main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

Apparently, this VOD announcement was the reason AMC theaters mostly dropped the film and cancelled showtimes the other week. Not playing at any of the 4 AMCs I have access to- had to go to a local Reading Cinemas to see it this afternoon.

(Though it doesn't seem to be affecting the other films in that group)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I'm in Rhode Island, so granted, pretty tiny state. But that being said, The Fabelmans being in only ONE theater in the whole state – the new SPIELBERG MOVIE being in only one theater in the whole state – that's insane and just incredibly difficult for me to process.

Worth noting, we don't have AMC or Regal here in RI. Showcase is our biggest chain with a whole two locations (only one of which had Fabelmans), and the rest of our theaters are one offs or part of smaller chains. But until last year, getting major films like this has never been a problem over here at all; this all just feels like an even more escalated version of what happened very similarly last year with The Last Duel and Nightmare Alley.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

I don't ever buy those $20 VOD rentals though. I don't know who does. I would rather just wait until it's included in what I already pay for streaming.

Sarge likes this.
  4. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    I've never made a digital movie purchase either. I have a pretty extensive digital library, but it is entirely made up of digital codes that came with physical releases I've bought.

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I tossed all physical copies of movies and music, and re-purchased almost all my physical books, then got rid of those books (except for special books that look good on shelves). I'm absent from social media, so in some ways I'm kind of a Luddite. But I've gone full digital with media. Storing and/ or displaying so much plastic stuff just isn't an option anymore.

6. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Plastic blu rays are really ugly, and I even like to keep Criterions in a well-organized, aesthetically-pleasing closet.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm ashamed to say that still I own a handful of movies in both digital and physical forms. Once upon a time, the Blu-Rays actually included a voucher for the digital copies of the movie. Rogue One is among them.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They still do, but depends on the movie and what versions are made exclusive to particular retailers (ie: if you want 4K/BD/Digital combo, you need the Steelbook from Best Buy, otherwise 4K and BD/Digital are separate).

Worth noting that Fabelmans has been a limited release of around 600 screens, so not your typical “big film” release- and definitely smaller than either Nightmare Alley or Last Duel (both of which could be found in most chains last year).

9. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Just finished watching Tár. That final scene is the best cinematic punchline of the year.

darthcaedus1138 and bstnsx704 like this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As long as you recognize the iconography being utilized. Otherwise it’s missing some context.

11. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    I didn't know exactly what the iconography stemmed from when I caught the film, but even not knowing what work the film is literally attributing to her, the point/intent of the moment hit just the same for me.

As far as the above conversation goes, regarding physical/digital media, I've always found a disc to be much more stable and consistent in its quality than a stream. I'm not anti-streaming by any means, but if I do have the opportunity to go with a disc vs a stream for something I'm in the mood to watch, I'm going to select the disc option every single time, and I've never slowed down on my physical media purchased in regards to movies.

Streaming selection for films older than the 80s is also hit or miss a lot of the time , often skewing more towards the miss side of things, unfortunately.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  12. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
  13. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Hate it.

15. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
  16. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

You know what this means??????

Time to lock the ‘what do you think of TLJ 4 years later thread’ and open the ‘what do you think of TLJ 5 years later thread’.

17. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    You can count on me to make the the inaugural "The Last Jedi is still the best movie to come out of Disney's tenure with Lucasfilm" post in the new thread.

That might change next year once Dial of Destiny is out, though. Who knows what the future holds!?!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm definitely going to shell out for premium VOD for Fablemans and Banshies (although the last one is Searchlight so I might get lucky and it'll land on Disney Plus that day too). I don't feel the urge to watch them in theatres right now (well Bones and All is playing here too) but want to check them out before 2023. Heck the fact I knew Fablemans was going to be on VOD by mid December was a reason I skipped it theatrical. Also the ads where the mom says something like "Movies are dreams" or whatever kinda irked me so I waited. And I'm not a huge semi autobiographical fan in general.

I did however just get out of Violent Night in theaters which as Univeral release I'm guessing it will be on Premium VOD before Christmas, probably by the 20th I'd bet.

19. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    At my theater we are just about selling out every show of Glass Onion but Fableman is not doing well. Im genuinely shocked by that. Only the morning and afternoon crowd are going while GO is everyone from high school to senior citizens.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The subject matter of Fablemans (movie about how great movies are) is a really tough sell to get people in theaters, especially when unless its a Blockbuster movie pretty much everything else is 14 to 30 days to home viewing, one thing that pandemic theaters shutdowns had an effect on viewing habits. When movies can be delivered to your home why go when it'll be so fast, unless it makes 100s of millions then you have to wait. Also I believe I read that the advertising spend for a theatrical release can roll over into the VOD release if its like 2 weeks later anyway (just add Watch it at Home tag onto the same ad from 2 weeks ago)

Oddly the studio that seems to wait the longest is Sony, maybe that's why Legendary went there.

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I also feel like something with fablemans is missing. It doesn’t have hook for me. Or the hook is see the life of kid Spielberg and that’s not catching me.

Glass Onion is also part of a franchise now. People want to see what they already saw again at movie theaters. Not so much new stuff right now.

Sarge, BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Foo like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's more of a choice of the advertising. The movie isn't really about that. But it is a more uplifting notion that might draw families more than what the film is really about, so they probably thought that was the angle for a more general release appeal.

Bacon164 likes this.
  23. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Seeing this in a few minutes. A Christian Christmas true story based on the life on Longfellow.

24. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    god you people skipping the Fablemans are going to regret it

darthcaedus1138 and bstnsx704 like this.
  25. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    The Fabelmans was great.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.