main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD At The Movies - Reviews & Critical Musings

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by casual-jedi, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I quite agree with that. As I said, I found the writing minute-to-minute to be good and enjoyable. The problems weren't in the dialogue or characterisation, they were in the construction of the story. Editing wouldn't fix it, unless it was splitting it into literally 2 separate films. The whole thing was completely out of whack as an overarching story.

2. EnempE

EnempE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2005
    I ain't no expert or nothin, and when I watched the film it snapped halfway through and had to be re loaded but ....

I see it like this, Toby Maguire (is that his name?) is a really bad choice for spiderman, just comes off half assed. You put better actors around him and he just looks worse.

It is a comic book, Spiderman even stopping and questioning the quantity of supervillans at one point (while emptying the sand out of his shoes)

Stan Lee is a crap actor, he shouldn't have speaking parts, the american flag scene almost made me vomit. Would have loved to see venom eat someone.

Costumes and effects were really neat.

Over all it rates entertaining (which is a feat considering the length) but not thought provocing, or giving that memorable chill that you get when watching Vader go nuts, neo realise he can do kung fu, or Tyler Derdent shoot himself in the cheek.

My version had subtitles.

3. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Even tho it came out years ago, just saw Mulholland Drive for the first time.....very bizarre and twisted as you'd expect from David Lynch. My brain would end up worse for wear if I tried understanding this film.

4. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Yeah Marv, don't try - I tried and look at how I came out... :p

I had learnt my lessen by the time I went to see The Fountain. ;)

5. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    I beleive that the first 2/3 of the film are a conjured fantasy by the real Diane Selwin (Betty), and that the fantasy takes place in her mind at the very end of the film, after her girlfriend leaves her....I didn't understand what was with the creept guy behind the diner

Saw 28 Weeks later. Very scary. Had nightmares about this one >< see it in the morning! I remember one of you guys said last week "What will be next, 28 years later?" I would have to say yes probably :p

6. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    As far as I'm aware, Danny Boyle may be returning to direct 28 Months Later. If not, he'll probably produce it like 28 Weeks Later.

Those of you who liked the first one are in for a real treat. The bigger budget is very well spent, with some amazing (and grizzly) set pieces. Fortunately the script and acting are top-notch as well. Well worth your time and money.

7. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Kahli's Saturday Night Specials Episode 1 - May 12

This week's picks:
    Supergirl
    Shark Attack III: Megalodon
    Streetfighter

Now, before you ask, yes - I did spend all my time in the 'S' movies in the Action Section at blockbuster last tuesday. But they were fresh out of spiderman II, and I was kinda not into roaming the isles looking for good movies.

Supergirl

What. The. Smeg. First of all, just what were faye dunaway, mia farrow, peter o'toole and peter cook THINKING? A poor effort all round, with a notable mention for 'ethan', the love-potion struck "heartthrob" who falls for 'linda' and then later realises she is supergirl. The best part of the movie was the end (not for the obvious reasons) because when supergirl says goodbye to him, he tells her 'don't worry, I'll explain to everyone' about where she disappeared to. I'm sorry, but when a private school girl goes missing and the groundsman comes up with some 'convenient' excuse as to where she went, the first thing across anyone's mind should be 'paedo' and 'shallow grave'. Maybe I'm jsut too cynical. Even Peter Cook couldn't save this one, not a moment of delicious wit to be had. As for helen slater - I've met soap with more personality.

Shark Attack III: Megalodon

Now, sadly, I kinda enjoyed this one. Not in the 'could watch it again' sense, but because it didn't take itself too seriously and was full of homages to greater shark films (and by greater I mean greater than shark attack III, which includes jaws 4). Hunky american ben (or something) works patrolling the beaches to assure the safety of the guests at an exclusive mexican resort. Diving for lobster on company time, he comes across a shark tooth embedded in a spanky new fibre optics cable bringing telecommunications to the world (oddly, I was pretty sure we could all already call each other but what would I know). Anyway, he just can't identify this tooth, so he posts it on a website where foxy blone paleantologist cat (i think) spots it and shoots off down to mexico.

Normal shark fare ensues, people get et, and finally cat shoots the shark with a shotgun, in the mouth (you really have to see it to believe it) and you think - is that it? Well, no, cos we're only an hour in. That was a baby meg! What follows is cinema gold. I have never seen a shark movie quite like it. marrying stock shark footage with badly executed green screen work, this shark eats EVERYTHING. [simpsons_reference] IT ATE EVERYTHING[/simpsons_reference].

If you like shark movies check it out. Worth a look, especially if you're having a drink.

Streetfighter

Despite my enjoyment of SAIII, streetfighter was really the pick of the evening. You can't beat a van damme movie for one-liners and preposterous storylines, but it was Raul Julia who made the movie. And sad that it was his last one, although he did look so very thin in it. Not as bad as I thought it would be, and without a catfight involving kylie minogue, this movie at least kept me from falling asleep (as I did in supergirl, and had to skip back a few chapters). The best part was the end, when they're all sitting around congratulating themselves, and then all of a sudden they strike a pose and the STREETFIGHTER logo slams onto the screen. What the? I had to rewind it to make sure I'd seen correctly. Yes, they did all just strike a pose for no reason what. so. ever. Well, I suppose it was the end of the movie, and to its credit it did make me laugh.

8. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Hunky american ben (or something) works patrolling the beaches to assure the safety of the guests at an exclusive mexican resort.

What Kahli isn't telling you that Hunky American Ben is actually perennial QFF favourite John Barrowman, AKA Captain Jack Harkness. Obviously the man had to pay the bills somehow before he got his break.

Despite my enjoyment of SAIII, streetfighter was really the pick of the evening.

Dear God, are you kidding?? I'm sure this film gave me brain damage when I was stupid enough to hire it out years ago... :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

9. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    What's wrong with you Magnus? Can't you just enjoy it for what it is? :p

10. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Watched Xmen 3 again on Saturday night. First time since I saw it at the movies, well apart from stealing grabs for my costume, and yes I still enjoyed it. Seems I was more willing to forgive silliness in this than in Spidey3.

Serenity. Watched this AGAIN last week and still love it to pieces.

Have a strong desire to go buy Robin Hood-yes the Kevin Costner version- as it's been so long since I saw it. I've been watching the Disney version with the fox and the bear etc and I do love this story in whatever form it comes.

11. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    Don't worry Kahlan, there's no shame in enjoying Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves... you just have to say you like it for Alan Rickman. ;) I'm not even sure Kevin Costner is in the movie - I think he played one of the trees in Sherwood Forest.

Anyway, I've been wanting to write soemthing about Spiderman 3 the past few days but I wasn't sure what to say;

Anyone who's known me for a while knows I'm a huge Spidey fan! Spiderman was the first comic book that I read on a regular basis and it just so happens I was first introduced to his character in comic form (I used to watch the TV series) in the 8th issue of Secret Wars (yes, the issue when Spidey gets his black Symbiote suit). I must have been all of 8-9 years old... very impressionable.

I really enjoyed to first 2 movies. Spiderman with it's tight origin story that was only let down by an ill-conceived Green Goblin and Spiderman 2 with it's character development and sympathetic villain - Doc Ock.

And then, Spiderman 3 comes along...

I could say it's not Sam Raimi's fault; He's admitted that he never liked the Symbiote storyline and Venom even less and he tried previously to steer clear of having to involve either in any of the movies so far. But the man's a professional film maker! Even if the studio forced him to add these characters and plotline into the third movie he could have still tried to make them his own and do something intelligent with them.

Topher Grace was quite good as Eddie Brock and his character even made me feel he would have been a much better choice to play Peter Parker instead of the 'quirky' looking Tobey McGuire. Topher Grace showed he has range and more than one facial expression unlike McGuire who must have gone to the Nic Cage school of acting.

There are other moments of brilliance in Spiderman 3. The birth of the Sandman is touching and well-realised and Thomas Hayden-Church was a perfect choice for this character. James Franco also did an excellent job with his work as Harry Osborne but I don't think there was any need to make him look like an Extreme-Sports star instead of the HobGoblin or another iteration of the Green Goblin.

I also felt that most of the action throughout the movie, though exciting seemed very tacked on and out of place. It never actually served to propel the story forward and seemed it was only there because that's what's expected of a big budget comic book movie. Many times I felt it was distracting and took me away from what could have been interaction with the more interesting characters of the film (Flint Marko/Sandman, Eddie Brock and Harry).

In the end, Spiderman 3 isn't a disaster of a comic book movie (Thomas Jane Punisher - I'm looking at you!) but I found myself enjoying X-Men 3 much more (it seems fair to compare the two).

12. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Even the bit at the end where Kylie is crying cos van DAMME! made it out alive and when he looks at her she says 'tear gas, sir, on the way out..' and then giggles?

Streetfighter was not a terrific movie. But it was still the best of the three. That should give you some indication as to the quality of the other movies.

I propose that, from now on, our rating system is simplified to 'better than streetfight' or 'worse than streetfighter'.

So say we all?

13. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    I think Tobey is great as Spiderman. In 1 & 2 he nailed it. In 3 he came across in a very different fashion as 'directed' I guess. The dance sequences were totally out of place and uncalled for. The ending with Marco was a bit weird and had no closure at all. Please no more Spidey. Finish the series with grace. It is amazing how the most expensive film ever produced at times can look and act so cheap

14. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I wish it would end, too. But Sony have their hearts set on doing at LEAST 3 more, or so they say. I don't know how, since Rami, Dunst and Maguire all seem to have no intent to return, but the smell of money overwhelms common sense in these cases. Unfortunately, Spiderman 3 smashed box office records and raked in obscene amounts of cash. And the math on that is that there will be more, as misguided a thing as that would be.

15. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    I wouldn't say 'end Spidey', but I could definately see him in a movie with other Heroes.

16. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Priceless(Hors de Prix)
    Romantic Comedy.
    Starring - Audrey Tautou, Gad Elmaleh.

