main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Autographs

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by wookiesrus, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Yeah, I'd go with pwinklespi here. At CIII, my wife and I stayed together. If it was an autograph she was more interested in, I'd take a picture (most stars are quite accomodating in photos provided time allows) or vice versa. If it was something we both wanted often the handler would take the photo of the star and both of us. We went the first morning at C3. It wasn't too busy and we got all the autographs we were looking for in about 2 hours I would say.

One comment as to the method--for C3 Officialpix had set it up so you could purchase what you wanted ahead of time. They listed all the stars and what their autograph would cost and then you could purchase online tickets for the autographs. I think each ticket was worth $10 (maybe it was $20). For instance, say you were looking for four autographs and the total of all of them came up to $80. You purchase the tickets online and then pick them up at C4 (Officialpix had a booth expressly for this purpose at C3). If it was $10 a ticket you would get 8 tickets. When you get to the autographs you give however many tickets required for the signature. Say David Prowse was $40, you give him four tickets. They do the same for pictures as well. It worked quite well IMO, especially since you didn't have to carry around a wad of cash. ;)

2. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    There is also something a little more special about handing someone a ticket as oppose to money. It doesn't cheapen the moment. Like

"Hi nice to meet you, thanks for being a fan, now give me $30.00"

I actually had a kind of embarrarsing moment at the Empire Fan Fest in 2004. I met Ken Colley. I always liked him in the movies. I was kind of nrvous to go and see him because I didn't know anything else he had done besides the 2 Star Wars movies. Well, he was talking to himself the whole time and it kind of freaked me out. So I go over to talk and he was nice, kind of quiet. I was looking at his pictures and they weren't very good. They were all distorted and just not good. I had him sign one and his handwriting was aweful. I was like, "OK, this sucks." Well there wasn't a sign or anything on his table saying how much autographs were and I thought, since he was such a small character that they were free. As I started to walk away, he yell "hey that's $20." It was like in The Phantom Menace when that creature yells at Jar Jar "That's $20 wuppies." or whatever he said. So I played it off like, yeah I know. I looked for a couple more seconds, got a picture with him and left. So weird. I just figured, hey, these people are in Star Wars, it was 30 years ago. Why are they charging for autographs. HAHAHA!

3. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    I would guess that for a lot of them it is still there biggest source of income, working the conventions and all that. If they don't mind then I don't...but if they seem bitter about it then why do conventions at all?

4. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    You should have given him is autograph back. HA!

5. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    Well, now I understand a little better how star wars signers work. Convention, Official pix, things like that. Back then I figured, why spend $20.00 for Ken Colleys auto. It's like spending $20.00 for Grumpys auto.

6. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    I'd pay $100 for Grumpy's autograph...

7. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    If I'm shelling out $100 for one autograph, it better be Hamill or Ford ;)

8. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    I'll have to set up a booth. I'm not signing any body parts, Pwinkie... sorry. =(

9. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    Crap!

10. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    About 10 years ago I was lucky enough to get Hammill's autograph for free. He signed a picture I brought and the ticket stub for the convention. Hands down, that's my favorite autograph!

11. Darth_Tofu

Darth_Tofu Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    so out of curiosity.. how many people bought an extra autograph ticket for scrapbooking purposes? :D

One thing I know I"m definitely doing again in the autograph hall: bring something that's at least 8x10 and hard so you can put your autographs in it so they wont get bent. I was SO happy I rememebered to grab a folder with a magazine and papers in it. Also, if you're bringing something to autogrpah (which I did as well as purchase pictures) it's nice to keep those flat too.

12. Danpa_Wamem

Danpa_Wamem Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2005
    I only have 1 Star Wars autograph and it's of Peter Mayhew ... he was signing at a small comic convention in TX and I think it cost about $10 if he signed something you had or $15 to sign a 8x10 he had on hand. Either way he was nice and talked quite a bit to me while I was there.

I have not been to any of the Star Wars Celebrations (I am planning on going to CIV) but I have a book from CII and on page 54 it says the prices were $15/coupon or $120 for 10 coupons.
    It also mentions on the same page:

"You'll be able to meet your favorite celebrities and in exchange for each coupon receive one autograph. That signature could be on one of the exclusive free photos provided for the autographs by C2 Ventures ... one coupon equals one autograph."

