main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ATLA and The Legend of Korra (ATLA live action remake coming Feb 2024)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthDragon164, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    That finale was awful. There are family shows and there are kids shows, and I'd say they've finally fallen from being a family show to being a kids show.

Ulicus likes this.
  2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I dunno about being a kids show or whatever, but it was pretty "meh". That's pretty much the whole season to me in a nutshell, aside from Wan's story.

Wonder what the next "book" can possibly be called after "spirits"..

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Having not seen the finale, my problem with this season to-date is that it seems over-stuffed, and disjointed as a consequence. They had the potential to do a very interesting political season, with a rebellion as the main plot and a war profiteer as a major subplot. Certainly, they tried to do a lot of set-up in this direction early on. It was also something completely new to the Avatar universe, as we'd never seen someone try to navigate the role as a supra-national arbiter of justice before. Likewise, all the exploration of the Spirit World and the Avatar's connections there was also new. The Wan backstory is undeniably the high point of this season, and a lot of exciting characters and moments came out of it. But why try to do both at the same time?

The politics was skimped over. The rebellion got no development but a pretty full conclusion, while the war profiteering angle got lots of development and a short-circuited conclusion. Neither is satisfying. The spiritual stuff, on the other hand, was largely delayed, and received no real attention outside of Wan's story and last week's episode. I think they really would have been better served just splitting this into separate seasons.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    How? If anything, it became more adult, and showed some permanent
    losses and consequences.

How was that finale not exciting for you?

And I'm thinking maybe
    [Book3: Avatars

Well, once you see the finale,

There is a reason for why the tried to do both. To show how dark the world was becoming, and helps justify why Korra believed the barrier between the worlds should finally go down at the end.

And we knew from the beginning of the rebellion that they were just trying to hold out until reinforcements came, and couldn't stand against openly trying to attack the occupation forces. And the rebellion's cause ends up being successful. And Varrick is still out there. Also, looking farther back, I can now see more hints to the season's spiritual conclusion and message throughout the entire season now.

5. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^I didn't say the finale wasn't exciting, but yeah, it was underwhelming. Why? I guess it just didn't feel very well thought out or surprising.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ok, but why did it seem not well thought out or unsurprising? Just trying to get the discussion going. I put the reasons for my opinion. I thought some parts of it were very surprising, and looking back I can now see the hints planned out for the conclusion throughout this season, and even building from previous seasons.

7. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I'm too underwhelmed to type a bunch about why it was underwhelming. :b

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Wocky: The politics stuff was great, but I feel like they tried to do too much in this season and everything seemed like it got a quick, superficial glaze. I too liked the questioning about the role of the Avatar in a world of nations and laws, as I said, as it was a great thread picked up from last season... but it's titled Book 2: Spirits, and we saw nary a spirit between the pilot and the Wan episodes basically.

JINORA EX MACHINA

I TOLD YOU THAT SHE WAS THE BEST, I TOLD YOU. :p

*cough*

Ok, some development on my thoughts:

As much as I was pleased by the Jinora ex machine, that's just a liiiil bias on my part showing. I'm actually not a huge fan of these endings, and it seems the show always uses them. I think that Avatar book 2 and Korra book 1 were the best endings in the show (and really, Korra book 1 might've been tied with Avatar book 2 if not for the Aang ex Machina) whereas this one was... eh. Especially as the penultimate episode ended so well. Like, the destruction of Raava and the loss of the past Avatars was shattering. Especially as a few of the past lives were known to us in themselves, not just Aang, so it felt like multiple character deaths in quick succession.

Now, I know they couldn't end with the destruction of the Avatar cycle period unless they were killing the franchise, so I know Raava would be found somehow. But the way they did it was kind of silly -- too many flashing lights and too little sense. I do admire them for having the guts to kill off all the past Avatars and make it a completely new era.

And I didn't realize until someone -- I think Ghost -- mentioned it, but yeah, the Avatar State is completely de-powered now. I guess they wrote themselves into a corner by having her master it at the end of Book 1, and they were sidelining this book: but now the Avatar State is fairly limited. Still a boost, judging from Wan, but probably not as extremely powerful as it once was. Pretty bold move.

It also makes me laugh because Korra -- though I wanted to knock sense into her so badly at the start of this season -- is still my favorite Avatar, and she's now thoroughly outclassed Aang. Yeah, the guy ended a 100 year war but Korra saved the universe from a 10,000 year darkness, and she's now the last of the old generation of Avatars and the first of the new. That's a big legacy, and she'd better start acting like it -- because she was really disappointing at the start of this last season.

Ghost and Mia Mesharad like this.
  9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I am so confused by what just happened.

AND THERE IS NOW NOT A SINGLE SHIP ON THE ENTIRE SHOW THAT IS TOGETHER. WTH.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

You forgot Varrick and Ju Lee or however it's spelled.

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    They're not a ship. I mean, seriously, the only relationship that has survived this entire season is Tenzin & Pema. Sheesh.

