main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I watched more of it than Jennifer Lawrence. I’m proud.

Master_Lok likes this.
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I posted in the 2018 Oscars thread, that I don't ever plan on seeing The Phantom Thread. It's just something that doesn't interest me.

3. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Tarantino’s 9th film will be titled “Once Upon A Time in Hollywood”

Brad Pitt possibly also staring

4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Ridiculous feud.

Those two aren't even in the same universe as each other.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  5. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
  6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_rofl] These two gentlemen get it.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Mute was definitely a step down from the one-two punch of Source Code and Moon but it sure was a step up from Warcraft. This is an oddball movie and it does sort of nicely flip around who exactly is the bad guy until it goes full bore at the end. My gripe is mostly that, like a lot of detective noir's, sometimes it gets pretty convoluted in the middle who exactly relates to what. I don't buy people saying "Blah, it wants to be Blade Runner, booo!" cuz I do think Blade Runner isn't exactly the only film that has a corner on future noir detective story.

the few fleeting references to what happened to Sam from Moon are pretty genius, actually.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  8. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Have watched too many movies these days, gonna take a break after the 2 remaining ones.

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Highlander reboot gets new script by Colony writer, looks like it's moving ahead

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to this or not. I love the original, I've got it on Blu-ray and DVD, and I'm wary of reboots, but... I'm always up for some movie sword-play, and the Highlander name cannot be blackened more than the existing sequels have already done. Or that's what I tell myself.

But then again, how will they get a cast and soundtrack that compares to the original?

10. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Team GET OUT for the Win Sunday.

It’s either that or Billboard and I think B.B. has lost some steam.

11. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I think there's a good chance it's not going to be TBBOEM given that there's been only four instances where the Academy gave best picture to a film that wasn't also nominated for best director.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  12. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
  13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    4 of the most beautiful actresses in the 50s, 3 of them have won Oscar. Too bad Monroe passed too early otherwise she might win hers as well

[​IMG]

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm probably not watching the Oscars this year. Mainly because I don't think anything will ever top last year's Oscars, but I was also very invested in Moonlight winning. I don't think Get Out has much of a chance.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Lalaland should have won.

16. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Audrey

[​IMG]

17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    My favorite is Grace. Of course all of them are great legends.

18. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Anyone seen that trailer for Jennifer Lawrence's like badass agent film

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I saw Red Sparrow and she is not badass. This is not Atomic Blonde.

So, Black Panther has a critic Rotten Tomato score of 97% and an Audience score of 79%. Death Wish has a critic rating of 15% and an audience score of 85%. I almost put this in the gun control thread.

Edit:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  20. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Shape of Water wasn’t my favorite of the noms, but I’m happy for GDT.

Glad to see 2049 can be called an Oscar winner. Very Happy for Roger Deakins. I’d like to hang out with that dude.

Other than that a bland show

21. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Also, who did the memorial vid?

Todd Hoper, Robert Guillaume, And Adam West all got left off.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I saw the Mary Poppins Returns teaser trailer. Are people actually interested in seeing this?

I watched the original movie from 1964 the other day, and Mary is a really a *****. I remember loving the movie as a kid because all the fun stuff the kids got to do, and the music was catchy, but she comes out of nowhere to "help" the parents by watching the kids. Of course, as an adult, you realize she's really there to help the kids and parents reconnect so she isn't needed. So in a way, I guess she has to be a ***** so her parents looks better by comparison, but as soon as their dad says the word "kite", they stop crying, forget Mary, and the movie ends. I digress.

E.T. was on TV recently and I caught myself watching it. I didn't understand why E.T. got sick and then was miraculously better. My take - his species are all connected. He was left behind and needed to connect to someone which was Elliot. Elliot's human body couldn't handle the connection and he began to get sick and they both were dying. To save Elliot, E.T. disconnected himself from him. Thankfully, the phone home message was received by those that left E.T. behind and they were on their way back. I guess that was enough to revive E.T. himself.

I'd love to hear what others thought. As I kid, I remember this movie freaked me out, but it captured the fun of being a kid as well as the hope that there are others in the galaxy (and that they're friendly).

I read that Adam West was left off probably because the Academy Awards highlight achievements in film making and Adam West is more closely related to television.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    From IGN:

Rogue1-and-a-half and gezvader28 like this.
  24. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Whoever did the In Memoriam segment needs to be fired for those omissions, especially for omitting somebody like Powers Boothe.

Luke02 likes this.
  25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Which character should be Grace Kelly's iconic role? George in Country Girl or Lisa in Rear Window?