main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atheists Unite!

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by data68, Mar 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. data68

data68 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2003
    Are there any other atheists in here? Speak!

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    define "Atheist"

3. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    This thread is biased against Agnostics.

RAAAR!

4. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    *points to the sig*

5. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I'm an Atheist but why do we need to unite?

6. crystal417

crystal417 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Good question.

~ Crystal ~

7. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Isn't it better if we keep apart?

That we can show up individually all over the place and scare people into thinking they are surrounded by atheists.

8. foxy_kenobi

foxy_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    Being surrounded by atheists isn't scary, that's what makes us better ^;^

9. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    lol @ fk

10. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    *points to the sig*
    Umm... thread is for atheists, not people trying to promote their religion or whatever...

Anyways, I'm an atheist with a slightly agnostic side...

11. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    "Being surrounded by atheists isn't scary, that's what makes us better"

So you think because you have some religious affiliation or belief you're better than those who do not?

12. foxy_kenobi

foxy_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    No, I'm saying atheists aren't scary so they are better. ^;^ Because they don't freak other people out with their freaky beliefs. o_O

13. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Never mind then. :p

14. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    I don't know about that.

I tend to freak people out with my lack of beliefs.

Maybe I just hang around the wrong people.

Or maybe I secretly like freaking them out!

15. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    For the most part I don't go around telling people that I'm an Atheist. I just find it easier to keep it to myself unless someone else brings up Religion.

I do find it funny when a religious person asks me if I'm afraid of going to Hell because I don't believe in God. I simply smile and remind them if I don't believe in Heaven then I don't believe in Hell.

16. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Heh. Same here.

Would be awful hypocritical otherwise wouldn't it?

And on a more serious note, I don't talk about it either. My attitude is that my choice of religion (or lack thereof) is a personal choice that I've made and its not my right to convince people to change their mind about their choice.

Which is something that I wish the more "enthusiastic" followers of another faith would respect more often.

17. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I agree. I don't fault or judge anyone's religious beliefs as long as they don't use those beliefs to condone violence or intolerance to others.

All I ask is that they don't push themselves on me. I'd like to be able to walk around and not have pamphlets jammed in my face or be asked if I know Jesus. I went to Fenway Park for Opening Day last week and got bombarded by these people. I wanted to see a Baseball game not have a theological discussion and be told I was a sinner for eating a stupid hot dog.

18. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm not a Atheist, I'm actually Catholic. But I can't stand people who throw thier religous beliefs in people's faces. Those kind of people give us regular religous people a bad name.

19. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Yes, I am an athiest.

20. Jedi_Triba_Blakan

Jedi_Triba_Blakan Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2004
    I'm an agnostic. However, one of my favorite quotes is:

"I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one less god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, then you will know why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

I think it would make a good bumper sticker. Not that I could possibly have something like that on my car in this town. We're practically the buckle on the bible belt.

21. EsperVeum

EsperVeum Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2004
    I was raised a catholic christian so whatever I may say now I know that I'll always have the christian morals and ethics in the back of my mind... Right now I just tend to not care about religious questions at all, so that doesn't make me an atheist...
    Lately I've discovered about "deism" [ The belief, based solely on reason, in a God who created the universe and then abandoned it, assuming no control over life, exerting no influence on natural phenomena, and giving no supernatural revelation -Dictionary.com ] and I think that fits my own ideas, combined with my foolish belief in the Force each time I get super accurate intuitions, or when I succeed to throw stuff in the trash can 4ft away :p

22. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    I agree with Rox on this one. I'm born and raise a Baptist, and I try not to shove my religion in other people's faces, if they want to know something, I'll tell them, but I'm not gunna force people into it.

And as far as "scary and freaky beliefs"; I don't find my beliefs to be freaky, and I doubt that I scare anyone with them, other than conservative Christians that is.....

23. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    I'm an agnostic-atheist. :p

24. tekmaster

tekmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2003
    I'm MORMON!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!

25. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    I'm a realist first and foremost. As far as the existence of an omnipotent deity? I'd rather believe that an infintely powerful being could exist forever, rather than inanimate matter living forever that was the catalyst for the Big Bang. The mortal flaw of atheism. ;)

<[-]> Saber

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.