165 people X 4 shows a day = a maximum of $660 extra per day! Multiply the three weeks = $13,860 just from two screens in one theater (assuming for sake of easy math those shows are sold out which they mostly were the first two weeks).

How much extra has SM and every other big release since late July made because theaters are raising the price specifically for it? Matrix 4 was unlucky I guess cuz the premium price was still on SM at the time.

"Which theater do you work for?"
    "A major one"

Sarge likes this.
  11. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Interesting that you bring up Vincent Price. I realized that the plot of Spider-Man No Way Home had some similarities to the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo: there, ghosts are unleashed from a box and Scooby Doo and company have to help round them up. They're assisted (or employed) by a warlock who's voiced by Vincent Price.

12. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
  13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, it's not an odd pull, Vincent Price was the model of Dr. Strange for most artists (it's more unclear what Steve Ditko intended - Stan Lee claimed the model was unambiguously Vincent Price, but Ditko, in the traditional Ditko fashion of somehow being very combative and insistent on how clear the situation was while not clarifying anything because he was a poor writer, was very cagey in most of his essays on the matter), to the point that now his middle name is Vincent.

Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

I mean, technically he's also American which probably helps

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah but he still has a think British accent nonetheless when he's doing interviews.

Juliet316 and Gamiel like this.
  16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    According to Wikipedia he was born in LA but the family moved back to the UK when he was 3. I'd imagine it's the British accent that comes more naturally to him, he grew up and went to school there

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    You know those greeting cards that played music? Like it would be a birthday card and when you opened it, it would play a little beep-boop version of Happy Birthday? Remember those?

I really hope the Heat 2 novel has a feature where every time you turn a page, it restarts a midi version of God Moving Over the Face of the Waters.

18. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    The only film I ever saw him in was Amazing Spiderman, and I had no idea that he was British until I read it in this thread. Didn't like his portrayal of Peter Parker. There seemed to be a nasty undertone to his performance, and the film itself was terrible.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Isn't it weird we've had two British Spider-Men and only one all-American one?

BlueYogurt likes this.
  20. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    I never thought his physical appearance was based on Vincent Price, and I read that comic when I was a kid. In fact, it was one of my favorite titles. I always thought his features were based on Gilbert Roland (same for Tony Stark).

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It'll even out when a Yank is cast as James Bond next.

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    There was this little movie before he was even thought of taking on the role of Parker.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think the ASM crew they didn't even screen test him for Spider-Man, they just watched Social Network. Totally fair.

Garfield may be up for some Oscar tin for Tick Tick Boom (to be fair, he's great in it). And maybe a musical showdown in Best Picture of West Side Story vs. Tick Tick Boom. And a non-zero chance that No Way Home could score a nomination for Best Picture (Showing some love to the mega blockbusters ala Titanic, Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Black Panther rule)

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Unless…he’s not totally dead.

*cue techno soundtrack*

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    He was only mostly dead; there's a big difference.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022