main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It has the potential to be very, very good, but probably won't be.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, Isle of Dogs is the new Wes Anderson! I heard a snippet of the trailer at the theater the other day and I was like, "Well, that sounds stupid." Now that I know it's Wes Anderson, I'm definitely going to see it.

3. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    So, Steven Seagal co-wrote a novel and it's...well...

[​IMG]

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, that's another reason that explains why he moved to Russia.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Remember when we all made fun of the Glenn Beck "political thriller?" I yearn for the days when that was the dumbest thing around.

6. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  7. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    At least the title is a break from his pattern of killing presidents.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I believe he eventually tired of Presidents and did away with Jesus. Merry Christmas, Bill!

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's like every line of text makes it worse.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I decided to look up Amazon reviews...

-----Okay. bought this book because of the reviews and the premise of the story. I'm not finished with it yet, but I can say this much. The writing is atrocious. While I intend to finish it because I'm curious about the message that's supposedly in it, so far all I'm getting from this book (I'm 75% through, BTW) is that Gode is this superdude of a Native American who has teamed up with some other superdude Native Americans because no one else can be trusted. The primary female in this (Gode's girlfriend) is supposed to be some super-talented chick who's also a superdudette, but to me, the only reason she's in the book is to have sex with Gode when she isn't being kept in the dark or used as his sounding board for stuff that he feels free to say to her.

Here's a small example of the writing quality. "The three assigned to Noche were: Deanne Higgins, a woman agent with the DEA who could hold her own as a member of this or any other task force; Anthony Quadrino, a leather-skinned veteran cop wise beyond his years who was built like a linebacker with a round face and stood about five-foot-ten; and Maurice “Scotty” Random, a black man pushing thirty who had the body of a man who looked like he lived in the gym. The latter two were both tough Tempe, Arizona, cops."

Seriously, did the authors even take a single creative writing class? This has no reason to even be in the book; a simple list of names, perhaps, with descriptions added as they spoke or something, but crap like this is scattered throughout the whole thing. Normally I don't bother to review bad books but this one just gets my goat. I like Steven Seagal's movies but my 8-year old grandson could write better than this.-----

-----He’s as talented a writer as he is an actor.-----

-----It makes “Pooh foraging for honey” read like Tolstoy (who is a Russian that you should be reading ). Horrific.-----

-----Finally, a gift for family members who consistently vote against the interests of themselves and the American public. Uncle Tom is gonna have a hard time watching Fox News AND reading all the big words in this book simultaneously. Should keep him quiet while the rest of us make avocado toast and play the stock market. Thankfully, a Russian citizen of dubious Native American ancestry has enough chutzpah to sport a leather-fringed jacket AND allow a human-rights violator a foreword. That’s right, Sherriff Joe: for Christmas this year, there’s nothing better than a written intro from a fraudulent Catholic subjugating prisoners and the disenfranchised to unlawful abuses. MERRY CHRISTMAS! MAGA!-----

Ok, here's a positive one:

-----I found this book to be very informative, scary and unsettling. The critics sound like they are members of the Deep State themselves and are trying to discredit the authors of this book. Looks like it struck a sensative nerve with the great Satin and his minions. He doesn’t usually go after small fish. Could they be the same ones who constantly discredit God’s Holy Scriptures? Be sure the truth will prevail.-----

bluealien1 and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That is utterly painful to read. I'm so glad they specified that someone who could hold "her own" was "a woman agent". Phew. Might have gotten confused otherwise. Also, it literally has a random black man. A black man with the body of a man.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    A lil edit.

Darth Punk likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Does the black man with the body of a man, have the proportionate strength of a man?

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He had the body of a man, and the head of....a man.

Darth Punk and The2ndQuest like this.
  16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Still not convinced, but I understand he did stepped away from using music and cinematography in the remake - so I am not sure what he can bring to the film since those two elements were so pivotal to making Suspiria work

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    tom and Violent Violet Menace like this.
  18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, yes, that classic body type: "a linebacker with a round face."

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  19. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I LOVE IT!

20. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    It’s time for a “Mom and Dad Save the World” remake.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Like the year before, the Writers Guild of America nominates another superhero flick as Logan gets a nomination for best adapted screenplay. Last year, Deadpool received the same nomination from the WGA.

22. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I’ve been waiting for this film for a very long time. I hope it’s good! The trailer looks interesting.

bluealien1 likes this.
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The trailer remind of "Final Destination," where death comes for you.

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I got excited at hearing Ridley Scott was going to be filming an adaptation of the Merlin saga, because I mistakenly thought of the classic Mary Stewart Crystal Cave books; I was wrong, it's based on a set of books by author T.A. Barron which I have never read. :(

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, I hope Ridley Scott's "Merlin" is made in the same vain as "Gladiator" as oppose to his Robin Hood film.

bluealien1 likes this.