main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Autographs

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by wookiesrus, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    That is not an improvement, I worked the required 2 shifts last time and got all three, pin, T-Shirt and photos...

2. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Yes, I got the impression that they will not be as generous as last time, for everyone. I think it has a lot to do with the fact they are going to need a lot more volunteers.

3. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    I have been thinking about possibly volunteering, but now, I'd rather not. I can't stand there for hours upon hours just to get a signed photo. There are other things I could be doing and seeing with my wife in LA.

4. JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY

JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2003
    Not too many I don't have. So will be checkingout other parts of C4 instead of autographs this time.

5. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    Speaking of autographs. Has anyone seen what Official Pix is charging for Ian McDiarmids auto????? Ridiculous! It's between $269.99 and $229.99. MAYBE oer $200.00 for Harrison Ford. I'd get killed by my wife, but Ian, the Emporor, Darth Sidious. Get over your self.

6. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    Does he sign that often? Maybe it's because of the number of autos they have for him.

7. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    No, Official Pix does thi sall the time. tey will put out an auto and say something like "Limited to only 100, blah blah blah" and then a month later they will have more come out. It's still way too much for him.

8. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    $200? :eek:

If I was not traveling with my son I will be helping.

Mark Hamill is going to be there?

9. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    I don't think anyone knows for sure who's going to be there but there does seem to be a buzz about it since this is going to be the 30th anniversary and all. I guess we'll know shortly.

10. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    I think he will show. If he doesn't, I think it would be pathetic.

Now that Indy IV is filming in 2007, we MIGHT see George and Harrison. If they are filming somewhere in India or Germany than I guess not.

11. buggyvirus1

buggyvirus1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2005
    After someone stealing all my auto at C3 (which was crazy because they were signed to me) I have plans to get everyone I lost again. So hopefully Warwick will be there and Mayhew and Kenny will be there. Hopefully their prices won't go up because 200 is crazy. Of course if someone really wants it then more power to them.

12. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Heck, you can write to those people through the mail and get them for free.

13. MotherPalpatine

MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    I worked for OfficialPix at ComicCon this past year and got to meet David Prowse. He even signed my cats Darth Vader costume (really a small dog costume but it fits the cat) which I thought was wonderful. Very nice man and I would really like the chance to meet him again.

In 2004 at ComicCon I met Carrie Fisher for the first time when we did security for her while she signed autographs. At the end of the day she gave me a stuffed cat but it was never signed. Maybe this year.

14. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    Alot of newer Star Wars celebrities have websites where you can order autographs off of. I have a lot already. Official Pix is having a 25% off select autos sale right now. If Christmas hadn't just past, I would buy some more. Actually, I probably don't have any more room on my walls.

They should have had this sale in Dec.

15. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I got most of my autographs from Official Pix/Celebrations 2 & 3. When I volunteered for them at ComicCon 2004, I got Mark Hamill for free and Carrie signed my slave Leia stand-up, all without having to wait in line! Most recently, I got Hayden Christensen and Samuel L. Jackson from them as well. Prior to that, I was able to get others from reliable sources on ebay: Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Alec Guinness, Peter Cushing, Shelagh Fraser, Ian McDiarmid, among others (my real goal is to get Ahmed Best's, I hear he's hard to get due to all the Jar Jar bashing). Here's one of my favorite moments from C3, getting Orli Shoshan's (Shaak Ti) autograph:

[image=http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/JedHead1/Star%20Wars/MattOrli.jpg]

=P~

Also let me say another positive thing about Official Pix: they were the only organized part of C3, IMO!

16. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Official Pix is also having a sale (not sure for how long) on their Collection Protection products (binders and page protectors).

So if you are in the market for a protective binder/sheets for your current and/or upcoming C4 autographs, check it out.