Okay, so what I'm super confused about is the whole "one cannot live without the other" aspect of Rava and Vaatu.... so how did Korra destroy Vaatu? And what exactly did Jinora DO? I thought Jinora was going to end up sacrificing her life to take Rava's place, which would have been sad and tragic but ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL and instead she just shows up and... does... a giant glowy ball?

And I'm desperately sad that Lin just pretty much was rendered stupid for most of the season.

I'm also very annoyed with how Varrick as a sub-villain was just forgotten. PLUS they just completely ignored and glossed over Mako and Asami.

I also squealed so loud at Zhao. OMG.

Overall... meh. Just... meh.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's a battleSHIP, geez. Also you kinda forgot Tonraq and Senna :p

I don't think Korra really destroyed Vaatu. I think she did to him what Vaatu did to Raava earlier, which was temporarily wipe him out to the extent that he'd probably be back? At least, that's my guess.

And yeah, I was really frightened that Jinora was becoming the new Raava too or pulling a Yue to restore Raava, which would have been tragically beautiful like you said, but it would have basically killed me. Completely. Sure, my two favorite characters merge, but in the worst possible way. :p

As for Lin, yeahhh... it was basically an insult to her character to even have her here. She was passive, dumb, and useless. Completely the opposite from the Lin we saw before. I get that she can't go on adventures since she's chief again, but she could at least have been actively involved in the RC plotline instead of being a stumbling block for Mako.

If this were a political season instead of a spiritual season, Varrick vs Unalaq would've been so much compelling. Especially if they had set him up as the real villain, and given Unalaq good intentions but bad methods... Varrick would be a mere war profiteer, and thus ultimately more selfish. But because this had to be about spirits, next to a giant red/black kite thing, Varrick kinda pales. He was just comedy relief, and that's such a waste.

And I agree with you about Mako and Asami, or rather, Asami in particular. Aside from seeing her reaction to Korra kissing Mako and Mako messing that up, we don't see her anymore. Like, I came out of that whole thing feeling terrible for Asami -- here she is treated like crap again, and the show never even touches that. I get it's the finale, but geez.

Also, the Zhao thing annoyed me. I would have preferred a way to make that water tribe comic canon :p

13. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Well, for me the conclusion was the same as Book 1: Felt rushed, pulls a deus ex machina out of nowhere, and (almost) everything is wrapped up in a nice little bow. Also, sad to admit this, but I had to pirate the last 2 eps because I didn't feel like bothering with stupid buffering from Nickelodeon. Hopefully the last 2 Books will up the quality to levels similar to "Beginnings" and take more time to wrap things up properly.

What about no spoilers was hard to get? There's a line between a spoiler-free review and one that's spoilery, and yours crossed that line.

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Well then. I guess we'll just do this as a list.

1. I felt the ending of this season depended too much on light-hearted fare for substantive resolutions. I don't mind some of it, since this is a children's show, but they went back to the well a few too many times for my liking. First, Bumi had a Jar Jar Binks sequence. Then, Desna and Eska essentially switch allegiances because of a "romance" that had mostly just been a joke throughout the season. To their credit, they tried to invest with more meaning in the last episode, but I still would've preferred something else.

2. I don't really understand how they were supposed to have separated Raava and Korra, or how Jinora helped reunite them later. That was all quite under-explained. But regardless, I commend them for what they did in-between, with the permanent loss of the past lives, and really creating a sense of desperation with Korra's failure at the halfway point.

3. I wasn't happy about Voltron. It just seemed sort of stupid, and only worked on the big=cool logic. I would've much preferred a more understated ending, like in LoK season 1, where there really weren't some big galactic stakes. While there were some vague intimations of expansion beyond Republic City, victory against the Four Nations would be by no means assured. So you just had a contained story, whose excitement was generated by the quality of the story-telling and your emotional investment in the characters, not trying to endlessly make everything more grand in scale. That besides, this really changed the nature of the Spirits. Looking at something like Siege of the North, you see this awesome, overwhelming power that is rightfully reverenced. Watching this, you kept waiting for someone to Form Their Blazing Sword and finish the episode.

4. The siblings squabbles and things did somewhat justify themselves with Tenzin's personal growth at the end, I suppose.

4b. It was both nice and disappointing to see Zhao. Nice cameo, but his fate was better when the horrors were unimaginable, or even that quasi-canonical comic book thingy was good too.

5. Glad they finally started paying attention to the bending again. After a season full of really lame stuff, they let Unalaq and Korra really start to use water in ways that were clever, and which could actually remind people it was water. I did enjoy this a lot.
    I think that's it for now?

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    HEADCANON ALERT:

Ok, so I've decided that this is how the Zhao thing works...

Zhao's crazy thing in the foggy lost souls doesn't have to invalidate that comic... instead, we can say that what's in the spirit world is Zhao's malignant, evil soul. So his body washed up without a memory in that webcomic precisely because his evilness was taken to the spirit world. So the comic can still possibly be canon or something.

....that's my story and I'm sticking with it. :p

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    This thread is going to be a pain in the ass for the next six days.

17. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Jinora ex machina was one of the worst things in the finale. Way more dumb than the lion turtle or Aang showing up. Why the heck is she suddenly a writer's pet?

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yeah, I'll agree it was the weakest part of all the Avatar endings. Mostly because it's still not even clear what she did.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    If -- and only if -- all the known regulars of this thread have seen the finale, I'll consider suspending the spoiler thing early. But I don't wanna make assumptions, especially where the finale is concerned.

Togruta:

I'll agree that I am so not a fan of that ending... I don't mind her being a writer's pet because she's obviously my favorite, but her whole magic glowy thing... what the heck was that? Why?

Although to be fair, the entire last episode was pretty stupid. Giant glowing monsters fighting each other? Like IJG said, kid's show stuff. Not up to the level we expect. The penultimate episode was much more mature, and I'd really have preferred them fighting as extremely powerful Avatar-State level benders (not too different from the Avatar finale) than that.

Rosslcopter likes this.
  20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm specifically not seeing the finale yet, but if it comes to that I wouldn't be offended if the ban was lifted--logistically, I can understand why you might.

Personally, IMO, the online thing feels demeaning. Two episodes a week already basically amounts to them trying to burn it off as fast as humanly possible; now this strikes me as if we asked Nick to lend us a dollar and they crumpled up a five and threw it at our feet. "Oh, you want your Korra episodes? There you go--go get 'em."

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I really don't know why they're mistreating their best show like this. Constantly shifting timeslots, burning off the final -- and therefore likely to be highest rated -- four episodes all at once...

Darth Xalfrea likes this.
  22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    This entire block of episodes was ludicrous. The promises I felt were implicit from Beginnings weren't delivered on AT ALL. Okay, so we're supposed to be afraid of a giant monster man attacking the world? Isn't evil spirits overrunning everything enough? How the hell did Korra become the giant Korra? What the hell did Jinora even do, and how did she do it? DOES ANYTHING HERE ACTUALLY MAKE SENSE? Did the writers just give up, and said "Well, we don't know how to end this responsibly in a way that pays respect to anything established before this, so here's a bunch of flashing lights and colors and the avatars are all gone now. Kthnxbye."

Am I the only one who thought that beyond the visuals, there's nothing basically of value here? The ending may be interesting, but the way they accomplished it isn't right. Even the Iroh, Zhao and Aang cameos just felt like pandering, and I felt that way about the previous Iroh appearance.

Infuriating, to say the least. Also, there's this. Which is pretty sad.

[​IMG]

Ulicus , Nobody145, Togruta and 2 others like this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  24. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    The more I think about it the less this entire season makes any kind of actual sense. The entire structure of it was messed up, there were way too many characters that served no purpose, Lin got stuck with the idiot ball, Bolin got stuck with the idiot ball, Asami got sidelined, the bending was almost universally off, the relationships were almost universally pointless....I could go on. And depending on what the wider reception for this episode is, I might.

But let me close with this.I realize the show has used deus ex machinas before.I acknowledge that this isn't anything new to the series as a whole. But that doesn't mean we should expect it. It's lazy storytelling, plain and simple. And they had probably 2 in there. They can and did get away with these kinds of flourishes in the past, but enough is enough. If I know how every season is basically going to end before it's gotten to the halfway point because of their use of these methods it's not good. And I'm not talking about the fact that I called the Unalaq thing. It's beyond that. It's saying that the entire thing will be resolved because some "other" entity with a previously unknown power gave a mystical one time fix and now everything's better. The addition of consequence this time around was nice, but it basically doesn't change anything.

And the worst part is that I think they gave themselves the tools throughout the season to craft a meaningful resolution. The entire inclusion of the spirit world, the Ravi/Vaatu struggle, perhaps Korra's abuse of the Avatar state. And you had the possibility of interesting characters like Unulaq, Varrick, Deska and Esna, Tonraq. And they all played out to be either formulaic and boring or completely inconsequential.

For those who don't want to read spoilers/what I wrote, this season had a lot of time and a lot of potential. And it was mostly pissed away.

At least I have Beginnings though.

Togruta and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I was actually kind of afraid / hoping they'd be bold enough to do a dark ending like the end of Avatar season 2 -- leave Korra as the last Avatar for a bit (to be fixed later), or something. The problem is that the stakes were too high: you can't just leave Vaatalak to destroy the universe. He had to be taken down instead of working as a multi-series villain because of the way Harmonic Convergeance works, which is why it sucks that had to happen this season. But even so, this finale could've been different -- could've actually involved the ensemble cast somehow. As it was, they were all tools to get Korra to the spirit world. They could have all helped to hold off Vaatalak (instead of the spirits by the tree), while maybe Jinora led Korra into the spirit world to someplace where Raava could be found, or maybe someplace to lure Vaatalak until Harmonic Convergeance happened, and trap him there. I dunno.

Basically, they could've done anything but a cartoony I HAS MORE POWER NOW type of thing. I mean, good grief, they even shot ray beams at each other.

AusStig and darthcaedus1138 like this.