main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    can't wait to watch it on the back of an airplane seat

Bor Mullet likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    This is the only setting in which I watch Marvel movies.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Let us know how it is please.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    For the most part (couple exceptions from his earlier years, and a few later, such as Jaws, ET and Schindler’s List), Spielberg just isn’t for me. His films are ultimately too schmaltzy and melodramatic, and the artifice shows too strongly.

In Fabelman’s, Michelle Williams, a master of subtlety as an actor, comes across almost like an opera singer in some scenes, given how much she’s asked to overact.

I don’t know. There’s just too much cosmetics caked on. I have difficulty believing many of his films. And this one feels too self-congratulatory. Like he’s saying he carried the baton of best American filmmaker after John Ford.

If you have to say it, are you?

5. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I feel like he definitely is (even if I carry at least half as much skepticism of him as you) and there’s nothing wrong with being earnest about it at this point in his career.

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t think it’s wrong to be earnest about his own impact (despite not agreeing he’s the best since Ford), but that kind of thing doesn’t land well for me because it feels too much like a public argument made for posterity rather than a bearing of one’s creative soul.

I also thought he told the story he tells here much better in ET. Almost half a century ago.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm definitely watching Fablemans! Just at home in 2 weeks, apparently

8. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Just saw it. It was good. Deals a lot with grief and is predominately historically accurate as possible. The company behind it Sight and Sound are known for making huge theatrical plays, so this was their first film. And I say its pretty good. I identify with it as an aspiring writer.

Makes me want to look up Longfellow's stuff now.

9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I was at a Sight and Sound Theater outside of Philadelphia. I didn’t seen a show but was at the venue.

Their productions look bonkers. John a liked like it had the production values of a Pirates of the Caribbean movie on stage with huge ships, hosts of actors, pirate towns, even a huge whale that ‘swam’ over the heads of the audience. Crazy stuff.

That makes more curios about seeing the movie than the Longfellow connection - which was interesting on it own.

thanks for the info!!!

AutumnLight91 likes this.
  10. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    I had a friend who actually went to one of the shows. Yup, the sets and stuff is HUGE in venue and everything. This is their debut film, but they tried to keep it as historically accurate as possible within the confines of story, location, and direction of budget. But I'd say it was a pretty good thing. Yeah could they have gone big with actually showing a civil war battle, sure, but budget wise thats expensive in this, and I understand why they didn't from that view. But hey, first time movie making starts somewhere, and you can only go up from there so yeah.

11. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Here I'll use to post my review. Least the double post became useful

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm a huge Spielberg fan, but I don't think that will be a widespread reaction. It's a fine film, for sure. But there is some unevenness in the 3rd act where the POV, focus and tone shift away from what the rest of the film is dealing out. And, having known his biography since doing a book report on him in 4th grade, I was hoping the pre-Jaws Hollywood movie making angle would play a larger role in the film's conclusion instead of where it ended (especially since I'm unfamiliar with Ford based on the information the film provides, so the ending was more vague as a result [even moreso as I was led to believe it would be a different reveal on a narrative level]). There's also 2 or 3 moments where the film gets meta, but not meta enough. And it probably should have either leaned into that more or not at all.

Still, it makes for a nice little bit of punctuation or footnote on Spielberg's career. And it's fantastic seeing a visualization of his influences in combination with his more recent work (ie: there are shades of West Side story with the high school dance).

13. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  14. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    For those of us without NY Times subscriptions, I'm curious. What else is on their list?

Rylo Ken likes this.
  16. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Manohla Dargis list:

EO
    Petite Maman
    Nope
    No Bears
    Kimi
    The Eternal Daughter
    Happening
    Decision to Leave
    Expedition Content
    All the Beauty and the Bloodshed

A O Scott list:

Nope
    Neptune Frost
    Mr. Bachmann and His Class
    Aftersun
    No Bears
    Tár'
    Lost Illusions
    Flux Gourmet
    Down With the King

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I have also not seen any of the films on that list. And I said "films" instead of "movies" to compensate for failing at cinephelia.

Sarge and Rylo Ken like this.
  18. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Of those lists, I've seen Petite Maman, Nope, Kimi, and Tár. I liked Kimi, but don't think I'd include it on a favorites of the year list. I loved the other three.

Planning on seeing Decision to Leave and The Eternal Daughter as soon as I can.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    Rylo Ken likes this.
  19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    there's not a lot of overlap on the two lists, just:

Nope
    No Bears

That last one has a good title! Also it's a documentary about a photographer's opioid addiction , the opioid epidemic and the Sackler family so sounds like a great movie. I guess it won't be available on streaming until next January?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don’t think I’ve even heard of those films, outside of Nope, Tar and Eternal Daughter. Maybe Decision to Leave? But I’d have to look that one up to verify.

If they end up being awards contenders perhaps they’ll get wider releases.

21. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I haven't seen any on those lists. The only film I've seen this year is The Banshees of Inisherin, which was phenomenal. Of those films listed the only ones I'm really interested in seeing at some point are Tar and The Eternal Daughter.

22. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I saw Violent Night this weekend. Excellent Christmas parody of Die Hard, with all the delicious, over-the-top nonsense that "cinema" should do more of.:p

The2ndQuest and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Aye, I really loved Inisherin as well. I think that one's going to HBO Max soon, so hopefully more eyes are on it in the near future.

Tár's phenomenal. I have no idea when The Eternal Daughter is releasing in my neck of the woods (if it even will), but Decision to Leave is thankfully supposed to be making its way to my local arthouse theater at some point (it's been sitting on the theater's "Coming Soon" page for about a month now).

Count Yubnub likes this.
  24. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I've heard of most of those on the list, probably thanks to following a ton of film journalists on social media.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000