main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Authors Rant Therapy Thread-- feeling down? Join in!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ShrunkenJedi, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    If this isn't an appropriate topic, I can take it off. However, I think it could be a most useful thread.

The concept: Are you feeling like no one reads your stories, you have major writers' block, you really want to be a writer but fear you'll never write anything good enough? Yep, we've all been there. Problem is, when it strikes, you feel all alone. Post here and share, and we can make it through together.

I'll start: Aargh! (Yep, scream therapy works too). I turned in this story I had been polishing and polishing for months to the archives over a week ago, and I just find out its' been rejected! I had to close my two threads because a. I was a newbie when I started them and didn't realise I needed a plan for a long story, and b. low readership. And I have most of an outline for a new story, but I just can't think of how it should begin, and therefore end! (Not to mention I'm a horrible procrastinator and I have a slough of homework due tomorrow). Once again, ARRGH!

Now it's your turn.

2. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    I?ll allow this thread to stay open, but I don?t want this turning into a ?name a person and complain about them? thread. It?s not productive and it?s detrimental to the community. If I see anything like I described above, it will be edited and this thread will be locked. It is my belief that the author didn?t intend for this thread to turn into a ?complaints-against-so-and-so? thread.

3. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks, Ami, I should have PM'd you first. And I most certainly did not mean to for this thread to include personal attacks! Nope, just good old fashioned spill-your-guts soul cleansing. ;)

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Force Ghost star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=11990952&replies=63]Archive thread[/link]... that's the place for Archive discussions. :)

My only rant is against Darth Real Life And Darth Writers Block... I can SEE where the story is SUPPOSED to go but sometimes the words just won't go from the brain to Word...

5. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Darth Real Life has been plaguing me since I started university. I really want to update all my stories, but I always have so much work to do. :_|

[hl=pink]YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002[/hl]

6. C_o_r_u_s_c_a_n_t

C_o_r_u_s_c_a_n_t Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Darth Real Life and Darth Writers' Block are the worst! :(

7. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    How about those readers that leave feedback for the first post or two, and then dissappear?

Having a procrastination attack lately, too, which is no fun.

-Tim

8. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Oh yeah! Hate that!

::Grabs two lightsabers out of thin air in preparation for battling those dastardly Sith, Darth Real Life and Darth Writers Block:: Those Sith better watch out, 'cause I'm about ready to use the Dark Side on 'em!

9. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    I hate having completed a story that did really well and then having to write another one. I feel like it has to be better than the first, and all that's happening is I'm struggling along with the fic. It's so frustrating.

~Inyri

10. The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose

The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    I agree w/ Inyri. I completed a fic that was a pretty big hit, and needed to write the sequel b/c ppl were like, "Oh, please!". And, it was a trilogy to begin with. So, I ended my hiatus earlier than expected, and when I come back, half of those readers don't even read anymore!!!! It's upsetting when people bug you like that. It's like when you always want something, and promise to take the best care of it in the world, and then you get it, decide you want something else, and treat the other item like trash. Where did the enthusiasm go?

~*Ambyr-Rose*~

11. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Well, currently in my harddrive there are about six or seven half completed stories and snapshots. However, only three of those are recent...

It's really, really getting to me in that I seem only capable of putting down half the snapshot before I run out of ideas and/or motivation.

It's really, really starting to annoy me. I desperately want to finish them, but can't seem to find the time (the main factor) or the inspiration to just sit down and write.

Kithera

12. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I really want to write so badly, but I have so much homework and I'm not getting the topic we're covering and the guy who could help me is on the phone! :( Also, I'm very worried that I won't be able to find a job! :( :_| Even though I have one now, it's kind of endangered . . .

So yeah, DRL is really riding me now . . . :(

Jae Angel

13. The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose

The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Poor Narundi! Omigosh---I wish I could even have a job. My parents cart me around everywhere...including my brother's activities(yuck). And whatever I want comes after what they want. So I am last in line. Plus, the homecoming dance is Saturday and I'm recovering from a fever blister. DRL is evil.

~*Ambyr-Rose*~

14. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, currently in my harddrive there are about six or seven half completed stories and snapshots. However, only three of those are recent...

Oh, I hear you, girlfriend! I've got one that's been there since about October 2000, has nearly 100 pages, and I have a PLOT HOLE you could drive a Star Destroyer through... no clue what is motivating the bad guys or exactly how to resolve it. Sigh...

Not having enough time is always a problem.

Here, everyone, have a brownie... anakins_girl says Qui-Gon made them... [face_love]

15. Rose_Skywalker

Rose_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2002

My rants: I have plot holes from hell, i have no idea where one part of my plot is going. I have no time to write because of college.

i hate people who shamelessly plug thier fics in my story without reviewing. Now i have nothing against people pluggin their fic in my story, if there my readers and if they review. I have an open plug policy for them; they can plug till there blue in the face. But people who just jump in a plug their story without even bothering to read mine, they make me angry. :mad:

16. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I've got two stories on my hard drive unfinishied. I know how I want them to end and I've been working on for two years. One of them has only about 5 or 6 chapters to go in my estimation, and I can't seem to write the next chapter. I've been sick on top of it.

17. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    I hate how I dive into this cool idea, have a pretty good idea of where the story is going, and the first few posts go really well...BUT:

To use a military analogy: I have the overall strategy, the actual writing (tactics) isn't a problem, but it's the "operational" phase - IE, working out what goes in what post, and in what order, and moving from the general to the nitty-gritty details - that gives me fits.

-Tim

18. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    It's not my readers that really are the issue for me, though. I love my readers. My problem is with me. Always will be.

~Inyri

19. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I'm deep in the middle of a nearly two month writing dry-spell where only little bits of paragraph's leak out once and awhile. I'm really starting to not like it. :mad: :(

20. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    My problem is that the idea is fully formed and I even know what most of the phrasing is going to be, I just don't have time to actually transfer it to a typed format.

[hl=pink]YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002 [/hl]

21. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    How about DARTH MISSIONARY?! I was a faithful writer on this board, well-respected (or at least I scared the spit out of people or got them addicted to my stories), and well-known. I read and was read and enjoyed it a lot. Then, I left to be a missionary, came back and half the people decided to quit writing, quit reading, or were simply fed up with the boards, so they don't come any more. I have a few faithful readers, but I'm going nuts because no one will tell me what they really think of my stories! It's all "Great!" I need some flaming! And I'm engaged, stressed as it is, in the middle of a difficult semester...

I'm going to start ranting before I start wanting to kill my characters again. Oops, too late.

22. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    *hugs*

[hl=pink]YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002 [/hl]

23. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Oh, indeed, Yubyub! Hugs all around!

24. Saber-of-Light

Saber-of-Light Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    My main problem? Fear that other people will flame me so horribly I turn into a pile of charcoal- though constructive criticism is okay. I suppose it's the fact that I've been pressured to excel so much in other aspects of life outside of the forums- being a writer, tennis player, violinist, student, etc., and juggling it with the fact that I'm younger than a heck of a lot of people confuses me.

Procrastination and Darth-Lack-of-Time-to-Post-and/or-Write are nuisances I believe we can all identify with.

Lack of readers (e.g. ones who reply once and then flee) is something I'm not happy with, but I'll live.

So, how was your day? :p

25. Seraphena

Seraphena Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    *venting* I hate computers that decided to eat a portion of you resource material so that you have to spend the next couple days trying to find it all again and loosing all the little plot ideas that you wrote down.

Sorry Continplating blowing up the computer right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.