main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I own maybe 1,500 movies on DVD. Upgrading my collection to blu-ray or 4K is out of the question, as the expense would be ridiculous. Not to mention that probably a good third of my collection has never made it onto any kind of HD format. This is also the reason why I still buy DVDs; there are literally thousands of movies that are only available at second hand DVD stores - no blu-ray release, and not on any streaming site. Definitely no 4K release.
    New movies? Sure, I'll buy those on blu-ray. But this notion that it's dumb to still buy DVDs is, in itself, dumb.

And even for newer movies; DVDs are like half the price of a 4K disc. Regular blu-rays are also more expensive. Of course people still go for the cheaper option.

Speaking as a filmmaker and not a studio exec, they're made to be seen. If a movie is unavailable on physical or digital release, pirate away. That is film preservation.

2. Deadgobahsystem

Deadgobahsystem Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2017

Thank you. Thank you!

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003

This looks like a film I want to see. I've been really impressed with how Colin Farrell has grown as an actor - he was downright frightening in The North Water, and completely unrecognisable in The Batman, he's just really leaning into the character actor thing in a way I would not have predicted at the start of his career. And teaming up with Brendan Gleeson again...

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    How many times did they get you to buy the same movie?

Like there was the rental , then VHS copy to own , then digitally remastered VHS, then a couple more , then a laserdisc, then a dvd, then a re-mastered THX dvd , then blu-rays, steel books, 4Ks ...

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I probably have at least 50 to 100 DVDs/Blu-Rays among my home collection. I've certainly got a handful of VHS tapes as well. I rarely load them up anymore; mainly because most of those films are already on the streaming channels I subscribe to. But I don't go out of my way to watch a pirated movie if the film is readily available. If I like a movie enough (and it's not on streaming), I'll still buy the old DVD off of eBay; but I'm not paying more than $20 for a 30+ year old film just because its not available and the seller thinks it's the equivalent of a Honus Wagner baseball card.

Believe it or not, YouTube does have full movies that members have posted on; some are better quality than others. I'd keep them in my "Watch Later" tab for when I feel like watching it on my TV with Roku.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    This looks interesting....

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    You can take this teaser for what it's worth. Doesn't really add to much outside of confirming what everyone already knew, that Gaga will be in it playing Harley.

solojones likes this.
  8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    What perfect casting.

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well I'm looking forward to it. I actually got my dad to see the Joker movie, and he does not watch any comic-related films at all.

10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I love the idea of the film buff who owns a Blockbuster Video’s worth of VHS and DVDs surviving the apocalypse with his collection intact and becoming the one responsible for saving our past film heritage.

Did your Dad like it?

Their were cops at the theater when I saw joker wanding everyone as they went in. It made for a tense mood. Seeing it again The Joker is actually a very darkly comedic film.

When my screening of The Joker let out The Downton Abbey movie also let out at the same time. As the two audiences mixed together you could totally tell by the look one people’s faces which movie they just watched.

11. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    This.
    I probably own 1000 DVDs. Probably more honestly. I get a lot really cheap from pawn shops. I will upgrade to Blu Ray when my DVD player breaks. I am fine with my picture quality. I am old enough to remember VHS tapes flickering and my tapes being eaten. You had a tracker that would keep the screen from flickering when it did. I don't demand theater type quality in my home viewing, but if someone else does, that's fine. I also spend far less on entertainment than I did in my 20's. My days of spending 60 dollars for a videogame are over.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I think he did like it..to a degree. It wasn't about superheroes chasing bad guys. It wasn't Batman beating the crap out of the Joker for the Umpteenth time. And no, it thankfully wasn't another Bruce Wayne origin story either (though there were of course hints at it; but they were more about background scenarios that didn't really add to the main character's story). It was a dark film for sure; certainly more dark than the R rating would give it credit for. BOP was rated R; but compared to Joker that was a My Little Pony movie.

13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I adore 4DX theaters! Here's a great feature on the geniuses who make it happen

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ugh, I hate that.

15. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Probably the only thing from Korea you don't like! ;)

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's such a stupid gimmick and has nothing to do with how the film was intended to be seen.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While I generally do hate 4DX (mainly because you can’t disable the most distracting features, only some others), some of the features actually can add some unique elements to experiencing the film when properly implemented and not used as a gimmick.

But it depends highly on the film and implementation. And, even then, isn’t something I’d suggest considering until you were seeing something for the second time.

18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    As the story points out, many directors are now working with the 4DX people to make sure the film presentation does the movie justice.

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I want Smellavision for theaters.

20. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I assume James Cameron is going to have them install a bucket of water to dump on you for Avatar 2.

Bor Mullet and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    He could've done that for Titanic.

Bor Mullet and Thena like this.
  22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Then that's fine. If the creatives behind the movie want it, then that's cool. But when it's just random companies adding it for a buck, it is stupid.

Thena likes this.
  23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yes, it seems like the creatives (and for some reason, Kevin Smith) are definitely becoming very closely involved with 4DX
    [​IMG]

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

I mean I hate Kevin Smith but whatever.

Thena likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    most apt quote about movies being seen and profit is from Louis B. Mayer in Mank:

"This is a business where the buyer gets nothing for his money but a memory. What he bought still belongs to the man who sold it. That's the real magic of the movies. And don't let anybody tell you different!"

there's another quote I read from a film distributor or theatrical representative that went something like: "the number 1 rule in the movie business? No outside food!"