main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    yes pls take that putrid pit of klysteric garbage to any of the many, many, many MCU threads

also @BigAl6ft6 has never been more wrong than in their dismissal of Titanic… never

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  2. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I looked for a thread (admittedly not hard enough) and couldn't find one.
    I mean, some of the movies being discussed here are not much better.

Never mind, found it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  3. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Thank u

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It’s really not complicated- few people are actually going to question why a movie in an animated universe is animated, because that’s kinda something most people would assume to be the case going in ;).

The film handles it pretty straight forward though. I don’t know the exact words but it opens with two simple sentences along the lines of “When he was a kid, Andy bought a toy based on a movie he saw. This is that movie.”.

I would heavily disagree there (although it is an interesting question to consider what is James Cameron’s weakest film, as it’s difficult to argue he has a weak film, with True Lies, Titanic & Avatar all having different strengths, weaknesses and genre goals).

Where I would agree is that there is a definite sense of divide between the two halves of the film. And while the second half is much more traditional Cameron spectacle and suspense, the first half is very much still worth watching.

It’s just that that first half is aiming for a sweeping, period drama focused on the grandeur of the ship setting out to sea and exploring the class divides aboard the doomed vessel (not to mention gives us time to get to know the characters [fictional and historical] so that we care about them to some degree or another by time things get dangerous).

Having the frame of mind of approaching this portion of the film as witnessing something historical lost to time (and deep sea ocean life) in its brief prime and hubris is partially key, IMO.

You’ve already found it, but for anyone else who may need the link, the general MCU thread is here. Also worth noting that you’ll find an index with links to all of the other MCU threads in the opening post of that general one.

Eternals divided people, it seems, but I think you’ll find Shang-Chi to be very good. Far more well-recieved, without any of the caveats needed to defend Multiverse of Madness.

Please don’t be rude to people asking for help (not to mention it’s particularly counterproductive when you want said discussion to be redirected there). Keep in mind that, even if you have a humorous intent, that the tone may not come across in text.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  5. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm. To wait or not to wait? Seems like this might be the last installment of the Spielberg/Williams collaboration (beyond his producer role for Indy 5) as far as full scores go. Might be worth going the extra mile for, even if it isn't a traditional Spielberg spectacle film or Oscar drama.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    What can I say, I just love the bit when the boat skins, reminds me of Cameron firing on all cylinders. First half does sell the grandeur of the experience and all but I get way more of a kick outta everything going crazy, as Cameron does in his sustained climaxes.

Unrelated, subbed to Paramount Plus for Beavis and Butt-Head Do the Universe and did not disappoint. From the earlier film, this monologue by Beavis may be in like my top 5 movie monologues ever. There's a bit close to this in Do the Universe but this remains the top.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Looks like a lot of people went to the movies this weekend. Probably due to the heatwave. Elvis and Maverick tied for #1 with 30 million, The Black Phone and JWD are in the low 20's. Maverick is definitely the film to beat this summer.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    solojones likes this.
  10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

It's just impressive that the film to beat is actually a good movie.

christophero30 likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Before IW came out, it was not uncommon to see TWS ranked as one of the best Marvel films if not the best.

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    This is the western I simply must watch

Rogue1-and-a-half and bstnsx704 like this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That's because TWS is the best Marvel film. [face_flag]

16. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Cool.
    I don't have to like it though. To me the first two Captain America movies are atrocious. The third one is quite good.

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    What was bad about the original CA?

18. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    The Russo Bros' Cap movies are some of the most lifelessly directed movies in the MCU. They feel totally anonymous and devoid of any real directorial style. Incredibly flat, washed out, muddy imagery – the pinnacle of what's wrong with so much of Marvel's stuff visually. That carries over into the Earth sequences in their Avengers movies, the Jon Watts Spider-Man stuff, Black Widow, etc. Though really, if you want to go farther back than them, I guess it was Whedon that set a lot of that awful precedent visually. His first Avengers is literally shot like an episode of an ABC or CW show that happens to have a decent special effects budget.

Was just coming in here to post about this. Really, really excited to see what comes of this project.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  19. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    The first two CA movies, as well as the first two Avengers movies, are the most generic, boring, predictable movies in the entire MCU for me.

- Uh oh, new bad guy
    - Well let's see what this is all about
    - Bad guy threatens the world/universe
    - Good guys must work together and face adversity
    - Oh no, is the bad guy actually going to win
    - Generic countdown of bomb/portal/something exploding
    - Heroes save the day with seconds to spare
    - Queue the violins and the rest of the strings

It might be great action for a lot of people, but this is the kind of film that I have seen dozens of times in the 90s, and therefore have a very low interest in that at this point. Plus, I could not care less for Captain America or Ironman as characters. They just don't resonate with me, never have. I find a lot more nuance in the GOTG films, the first Dr. Strange film, the first Black Panther film, and 2/3 Thor movies (hoping for a 3/4 soon).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Congrats you guys, you've turned yet another non-MCU thread into an MCU thread. :p

Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  21. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Does that mean I'm allowed to use this thread to talk again about how Multiverse of Madness is the coolest thing Marvel has done in ages?

22. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    It's like living in Tuscaloosa and trying to escape football on this forum.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You are James Van Der Beek and the MCU is our Foo Fighters anthem.

Bacon164 likes this.
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Well I liked CA far more than any of the Thor movies. To each, their own.

25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    All of the MCU is just lovely, and there are also other movies out there.

Anyone exited about Marcel?