Here is the link: http://www.officialpix.com/estore/products.asp?cat=63

17. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006

18. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004

19. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    In my experience in buying SW autographs on ebay, I try to do my homework. For example, I check their feedback, and check their starting bid price. If it's too low, it's probably fake. Nowadays, anyone can make a COA for an autograph. For some of these, there was a photo of the person signing it included. For my Ian McDiarmid, it was signed outside his theater in England. I also check the seller's other auctions (both before mine and after mine) to see if they were selling the same autograph using the same included photo, or selling more than one of the same autograph. That way, you know if it's a scam.

If they usually don't say in the auction where they obatined it, I ask them where they got it and when. If they can't (or don't) answer, well, you know. Also, ask for their guarantee and return policy, and if you can do a background check on them (I didn't, but if they're fakers, theyll freak out!). I'll also sometimes see a real signature on the web (usually for a charity auction), save it, and compare it to others on ebay. In the case of Star Wars, I've gotten them personally from official sources (Official Pix) and I know how they really sign their names. In the case of Carrie Fisher, for example, there are A LOT of fakers out there, trying to connect the last "E" with the first "F" like she does, and you can totally tell the fakes. Natalie Portman's another big target of fakers too. On the other hand, signers like Hayden, Ewan, Harrison (and even George Lucas) are harder to spot, since they sign with a first initial and/or just a scribble.

Some of the SW signers have said they'll only sign SW stuff for charities, like Liam and Natalie, and that helps. But in my case, my Natalie was signed as she was leaving the David Letterman show.

Besides Official Pix, the only other place to get genuine SW autographs is Wattographs. Stick with these two, and you should be OK. But most of all, use common sense and follow your gut. If you see something that makes you feel suspicious, it probably is. You can also check the FBI's list of fraudulent sellers.

Hope this helps. :D

20. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Unless it's on an offical TOPPS autograph card, about 100 percent of all SW autos on Ebay are fakes. It's best just to order autographs from individual actor websites like Jeremy Bulloch, or David Prowse. Official Pix autos are 100 percent real, so, order from there.

21. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Yes, I'd never buy autographs on eBay anymore, unless the seller has included a picture of him holding the item with the signee standing "right there."

Luckily I have some items bought from charitable venues (one of my autographed Visual Dictionary books was auctioned off by a Scottish children's hospital, so I know it is genuine; Ewan McGregor signed it, adding "Och! The Force!" (even spoke to the auction director, who called me from Scotland). Also have a EP II t-shirt signed by John Dkystra and the rest of the FX boys which was part of the Auction for America that eBay did a few years back. Then there are the chance autographs I purchased "before they were famous," as it were -- have a Liam Neeson photo from Schindler's List, a Kiera Knightly-signed CCG card from EP I (the guy I bought it from caught her at a premiere in the UK; who knew that her career would take off, then). There's also the lucky part about living in SoCal -- that's how I got my Phil Brown; he was at a signing event about a year or so before he passed away. Then there's all the OfficialPix ones that I got for my many hours of working for them, that sort of thing. I use those to eyeball everything else.

With Watto and OfficialPix getting all and sundry to sign, and the convention venues, it's just not necessary to buy anything sight unseen anymore, IMO.

22. Lufta Shif

Lufta Shif Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2000
    I'll second that! The Official Pix room was very organized and well run! I am glad they are onboard for C4!

:D [off topic]Nice to see you again JedHead! I met you in the lobby of the Marriott Courtyard at C3. [/off topic] :D

Lufta Shif

23. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999

Really? Remind me. And you were....

24. Lufta Shif

Lufta Shif Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2000
    A bunch of us were sitting in the lobby one night. We all talked until the wee hours of the morning. Some lady from one of vendors showed us a sneak preview of all of the bonus videos from the ROTS soundtrack. We all exchanged emails. Back in 2005 you and I exchanged a PM or two on these boards. I then emailed you with travel tips about a trip to the Redwoods/Endor you were thinking about. :)

Lufta Shif

25. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Ohhh! *waves* Hi, Lufta Shif!

[off topic] Some of us still want to make that trip up to "Endor", but these big events keep coming up! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.