main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Ford seems so uncomfortable whenever Pollack talked about what a big movie star he was. Interesting that he said his fame effects his kids the most, as they have to deal with it whenever they go out.

2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    People seem to really be enjoying the ET re-release

Juliet316 and The2ndQuest like this.
  3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    is it the cops-with-walkie-talkies version tho?

4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i'm confused by the IMAX thing, i mean i know they're doing conversions, but that's a movie that takes place in a house and on a city block. Doesn't really lend itself to IMAX

5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Think of those sweeping shots of the kids in their bikes flying across the skies

solojones likes this.
  6. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i know, but those few secons are not much to base IMAX on

7. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    That sunset looked sweet in IMAX last night

solojones likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's the most popular and most accessible premium format. So, it tends to get a lot of special rereleases since it offers something new in terms of the scale of the image. Few movies aren't enhanced by the format, even if they don't have as many money shots as a modern MCU film or something. For instance, the greatest thing about watching Raiders in IMAX a few years ago was being able to notice small details in the image I either never noticed before (two scenes involving flies) or background details that you tend to gloss over when the image is smaller (Nazi / monkey hint).

I'm not seeing it until tomorrow night, but ET is very powerful on the big screen- you have all those redwood forest scenes, the epic bikes sequences (on ground and in the air), the scenes of ET's powers, the isolation tubes, ET's ship at the end, etc. But you're also going to get the emotional impact enhanced ten fold by the details in the performances on that size of a screen, etc. Just because they set most scenes in a room doesn't mean they can't be beautiful, either.

Not to mention Williams' score coming from that sound system.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You said it, Questy. This isn't even near the top of my favorite Spielberg movies, but I really relished then chance to watch this in IMAX.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    In all of the updates to the OT, has it ever been released in IMAX theaters?

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think so- AOTC was the first to get IMAX formatting, AFAIK. We would have heard about the slight edits that would have been needed to fit ESB or ROTJ to the IMAX time limit had they been released in the format prior to, or around, then. ROTS might have had an IMAX release (if it was after the IMAX time limit had been eliminated, as there is no IMAX edit of ROTS like with AOTC). All the newer films do. TPM may have gotten an IMAX release for the 3D rerelease 10 years ago.

But, yeah, not the OT I believe. If the 3D versions of the OT had been released as originally intended, we probably would have gotten IMAX releases then. Hard to say if they would have reworked the image digitally to format it for that screen or just projected it letterboxed like some films do in IMAX.

12. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I do think charging 20 dollars to see a 1982 movie is a bit greedy. But I loved it.

Kato Sai likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, there was work done in this case, presumably, to remaster, reformat/reframe the film for IMAX screens. It's not like they just took a screener from local classic film revivals or a blu-ray and slapped it on a bigger screen.

Alternatively, if you already have AMC A-List, you're not really paying anything extra to see ET if you've already seen/will see a different movie or two this month.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    There are almost no real IMAX screens left though..most people are paying those prices for Liemax.

christophero30 and Thena like this.
  15. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    There were about 8 people at my show Sunday night. If they charged 10 dollars it probably would have done better. It shouldn't cost a family of 4 nearly 80 dollars to see ET.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I saw ROTS at the IMAX, opening week.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There weren't many true IMAXs to begin with due to the building height requirements. And while there is a massive difference between true IMAX screens and liemax screens, you are still getting a larger screen than standard cinemas, as well as all of the projection and audio benefits (ie: 3D films in IMAX 3D, being the best of the 3D formats, though that doesn't apply to E.T. obviously).

You can end up paying nearly the same price for Dolby Cinema and the screen is not only much smaller but is paired with The. Absolute. Worst. recliner designs. However, you're getting the super-extra-sharp projection quality, rumble seat audio and otherwise comfortable seats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] t

But then, full sized IMAX screens tend to charge an additional premium due to their size benefit and tendency to be located in major city centers (ie: Lincoln Center in NYC or Union Square in SF). Generally $23-28 vs $18-22. So even a liemax isn't always going to be a 1-for-1 price point comparison.

18. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Hope it's better than Jungle Cruise

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Tbh I'm not really getting the Gomez vibes with Guzman; but I'll watch the show regardless because I like Wednesday's character and maybe it'll change my opinion.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As a follow-on to the E.T. discussion- one neat moment that benefited from IMAX (and, in this specific case, liemax particular) was this specific shot:

[​IMG]

Because, at liemax scale, those kids are basically life-sized- which makes the ship also life-size. Very surreal to experience that!

(the compositing also looked better in this version than in that screenshot)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    BigAl6ft6, Juliet316 , Luke02 and 3 others like this.
  23. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Criterion’s November lineup is looking pretty stacked:

24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    That's a great point. There was nothing like IMAX in 1982 so nobody has experienced the movie the way you can now at an IMAX showing

Juliet316 and The2ndQuest like this.
  25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    there were 70mm prints of ET back in '82 I believe.