main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Authors Rant Therapy Thread-- feeling down? Join in!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ShrunkenJedi, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    DarthBreezy - I really only thought that the reader-completer idea would work for stories that appear to have been completely abandoned, and the author long gone. If the author's still around, but no longer writing on that particular story, I totally think readers should run the idea by them if they can expand/finish the story. But if the author can't even be contacted - I don't know. Finishing an incomplete story is sorta like people writng Ep3, or the next JQ novel or something. Although if someone does plan on finishing another's story, I would certainly advise them to put a disclaimer in bold and flashing lights in the first post explaining what they are doing.

I don't know - would it be running too close to plagiarism? Even if none of the authors' original posts were reposted? :confused:

ShrunkenJedi - that's a cute little poem! :) I think we need to make a counter-Writer's Block chant. :p

2. PadmeSolo00

PadmeSolo00 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    ALright, I'll join.

I have a story I've been working on for a long time, and I only have one loyal reader, my other readers have stoped, or they are just lurking. It's frusterating, and makes me want to kill off a main charater just to get some replies.

THen of course I have a few plot bunnies kicking me in the head all the time, but I worry about writing them down, for not getting any readers, or even apperation.

Am I alone here?

3. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Ish - give us some time. We are busy women (all three) and we can't do everything at once (unfortunately). The results should appear in the next day or so.

My current rant is my inability to do anything, but my growing skill in being able to procrastinate. I have an assignment due on Friday (I handed one in yesterday). I have an exam on the twelth and in between I have to work, have family portraits taken, go to a family dinner and do everything my home life requires (washing, cooking excetera). It basically means that I have no time for anything else - especially writing at the moment...however I seem to be able to find time to watch Oprah! :p

*sigh* Perhaps after the twelth I'll be back in good voice/typing and reading to go for the summer holidays.

Kithera

4. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    I suppose you could say outright no plugging on your thread, Inyri

That's one solution. *shrugs* I don't know. It's a no win situation.

~Inyri

5. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Sara_Kenobi - do you think it would work if the reader-author/story finisher person ( silly.gif ) didn't repost what the author had written, but simply began writing where the story had left off? Kinda of like, "This is based on HHP's story and I'm gonna write the ending as I see it should be done."

That's really tricky. I would ask one of the Mod's for advice before you would consider doing something like that.

It would hit too close on stealing another's material for directly continuing where they left off I think. Espcially if they no longer post here and are unable to voice their feelings themselves if they'd like their work continued.

6. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Inyri, plugging without permission isn't allowed. Don't feel you have to think that it is okay - just because other threads allow it. If you don't like it ask people to stop. If they continue contact me.

Kithera

7. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002
    PadmeSolo00
    One thing about these boards... you have to be extremely patient. When I first started writing and posting, a bunch of times I wanted to give up because I got so little feedback. But someone else gave me this helpful bit of advice I will give you: (1) post because you enjoy it. Do not post solely to get great notice and have everyone admit what a great writer you are. Even if you don't get feedback keep posting. (2) Have patience. The longer you are here, the more readers you will probably get. and, (3) get to know more people here. Read others' stories and they may return the favor and read yours (plus you may find some great stories).

I hope this helped.

8. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    I'm thinking that jumping in on anyone's story to finish it is just a bad idea. Not that I haven't been tempted a time or two myself. Especially lately when I've tried to read some of the older fics for the review thread only to find that they aren't finished and probably won't ever be.

I think the best you could do with older, obviously abandoned threads is PM the author and ask specifically for permission to finish their story. Personally, I wouldn't be offended at all if someone did that on something I wrote. In fact, I'd be kinda honored that someone got that involved with something I'd written - especially if they felt they needed a real ending enough to put their own effort into it.

With that in mind, I'd probably read a story or two that the person had written to be sure our writing styles complemented each other. If I had OC's I might make a few stipulations about them (like "no killing my wonderful little padawan" etc.). If I liked their work and had no intention of finishing the story I'm inclined to think I'd let them have it. That way at least someone would be having fun - which is the whole point of writing this stuff, yes?

Another potential solution (which only works from this point forward) is that any time an author knows they will be abandoning their story they could include blanket permission in their final post for someone to take the tale and run with it.

9. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    University is really killing off my novel's ideas, even though I get countless ideas for viggies. :(

*sigh*

10. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    Thanks, Kitthera.

~Inyri

11. The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose

The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    I can't seem to find my way out of the maze that is my fic. I had everything figured out...then the computer crashed. All I have left is the Office Assistant from Microsoft Word. :_| :_| :_| I am so devestated!!!!!!!!!!!! I lost EVERYTHING! My term papers, my vignette/songfic series, my plot bunny file, my beta'd fics, my first fic that leads this series off, the pic I had picked out for the page..... :_| :_| I can't go on like this!

~*Ambyr-Rose*~

12. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    I know how that feels. Last year my PC crashed and I was without the internet for over a month. If it wasn't for my books, and Dvds, I would have went insane. 8-}

13. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    I feel with you. I've had several crashes over the years, but not so badly.

I'm printing everything out, when it's more or less ready ... at least I have a hardcopy, then ... *sigh*

14. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose

that sucks.

I recently hadsimiler problems.

My rant is lurkers.

Is there anyway to have the fourm show the number of views a thread has ?

