main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Author Analysis: Daniel Keys Moran

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
  2. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Daniel Keys Moran, IMO, is probabaly the most underappreciated Star Wars author. His short story, "The Last One Standing" seems to have become the basis for most Fett characterizations, and "Empire Blues", which gave us the background of Labria, wasn't too shabby either.

3. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Daniel Keys Moran is the single best author to have graced the Star Wars franchise.

That is all.

4. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Best short-story author by far. I [face_love] Empire Blues.

He's able to set a great tone with his stories, really getting into the character's head. I'm tremendously disappointed that we haven't gotten more from him.

5. _ViE_AcheRoN_

_ViE_AcheRoN_ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2003
    Damn straight. "The Last One Standing" is my favorite piece of Star Wars literature, bar none, and "A Barve Like That" isn't far behind.

"Empire Blues" isn't one of my personal favorites, but it, too, is pretty high up there in terms of quality.

I wish he'd come back. The EU could use someone with his ability these days.

6. Jodus

Jodus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 21, 2005
    Well, have to be honest, he wrote the definative Boba Fett for me and possibly more. The stories were well rounded and entertaining. He made Boba a person, yet still the Bounty Hunter we can all love.

7. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    Wait, HE'S the guy that wrote those two?

My god. That ... IS Boba Fett. No matter how much the character has been mangled since ... every time I read his stories, I'm reminded why I was drawn to him in the first place.

8. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Yep, DKM wrote "A Barve Like That" under a pseudonym, apparently.

Believe it or not, I actually really like ol' Bobby-- as portrayed by DKM. What I don't like is how subsequent portrayals have been all over the map with him. Comics I can understand, but DKM's nuances were particularly missed in the latest LotF installment.

I'd like to know what editorial problems caused him to used a pseudonym for "A Barve Like That," providing the quote in the Wooki can be trusted.

9. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Daniel Keys Moran (The Last One Standing) and Andy Mangels (Twin Engines of Destruction) created the two perfect depictions of Boba Fett for their respective media. Those are the two interpretations I try to stay loyal to when dealing with Boba.

10. Jodus

Jodus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 21, 2005
    I forgot about Engines of Destruction, wonderfully done in relationship to his character. At the same time showing his ruthless side, but also a softer side for the people.

As for DKM, I would love to see more short stories by him. Especially more Fett stories, something earlier in his career perhaps. He did very well making his Last One Standing stretch several decades. In fact, when I get back to school, I think I'll pick up Last One Standing. Its due time for another read :)

And Abel, glad to see u have good role models :D

11. _ViE_AcheRoN_

_ViE_AcheRoN_ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2003
    That's very reassuring. =D=

12. Brant_Flir

Brant_Flir Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    I've never heard of this guy, but if he writes good Fett, then i've got to read some. Where can i find his pieces?

13. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina (though that's not a Fett story), Tales of the Bounty Hunters, and Tales from Jabba's Palace.

14. Brant_Flir

May 30, 2005
    Strangley, that is one of the stories that i haven't read in Mos Eisly... *runs off to read it.*

15. Brant_Flir

May 30, 2005
    Wow. He iss a great writer. Now I HAVE to read the Boba Fett one, it must be great!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.