main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ "Attack Of The Clones" - one year on ...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, May 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    it has been almost one year since AOTC was released in cinemas ...

I was wondering what people's opinion of the film was one year after the event. How many times have you seen it? Did you buy the DVD, and how do you think it stacks up against Episode I and the original trilogy.

Personally, I really enjoyed AOTC and saw it (I think) 4 or 5 times in the cinema. I've probably only watched the DVD once, but plan on revisiting it later this week when I have a bit of spare time.

I guess my only real issue with the new SW films the over-reliance of CGI. I have no problem with CGI per se, and think it has been used really well in parts of the film. However, some of the scenes, especially the final battle on Geognosis, look too much like a computer game. I don't understand why every single Clone Trooper, for example, had to be CGI. How much trouble would it be to have a few guys in costume. The CGI made the film look almost hyper-real, which, in my books, is just the same as "fake". Still, I enjoyed Anakin's character developement, Obi-Wan, Jango and Yoda.

Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

STH

2. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    Thanks, STH. been waiting for a thread like this :D

I watched the film again not long ago, with my brother who (wait for it) had not yet seen it. He thoroughly enjoyed it, but thought the Yoda/Tyranus fight was a bit 'funny'.

I saw it 4 times at the cinema, and probably 3 times since then, twice on DVD and once on, ah... other media before the DVD release. My view on the film hasn't changed since it was released at the cinema, I absoloutely loved it, everything about it was just so 'Star Warsy' if you know what i mean.

Some people like to pick holes in the dialogue, and STH has mentioned the CGI.
    Dont mind them at all, the cheesy lines are all what makes Star Wars movies what they are. and as for the CGI, it may look 'fake' but so did the Cantina Aliens in ANH, and the Taun Tauns in ESB.

My favourite part (as I've probably mentioned somewhere before) is the Jedi arrival on Geonosis. It was so cool to see that many Jedi going into battle. I also enjoyed the development of Anakin, and his relationship with Padme intensify. The corruption of the Senate was great to follow, Yoda was neat, Dooku is a great Sith Lord, Mace rocked.

I enjoyed AOTC as much as TPM. I consider TPM to be the movie that Lucas made to capture the hearts and minds of the younger Generation (he said he made the film for 10 year old kids). AOTC has enhanced my appreciation for TPM, it certainly carries the story well. In comparison to the Original Trilogy, its still Star Wars, so its just as cool ;)

Cant wait for Episode 3... only 2 years to go :)

Might have to go watch AOTC again.

3. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I enjoyed it far more than TPM; the characters were much closer to the PT and it felt more like SW than Episode I, but that's just my opinion.

I saw it a few times in the cinema, including once during its final days at the box office when thre were about six people in the theatre; it seemed much better with a smaller audience for some reason.

I've yet to buy the DVD - in truth, I don't even have TPM. Whilst it was a superior film to the first of the PT, it's still nowhere near as good as the OT to me. Whilst it's great to see Obi Wan in his youth and the Gold Age of the old Republic in all its glory, it lacks a certain magic I'm hoping we'll see in E3.

However, you can't beat Yoda as a swordsman.

4. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    only watched it once since movies........still like most of it

5. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    Once at the cinema u know me my Mr tight but at 10.50 at ticket now i couldnt really afford to see it lots

watched it about 6 times on video will get the dvd one day

far better than tpm and anh not as good as esb and rotj

battles were the best parts thing that i didnt like much jangos and bobas acsents didnt sound like they belonged in a sw movie

6. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    What ace said once at the movies but quite a few times on dvd.....

7. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I've watched it too many times to count, lol. Love every frame of it.

Favourite parts are all the Anakin/Padmé scenes, and I also love that nice moment between Anakin and Obi-Wan in the elevator.

Hard to believe it's been a year ... I remember the actual opening night was a bit routine, because so much of it had already been leaked on the net.

8. purplebabbit

purplebabbit Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2002
    It had been a while, so I watched EP1 and EP2 back to back on dvd last night. I saw ep2 twice in cinemas, and have watched it countless times on dvd. I still love it! I love the interactions between Obi-Wan and Anakin, neat to see them before ep4. I can't wait for ep3!

9. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    Oh yeah and when harvey normans opened up down here me and my mate walked into there big projection room with all the speakers and ep2 was palying and we were like sweet ep2 we could stay here all day and a harvey normans employee snuc behind us and pushed the scene repeat button really pissed but it was the yoda landing in the arena scene

10. -Winter-

-Winter- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I've seen it many times at the cinema, once or twice on DVD, if you count the time when I watched it with the audio commentary. My brother liked it too, though the first time he saw it he walked away during the fireplace scene. Well, can't really blame him, I didn't like that scene much either. IMO that was the only weak point in the otherwise excellent movie. Liked Obi-Wan very much, the relationship between mater and Padawan was much improved from TPM. Probably my fave character from the PT.

The first time I saw it in the cinema was quite surreal. Everything was so.... large! 8-} It was a very nice experience, very few people were there, about twenty or so. Sound was slightly muted if I remember correctly, they fixed it by the second time I went to see it, which was on friday I think?

Speaking of CGI, there was an interview with The Matrix's visual effects supervisor (or whatever his title was), I think it was John Gaeta, who said their "CGI" looks a lot more real because instead of constructing the whole thing digitally, they clone from real things; something for George Lucas to think about perhaps?

11. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    I still love it, haven't watched it recently but.
    Loved seeing the jedi in all their glory,
    Yoda rocks!!
    Not so keen on the love angle, bit too girly movie-ish for me ( no offence intended girlies! :) )but I guess its needed.
    Would like to see a movie or dvd release where the deleted scenes could be added and not placed on the end!!

12. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    BTW, I'm still irked the 'dual-saber-Dooku' deleted scenes didn't make the cut on the DVD extras.

13. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    that's interesting Kai ... I remember reading quite a bit about what scenes were deleted from the final cut of the film ... the raid on the Droid Control Ship on Geognosis, Dooku's twin-sabre attack, and a few others which escape my rather obliterated memory right now. The point is, I thought the deleted scenes on the DVD were pretty average. whereas what was on the TPM DVD was excellent. Makes me wonder if Lucas is possibly holding some of this off for his proposed "ultimate editions".

Seeing The Matrix:Reloaded at midnight tonight. yay!

14. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    There were rumors there was going to be another AOTC cut scene available for download on starwars.com, if they went with the 'pay section' option when Ep3 starts filming.

15. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Just like STH i too am off to see The Matrix Reloaded at midnight 2nite in Chch...3 hours to go, can't wait. Hopefully it's as goos as the first one and lives up to the hype. Have remained relatively spoiler free for it, so i'm expecting big things!

Oh yeah and AOTC - saw it about 7 times at the cinema and watch the DVD (at least in parts) as much as i can...i'm a student so I have alot of down time.

I agree about the deleted scenes - boring, there's no wonder they were deleted!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.