I wish it would be this way for CIV ... free photos, that way you don't have to carry anything extra.

13. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    My wife and I have Darth Vader messenger bags that we will be bringing with us to keep all of our Official Pix photos in it. We use leather hardcover presentation portfolios (like the ones you can buy at Staples) to protect/keep flat the Pix photos. The messenger bags work great because they hang by your side over your shoulder and allow for quick access to the photos & markers. And the photos stay in mint condition.

14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    The only person I really want to see is Ewan, but I know that's gonna be about as big a stretch as getting Harrison to go sign. :(

15. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    I wouldn't be completely surprised if either/both of them were there. However, I'd be totally shocked if they signed!!

16. Capt-SithPaark

Capt-SithPaark Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 24, 2004
    If either of the two (Harrison or Ewan) sign - I'll eat my hat, and that's if they even plan on going .... which I doubt to the highest degree

17. Joerhyno

Joerhyno Jedi Youngling

Oct 11, 2006
    I have a handful of autographs.. but my favs are the pictures I have with actors, I'll have to dig them all out from various cons, here's one from C1 I got of Anthony Daniels,he stopped by one of the many lines and was talking to the fans, so I called his name and snapped a pic and then the next year I saw him at a comic con, so I took the photo and had him sign it.. he was real cool and we talked for a good 10 mins about C1 and it's muddiness, lol:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/JoeRhyno/Star%20Wars/3P0.jpg]

Oh, here's 2 others of me and the wifey from CIII:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/JoeRhyno/Star%20Wars/CC3015.jpg]
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/JoeRhyno/Star%20Wars/C3_Kit_Sae_J_M.jpg]

We were limited on funds.. so we each picked an actor(but with the one, we got a two for one deal on the Jensen Bros.) :D

18. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    In my "perfect, wishful-thinking" C4 world, my wife and I get the following autos:

Ford
    Hamill
    Fisher
    Prowse
    Mayhew
    Daniels
    Baker

[face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying]

19. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Oh, the Jensens... the stories from C-III... just wild guys! :)

20. Shivann_D

Shivann_D Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 28, 2006
    Well Jedi...I was fortunate to get one of your fab seven...David Prowse. he came here to Richmond back when they were promoting the red backed Power figs. I got 2 of those signed with his signature as well as the Photomosaic that they did of Darth Vader. I am actually getting ready to sell one of the figs as well as 90% of my Star Wars stuff for CIV monies. Need that spending cash for all the stuff I am going to get at CIV.

21. Bail-Aquino

Bail-Aquino Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2002
    You know, I was daydreaming the other day (as I usually do!) and thought how great it would've been to have a Darth Vader Picture autographed by:

Jake Lloyd, Hayden Christensen, David Prowse, James Earl Jones and Sebastian Shaw! [face_hypnotized]

That would be one precious commodity right there!!!

But never mind my daydreams... lol!

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread!

22. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    I thought I heard of someone who had a helmet signed by all them... but isn't Shaw dead now?

23. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    Shaw died. I think a few years ago.

24. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Just thought I'd let everyone know that I talked to Anne N. from OfficialPix today -- she is helping decorate the Star Wars floats. She said that they will need a lot of volunteers for C-IV, as there are three tiers of signers (the bigger names will only be signing for a certain number of hours per day, for example). The hall they have been assigned is about the same size as the one at C-III, so that's good. They will be handling the signings the same way -- buy tickets, get autographs.

She also mentioned that there will be tiered "goodies" for the volunteers -- you work one shift, you get x number of photos; more shifts, the "volunteer" pin plus photos; even more shifts, pin plus photos plus volunteer souvenir t-shirt.

She will be posting the call for volunteers and info about signing up in late April/early May.

She also said, just FYI, that they will not be at Celebration Europe. They only have the U.S. "rights."

25. Lufta Shif

Lufta Shif Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2000
    Three tiers! Whoa! This might be a clue that we are getting some major super stars. At C3 there was two tiers, if I remember correctly: one on the left with "minor" stars (no formal lines, etc.) and one "major" star area on the right with line corrals and more formal crowd control.

Perhaps the the third tier will be some SW super-stars. Hmmm, the only problem is the mention of the same size room as last time. I know the lines for Carrie, Mark, etc. would easily fill the entire room!

Lufta

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.