main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
  2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I always forget that the SAG has a Stunt Ensemble category. The Oscars really needs a Stunt category. Well, all the awards shows do really. It's such a big part of what makes some movies really great. I mean, it can absolutely elevate a mediocre action movie to genius level action movie. And, I mean, not to diss on sound editors, but, honestly, the Oscars have an award for Sound Editing, but not for Stunts? Come on.

Not many surprises there; basically echoes the Globes. Glad to see The Big Sick get an Ensemble nomination; I was really disappointed that it didn't even get anything in the comedy categories at the Globes. And I think Harrelson deserves a supporting nomination for Billboards, but it might split the vote between him and Rockwell in that category; but they both deserve nominations, so you know, I can't compain. But Billboards should, in my opinion, win Ensemble easily. It's got amazing performers right down to the ground. Like there's a girlfriend to one of the characters who is in the movie less than five minutes, but she's super memorable and really funny; I mean, it's cast perfectly all the way down to the ground.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

I thought stunts were apart of the technical awards show that's not televised?

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Annhilation trailer 2:

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Annihilation is something that I would see. I'm unfamiliar with the source material, but I see shades of Ripley/Alien and Stranger Things in the trailer.

6. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Continue to get a Tarkovsky vibe from this.

soitscometothis likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I need to read the book.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So, last week the Alita: Battle Angel trailer dropped and received alot of poor reactions. I heard there was a social media post saying something to the effect "the movie will be the first film shot with a SnapChat filter" due to the bizarre look of the titled character.

Here's the trailer for anyone that has not seen it:

Here's the response from the film's Producer and Director:

HOW JAMES CAMERON AND ROBERT RODRIGUEZ DECIDED ON ALITA’S GIANT EYES

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Hmm, well, we'll see. I was hoping this one would be good. Mainly because Alita is Rosa Salazar, an actress I really like a lot that I really want to see get a big break.

10. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Won’t see TLJ till Sat night. Trying my best to stay away from anything spoiler. Didn’t help that the SW Twitter is advertising using the tv spot that has some big moments. Thankfully I got rid of it, though not before seeing one big thing.

11. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    So take aways from Disney buying Fox. X-Men, Deadpool, F4, all return to Marvel. With the Sony deal for Spider-Man I’m assuming all characters are back home. Don’t see this having any effect on the present Marvel movie universe until after the Infinity War movies.

I’d assume this is also a good thing for those who miss the fanfare before the SW movies, and also a good thing for those craving the unaltered originals. Disney now owns it all.

Bad for the film industry, but not life threatening. Also a good thing that it was Disney and not Comcast that bought Fox. Fox would pretty much cease to exist altogether if that had been the case given CC already owns Universal.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think Marvel has all the Spidey characters back- I think the deal with Sony was sort of a specific trade-off partnership (Spidey for a Stark appearance, etc) which is why we're getting these Spiderverse films like Venom that aren't in the MCU.

However, one would assume that, with the Spidey deal as a framework, all those characters are at least "plausibly home accessible" if Marvel really wanted to use someone in the MCU.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm so looking forward to the follow up to Sicario and the trailer for the sequel looks very promising.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    That Ocean's 8 looks good.

17. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Looks promising. First movie was excellent.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    New poster for Isle of Dogs. I thought the film was being released this year. I'll just have to wait until March to see it.

[​IMG]

DarthMane2 likes this.
  19. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Reviews for Netflix's Alien Nation rip-off Bright are largely calling it a disaster, which isn't surprising since it was written by Max Landis.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, at least I don't have to buy a ticket or leave my house to see Bright.

21. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    This was posted to the YouTube thread today:

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    In the JCC ZOMG... Star Wars thread I mentioned how Rey's story is like a "sword in the stone" type of story, which has me wanting to rewatch Excalibur even more.

[​IMG]

Excalibur is one of my all time favorite films. I must have seen it like 50 times as a kid, which made me never feel the need to see Disney's The Sword in the Stone. This film is packed with so many great elements and not to mention the great actors, like Patrick Stewart, Liam Neeson and Hellen Mirren (who were not house hold names at the time). It's just a splendid tale and my childhood Game of Thrones.

23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It's one of the very few decent attempts to put the Arthurian legend on the big screen.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  24. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    To fair the script has nothing to do with it.

Landis wrote the screenplay for Victor Frankenstein. The movie itself bares little resemblance to that script.

25. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    CGI explosion. Cool idea that turns me off already.