"Good Gad, Audrey's Brilliant!"
    Heheh, see what I did there? Well it turns out to be more than just an incredibly witty pun.. it also aptly describes the highlights of this little feel-good French gem. Audrey Tautou from Amelie and Da Vinci Code fame, carries the film as a career seductress, trying to land her perfect sugar daddy. Gad Elmaleh, is convincing as the bumbling Jean, a bartender who falls in love with Tautou's female gigolo. Hilarity and amusement ensues after a chance miss-understanding, leads to a one-night dalliance. I'd say the film definately gives off a Pretty Woman, meets Dirty Rotten Scoundrels vibe... classic French cinema. It's charm would probably be lost in translation with the inevitable Hollywood remake.

7.5/10.

17. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Kahli's Sat'dee Nite Specials:

Spiderman II
    Ricky Gervais Live: Politics
    The Best and the Second Best of the D-Generation.

D-Generation (I watched this one first):

Surprisingly, I found this one quite funny. Saddly, possibly, because I remembered quite a bit of it from the first time around - how old does that make me? - but also comfortingly in that it must've been champagne comedy the first time around. OK, so not all of it was funny, but by the same token I was not drunk - and thus wihtout impaired judgement. Check it out if you're after nothing more than toilet humour and a bit of a giggle. And if you want to see how young Kath and Sharon and the working dog team were when they started. See if you can spot mick molloy! (before he changed his accent, cut his hair and gained 40 pounds)

Ricky Gervais - Politics:

This was great. I did very much like this dvd of his 'critically acclaimed' live show. Not much to add, just an hour of him talking, but very funny.

Spiderman II:

Yes, cos there are people here who have not seen this. I like it. The bit with the El (sp?) train is the best (those NYers are such team players :) :_| go team spidey! Plus, the 'raindrops are falling on my head' sequence does put saturday night spidey into perspective.

18. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    POTC - At Worlds End

Hmm..
    Hmmmmm....
    Hmmmmmmmm....

Were my thoughts walking out of this movie tonight. I still don't know what to make of it.

It's like a rollarcoaster ride but not in the good sence. One minute you have moments of greatness then the next really, really silly moments.

The end fight was good but suffered from above.

I can see a number 4 if this one does well, but with out Will and Liz(thank god
    )

The new Trasformer trailer played before hand. OMG I can't wait:eek:

STAY AFTER THE CREDITS[face_mischief]

19. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    I liked it. But I have questions.

1. Who the FRAK is Cutler Beckett and why does he:
    A. want to destroy the pirates so passionately (it goes beyond business sense sorry); and
    B. Know so much about pirate lore?

2. How did Barbossa, who was Jack's first mate initially, also become a pirate lord when his Captain was one?

3. Did Jack know Tia Dalma was who Barbossa knew she was?

4. So how'd Captain Teague become immortal?

Sure, there may be handwaves for these, but you've got to actually do the handwave! Exposit you blasted hack scriptwriters!!

Also, why did it look like Terry Gilliam directed certain scenes??

Anyway, enjoy. We'll talk about it when you've all seen it.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

20. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Pirates 3 was great.=D=
    Added so much depth to the whole saga..
    And I LOLed many times, at many different, but equally random things.[face_laugh]
    Not the straight out swash-bucklers the first two were..
    which is not to say that there weren't plenty of swashes buckled..:D
    It's just there's so much more to this one.
    The best of the three in my books.

Got nigh on close to 3 hours in the cinema, and I did not once look at my time-piece.

10/10

21. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    POTCIII: not so fussed. I mean definately more fussed than Spidey 2 (too much jack is never enough - you'll see what I mean :p) but still..

Too much yakin', not enough hackin'.

22. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Just thought I'd add to Casual's thoughts on Priceless / Hors de prix with what I've already said to a few of you in person:

Priceless could have been an American romantic comedy starring Jennifer Aniston and Insert Comic Male Lead Here. Even with the story and dialogue intact, it would have been so easy to dismiss on seeing the trailer. This movie proves that even a lightweight romantic comedy can be much classier in French.

It's strange seeing Audrey "Amelie" Tatou playing a spoilt bitch, but it doesn't stop her being thoroughly charming (that is, assuming you liked Amelie - if not, this will hardly win you over). Gad Elmalesh is also very likeable as the naive male lead. He's got the perfect "dazed" look for this sort of role. They perform well together, and their entertaining dialogue is more than enough to carry the movie.

It's good fun. No more, no less. Well worth a couple of hours of your time.

23. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    MS' review of PotC 3 -

Meh.

There was too much BLAH BLAH going on. I literally teetered on falling asleep because of all of the talking. The storyline was way more complex than it needed to be, for alot of the movie I had NO idea what was happening. The action was cool, The Effects were cool, but the rest left something to be desired.

I loved Jack's introduction scene though (and that scene was directed by David Lynch)

The End.

24. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    ^ Really??? Wow. I thought everyone would love it. Why the meh, if I may be so bold?:confused:

25. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001

QFT MS

I thought the 'Marry us barbossa' thing was really cheesey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.