main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CVII Autographs in person vs pre-signed?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by JXD, Mar 31, 2015.

1. JXD

JXD Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2015
    I still can't decide if I should get autographs or not, especially the bigger names. Just over two weeks until Celebration starts and I know that many people have already purchased pre-order tickets/coupons. This will be my first Celebration and I don't want to waste all that time in queues. I'm not sure how it works, but I presume that you line up for each actor separately and only when your number space is changed on the board.

1. Are signed autographs really worth the money and wait?

2. If I want Mark, Ian, Carrie and Billy's autograph, I have to line up for each one separately?

3. What can queue times be like? Is it a lot better with the tickets rather than queue up all at once? Is it easier to plan out your day?

4.Just say I'm in Mark's queue and I'm #210 while #201-400 is on the board and I'm #505 for Billy Dee is open for #501-600, but I miss out for that number, do I have to try the following day?

5. What are usually the best times to try, first thing Thursday? on Sunday when it's less busy?

6. Will it take a lot of time to get Mark, Carrie, Ian and Billy's signatures?

Thanks all, a few noob questions, but this is my first Celebrations and have no idea how things are run or experienced it before.

2. cronedoggy

cronedoggy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    1. Depends. I've mostly done the minor people's autographs, expect for jamie king, ian mcdiarmid and ashley eckstein. The minor people will take pic with you for free, so that's cool.

2. yes

3. Can vary a lot. I waited 3.5 hours for Ashley's autograph. She was nice enough to stick around after the convention closed. Ian had a long line most of the day, but I snuck over when his line was empty (in the middle of waiting for ashely's autograph, a nice father/son saved my spot in line). I knelt to him and said "what is thy bidding my master". He goes "yes, yes, very nice". If you can't tell I was floating on cloud nine. Super happy I get to meet palpy.

4. Don't quote me on this, but I think the number just exclude later numbers, rather than earlier numbers. So it might start with 1-100, then 1-200, then 1-300 etc.

5. During a popular panel, that you don't care about, or during thursday/sunday

6. Potentially hours. Cons are mostly waiting in lines. Get in line for a panel you want to see 1.5 hours early.

3. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008

As a volunteer for Official Pix I'd be happy to answer your questions and give my opinions...

1 - Absolutely. They can be a showpiece of your collection, if that's what you enjoy. The memory you associate with it and getting to meet an actor you've admired on the screen is pretty invaluable. And, as always, it depends on the person. For my experiences, Mark and Carrie were great to interact with. Billy was polite. And I had to do the drop off service for Ian cause I ran out of time.
    Worth the wait? Depends on what else you want to do and how much time you have...how's that for an ambiguous answer. I'd go with yes, because they are priceless experiences to many fans who won't ever have this opportunity.

2 - Yes, each person will have their own line. You may be able to do them back-to-back-to-back depending on if they're all signing at the same time.

3 - Queue times can range from a few minutes to a couple of hours. It depends on when you get there and when the actor gets there. I lined up for Mark first thing for the day and waited only until he arrived. Total time was about an hour or so since he had earlier obligations. Yes, the tickets save much time and help stagger the line so there's not a crush of people and you come back during a certain window or later. It makes it much easier to plan your day.

4 - Here's how the numbers work. With your example, they say numbers 1 - 400 for Mark can sign. Then, when the line starts to get short, they add another 100 ticket numbers, so numbers 1 - 500 can line up and get signatures. The numbers that can be allowed to sign gets progressively larger. They never deny somebody with an earlier number since the range of accepted numbers just gets larger. Does that make sense?

5 - It depends on your schedule and your ticket number. Generally, the beginning of the day is best. Also, pay attention to when it's around lunch time as they leave for a break (they're human, too, ya know) and when they have to leave to be on a panel. Don't get frustrated, but just anticipate and plan ahead.

6 - These folks have been signing for many years and can knock out 200 - 250 signatures an hour. Once you are behind the privacy curtain, the Official Pix volunteers will help you with your free photo, writing down a name for personalization, getting your item in front of them and then helping you gather up your stuff as you exit. You'll enjoy the experience and it will be fun! Be sure to say hi to them and think of something unique to say as that may make their day, too.

Hope this helps!

4. rancorwrangler

rancorwrangler Jedi Knight

Mar 31, 2015
    That's some great info from everyone. Thank you!

For me, I'm personally waiting for Mark, Ian and possibly Carrie (I have VIP tix to Dallas fan expo so I'll probably save meeting her for when I can skip the line lol). For the rest of the actors, I'm probably going to do the drop off (I've met BDW and Kenny and hear Anthony can destroy your whole experience depending on his mood). Then for the ILM guys, I'll judge their line but I've heard that it's usually a lot easier to get quickly up to the behind the scenes guys. Excited!!