The gming clan I'm in has fourms that do that, and it works great.
    (only prob I see here is the author would be always in his thread reviewing it and adding to it, ditto the beta)

The reason I suggest this is because at least lurker coverd people would know if they had readers.

[edit]now y'all see why I appreciate having a beta so much. My spelling stinks.[/edit]

15. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Is there anyway to have the fourm show the number of views a thread has ?

That would involve getting IGN (the company that created the boards) to alter the board software. Already, they aren?t getting rid of the numerous bugs in the database, so I don?t see that feature being implemented anytime soon.

Sorry.

Am [face_love]

16. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Oh, that stinks.

My clans site is PHP Nuke based. That explains the differnce.

17. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    I am sick of Darth Real Life! I've got friends deciding not to be my friends for reasons they won't tell me, so as to protect me from whatever they don't want to tell me about. I totally spaced going to my music lesson today! And I am so totally stressed out. I have too many tests this week along with homework and honors work due. I've got a stupid plot bunny biting me and it won't let go, nor will the homework stop. It's like OPPM!

*takes deep breath*
    Okay, I feel a little better now.

18. sabrelight

sabrelight Jedi Master star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    Darth Real life is ruining me-ruining my short writing career her on this board. About two years ago when I started writing I was able to post on a daily basis. Then last year I got a new job, which has much traveling involved and now I can hardly put a one post a month. (I have five fics going and I don't won't let any one of them go) Friends have volenteered to help me with one fic but I just don't have the time to even give out an out line. End result is that I've lost all of my enthusiastic readers.

It took me about a month to write my last post. (Writing half a post then a week later when I find time to complete my brain is not the same-I change the whole post and rewrite, time over, I leave it for next week, then when I want to complete the post: the same thing!! :X

Now you know why it took me a month to write one post. Then I finally posted, I come back the next day-no readers. Its hard for someone who's had lots of responses since day one. The fic was still in its infancy and so was my writing. But all the posts attracted a lot of responses. But I can't blame them. I hate fics which are not updated regularly. (Though I might add I have no time to read fanfic nowadays, which means I don't know any of the new writers which makes me a complete stranger around here even though I've been around since late 2000. All the people I knew have disappeared. I know I should too but I must at least finish these remaining fics.
    God give me strenght. Rant over.

Aaaah! That felt good!

19. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    Authors Rant Therapy? I think I've found my new favorite place! :)

Ooh, victims of Darth Real life and lack of reviews, I am sorry. *hands out hugs and cookies and hot chocolate to all* Right now I cannot rant much, as I am currently trapped in a mire of writers block, whilst working on a long fic. But like I said, hugs to all of you active authors suffering.. I know it's hard to write when the real worlds got you down. But remember, the main root of all fanfiction is fun, and a desire to express yourself, so try not to get bogged down. The most important thing about writing is that you like it, not what your readers like. :)

20. jedimasterkipdurron

jedimasterkipdurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Darth Real Life or if you want to be specific Darth Homework really kills the inspiration. The only time I get to write now is in study hall! Oh and beside the fact that not many people are posting in my Post-NJO story!

21. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    I wish more people would reply to my vignette. I think I've got like four people reading and answering them. Yeah, I'm new, but it would be cool to have more people check it out.

22. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    I've written a few vignettes myself. I've been here since 2000 and they still don't see much action. 8-}

People would sometimes rather read a full, ungoing story than a one-shot. It's rarely a case of them not liking someones work, or not finding it enjoyable enough to respond to. It's just sometimes they're not so popular, and then again, sometimes they are.

This place is funny that way. ;)

23. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    What Sara_Kenobi said-- some threads just get more readers for some reason, whether that reason is good or bad. ?[face_plain] ... [face_devil]

That of unfortunately doesn't make people with few readers feel any better in general...

And to keep the theme alive on this thread, as if anyone didn't know... Darth Real Life REALLY bites! Homework is of the Dark Side!

...Discuss. [face_devil]

24. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Whiskey in the Jar-Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2000
    I think I would take homework over what I've had to deal with over the past three weeks.

I've recently been made the health and safety officer of the company I work for, and I had to audit the policies and procedures of the company's H&S program to retain some kind of certification that saves us over 30 large per year.

I swear I've never felt my brain go so numb after a day of interviews and analysis. Now try doing that for three weeks to finally submit a report that's going to be picked apart by the certification board. No pressure at all :(

Well, it's done now and I can go back to my badly neglected 'Stranger' story, which is probably on the last page of the threads on the old 'Reply Only' board.

Time to go hunting :D

25. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    I am new to these boards and I feel so intimidated by the great authors that are here! Even though I've been writing since I was about 13 (and that was more than 20 years ago!) I still feel like some of my stuff just doesn't measure up to the quality of some of the stories here. Thus, I still haven't found the guts to actually post a story of mine even though I've been here for about six months now.

As for DRL, well, I wish I had homework and school to complain about. DRL, or maybe I should call him Darth Pain, is when your husband of nine years decides that he's not 'happy' and leaves you and your son is diagnosed with ADHD and kicked out of four different day cares!

Sorry, that really sounds like whining, doesn't it? I'm really working through this, I swear, and the writing has helped a lot...I hadn't written anything for about five years before this year. Maybe I will eventually find the courage to post one of my stories here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.