main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I like to envision it as resembling Azula and Zuko, except that the prodigy is both the older child, and super chill towards his sibling even as the younger one gradually begins expressing how envious and spiteful they are *because* of that.

“It’s okay, Oozie! Life’s not just about winning and conquering your foes! It’s fun, but it’s not everything!”

“...Every noun and verb in that sentence infuriates me.”

Rew and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  2. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    Not sure I am looking forward to the Live Action series since the creators left (unless they are back, though haven't seen anything about it).

I am looking forward to the new animated series though!

Also am enjoying the comic books.

3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Am looking forward to it, the ages seems to have stayed the same except for Zuko and Sokka.

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

Well one things for sure at least is sounds like they have a plan.;)

8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't know what it is about this whole CONFIRMED ETHNICITIES thing just feels wrong.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The errors of the previous iteration being so impossibly heinous that they felt they needed to do this to establish a modicum of credibility? It was like they finally let Slowpokeking become casting director.

I wouldn't necessarily say so. Certainly as Ozai became entrenched, he had plenty of opportunity to diminish his brother and chose not to. While his comments were particularly cold-hearted, I have to imagine they also reflected some part of genuine sentiment in the Fire Nation about the way the seige at Ba Sing Se ended. I suspect they had a decent relationship until Iroh's grief alienated most people.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The Last Airbender is the movie that made the term "whitewashing" become popular on the internet

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I know what happened.

But the whole thing nonetheless puts a wrong feeling my gut.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    "I'm looking for a full feeling in my gut, I'm starving" -- Sokka

14. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    One thing to consider here, in an odd way: the broad ranging nature of “Asian” as an ethnicity still actually includes an absolutely *massive* amount of flexibility and diversity even within itself, especially as we’re dealing with fictional countries and cultures. “Native American” is a lot more specific due to populations, but still extremely wide-ranging. And both come with only a need for ancestry to align with such broad ethnicities; actual cultural background for the actors matters much less, since each Nation is a distinct but still wholly fictional collection of inspirations. And three of the Nations have distinct subgroups within themselves: the Fire Nation has the Sun Warriors, the Water Tribe has the Swamp Tribes between the somewhat similar Poles, and the Earth Nation is extremely decentralized. That adds yet more diversity in the text.

There’s also the irony that the Fire-Nation in the much maligned movie had the only bright-spots for the cast… and we’re also the only major character not played by Caucasians. *That* may have been more the result of Shyamalan having a bad casting director, picking ubiquitous and bland actors for the heroes and just picking actors he recognized (and thus actually had successful careers) for the Fire Nation.

Still, it’s good to see them specifically try to echo the specific cultural spins they already grounded the series in.

15. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  16. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Well, now that just makes sense.

17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    There's also a lot to unpack in that the heroes were white and the villains were the same ethnicity (if memory serves) as the director.

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    In the film Zuko seemed like the character Shyamalan was most connected with. lt felt like the movie Shyamalan really wanted to make would have focused on the Fire Nation and Zuko. Those scenes had more passion to them while the scenes focused on the heroes felt more like an obligation.

19. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    It also no doubt helped that Zuko’s Book One story arc as the deuteragonist starts with him already more mature, and with a finale that has a more complex arc for him than Aang. Most of Aang’s best Book One stuff was in the middle season stories that Shylaman cut out while rather foolishly trying to adapt the entire first season.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    M. Night’s style of filmmaking is very personal and internalized. Maybe I’m reading too much into this. I think Zuko’s story of an outcast prince resonated with Shyamalan after making three critically panned films and Lady in the Water was a huge box office loss. M.Night couldn’t recreate his 6th Sense level of success. Zuko became a fictionalized version of M. Night’s own struggle to reclaim his greatness.

When I watched the movie last year after finishing the series - Zuko as a proxy for late 00’s Shyamalan seemed uncomfortably clear. I get the feeling M. Night took on Avatar hoping to restart his career but wasn’t in the creative mindset needed to succeed. It was a tall order Book One could ever successfully be retold as a single two hour movie. No way a filmmaker could do it with their own personal demons thrown into the mix.

21. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Avatar could have been a cakewalk for him. All he had to do was not change things stupidly.

Instead, we got ONG and fire benders needing a source of fire rather than just generating it like on the show.
    Also, EEro over Iroh. These weren't hard things to research. All he had to do was watch the first season since that was the movie he was making.
    And if you are telling me that after 20 episodes, he still thought ONG and EERO were the correct pronunciations, I don't believe you.

Instead, we know what happened: He never watched the show. Maybe don't try to adapt material if you don't at least watch a few episodes first?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I've always felt like the Siege of North two-part episode had a sufficiently cinematic quality to just be a film unto themselves. Granted, you wouldn't have had the gradual introduction to Aang, but there was more than enough for it to be a function en medias res sort of deal.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Of all the things to criticize about the movie (there are many), the one that kills me is the pronunciation thing. The film was trying to pronounce the names closer to those of the origin languages -- names like Aang, Iroh, and even the word Avatar were pronounced "wrong" to the eyes of most cartoon viewers, but they were culturally right (I don't know about the origins of the name Sokka so I can't speak to that). It was one of the very few things the movie actually got right, in my view.

It's really, really annoying to see people insist on the butchered Americanized pronunciations of names, especially since those pronunciations exist because of people who can't be bothered to respect people's names.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Rew likes this.
  24. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Fair point, but wasn't at least Iroh's name pronounced culturally correctly in the cartoon? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Chinese transcription of Iroh's name on the FN wanted poster would be pronounced "Ai-roh", so the pronunciation in the show was correct, even if the Latin transcription was anglicised.

25. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Going to disagree here. It may be that the cartoon got it wrong and that is a valid criticism. But when you literally have his name mentioned in the credits for three full seasons, this isn’t something you just ignore in the movie.

For viewers, that is the pronunciation of the character’s name in the show all the kids watched. It was an adaption of what was, essentially, a kids cartoon, by the same kids network. So all it does is confuse kids and viewers. And it starts the film off on the wrong foot when two characters have their name pronounced differently. And then the other changes like a source for fire don’t help.