5. JXD

JXD Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2015
    Didn't expect such awesome answers, thank you, I really appreciate it. I'll be there for all 4 days and be there all day, I'm not flying from New Zealand for nothing. :D

6. JXD

JXD Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2015
    If I'm #410 and they're serving #001-200, that means I need to wait for the board update of serving #400-599, should I stick around the general area or go do something else for like 1-2 hours then come back to see if the board has updated?
    Can anyone please share their experiences with the numbering system and what they did?

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I would go away for something else while the board says 1-200, after a while it will say 1-300, then 1-400, and then 1-500 and then you can go. But even if you return and it says 1-600, you can still go in with your #410 ticket.

8. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Nothing personal on you, but some of the volunteers are a little to fast for my taste. I was in line for Carrie Fisher at one time (I think CVI) and the volunteer pushed my photo in front of her while the guy in front of me was still talking to her. And she signed it while talking to him and then she got the next photo pushed in front of her meaning basicly no time for me. I have met her 4 times, so I have gotten to talk to her at other times, but still, we pay enough to at least have our photo for signing follow our place in the line. I know you are problably given strictkt directions from Official Pix to get things moving fast, but still all in it's own time. :)

9. JXD

JXD Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2015
    I'm gonna pass on autographs this time round, I'll wait for next Celebration. The numbering system just doesn't feel right or logical. I don't know what number I'll get, but seeing how close it is to 16th April, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm #1000 for Mark. I could turn up at opening time everyday and still have to wait until 1-1000 is called, so people with a lower number can just jump in the queue and I have to wait, how is that fair? If I do wait for 1-1000 to be called there could still be 700 in the queue. I could come to the queue early everyday and not get much of a chance, even if I tried on the last day, people may surge into the queues and I miss out and won't get a refund. The whole point for me getting a autograph is to meet them too.

Or am I wrong and should buy tickets anyways?

10. cronedoggy

cronedoggy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012

I think its fair that people who paid for tickets first get an advantage. Just like people who line up for panels first get first crack on the best seats. If you should get them anyways depends on what you value. I largely haven't bothered, cause I'd rather see panels then see Hamil up close for 20 seconds.

11. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    If you really want an autograph from somebody in particular then check out the line and aim for a time when it isn't very long. Mark, Carrie, Ian, and Billy Dee will probably be the longest waits and it all boils down to how badly you want their autograph and how much time/money you're willing to spend to get it and that is an equation which varies from one person to the next.

Also, the numbering system seemed to work pretty well. I was also an Official Pix volunteer (and I am for this Celebration too!) and those lines tended to move smoothly from what I saw. The numbering is probably the most fairest system you will get outside of the cattle call lineup which can lead to all kinds of trouble. If you're still unsure, then set some money aside, watch the process and decide to buy or not buy your tickets after you get a feel for it.

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  12. Mr_Mundi

May 24, 2002
    Well, it really comes down to what you prefer.
    On a personal level I really like to have the autograph as a momentum of having met said person. I have met all the guests with dedicated tickets, but if that wasn't the case, then I would have this time around.

I agree with you, having waited this long, you will likely get a very high number, but still, if you will be there all weekend, then I see no reason as to why you shouldn't be able to meet the guest you want.
    Still, I don't believe they would sell you a ticket, if you won't be able to meet the guest. Acually I think they have held out before on selling tickets at some point during the convention untill they were sure the guest would be able to make another batch of tickets. And even if they do sell you a ticket, and your number never is written on the board, then I would say they have to give you a refund, regardless of their policy. If they sell you a ticket and they can't honor that commitment, then it's their fault, and a refund would be in order. But like I said, I don't think it would ever get to that point.

So in short: If you want the autograph, then go for it. But now rather than later. ;)

13. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    I am still confuse with this. I bought two and you still can' take a photograph with the actor? :confused:

14. JXD

JXD Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2015
    I bought photo ops with Leia, Luke, Palpatine, Lando and Maul, I feel they will have more value and meaning than the autographs, I know I won't get time to talk to them, but you don't get a hell of a lot of time talking to them when you get an autograph either. I may get autographs next Celebration.

15. Mr_Mundi

May 24, 2002
    I am not sure what you mean.

There is NO cameras allowed during photoshoots. Normally you have a choice between leaving yourstuff outside the photoshoot booth or holding it in your hand during the shoot. They don't want you to bring your stuff into the booth in you are gonna put it on the floor because it takes too long for you to put it on the floor and pick it up after the shoot.

Except from Daniel Logan and maybe Jeremy Bulloch, you shouldn't expect guests who have photoshoot with them alone to allow photos at the table.
    I am not absolutely sure Daniel and Jeremy will allow photos at the table or that the others won't. It's just my assumption based on previous Celebrations.
    I would expect those without photoshoots to allow photos at their table, but of course any guest can refuse photos for what ever reason or no reason what so ever.

Also photoshoot tickets are only photoshoot tickets. If you want autographs you also have to buy autograph tickets.

Hope this helped. :)