main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Avatar] Better Than Me -- Zuko, Katara, missing scene

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Idrelle_Miocovani, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Title: Better Than Me
    Author: Idrelle_Miocovani
    Timeframe: immediately following The Southern Raiders.
    Genre: drama, angst, missing scene, vignette
    Characters: Zuko, Katara
    Summary: Sometimes forgiveness is a difficult thing to accept when you can?t forgive yourself.
    Notes: This is my first foray into Avatar fanfiction. I have other projects that I need to be working on, but this bunny was just begging to be written ever since I saw the episode The Southern Raiders. Zuko has always been on of my top favourite Avatar characters; his confusion and the darkness that surrounds his character are fascinating. I thought the idea of forgiveness that was so evident in this chapter of the story presented some interesting problems for Zuko. So, I wrote this ?missing scene? more or less as an attempt to try to get a better grasp on his character and the show some of his confusion and inner conflicts. I hope that comes out in the right way, I?m still a little new to the show (though I have seen all the episodes :p ). Enjoy!

**And this is unbetaed. Apologies for any random typos.

[blockquote][color=darkblue][b]Better Than Me[/b][/color][/blockquote]

[i]I am ready to forgive you.[/i]

Those were her words to me, spoken several hours ago as the sun set. Perhaps in the past few days I showed Katara something that enables her to no longer bitterly accept my presence here. Perhaps in the past few days my actions have convinced her that I [i]have[/i] changed and that I am needed in this group whose duty is to help the Avatar.

There is one thing that I am unsure of tonight.

I do not know where I stand.

Katara has proven that she is stronger than I can ever be. I set out with her to find the Southern Raiders because I honestly believed that she needed closure. She needed justice. How many years has her anger against the Fire Nation been burning inside her? Too many to count. By taking her on this journey to find her mother?s killer, I thought I was doing her good, finally allowing her a chance to heal old wounds.

Now, I?m not so sure.

The waves lap gently against the shore of Ember Island. Not far from where I sit is the spot where Azula, Ty Lee, Mai and I once built a fire and revealed our deepest feelings to each other. It seems like lifetimes ago.

[i]Mai? [/i]

I stand, swiftly picking up a nearby rock and throwing it as far as I can. My eyes try to follow it as its path forms an arc through the air and hits the surface of the water, sinking beneath the rolling waves. I can barely see it through the dark of the night.

I can remember the words I left her as clearly as if I were composing the letter this moment. How much did I hurt her when I left? I am afraid to know the answer. Leaving Mai that message, knowing that I was betraying her was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, even harder than facing my own father. Yet, she must have overcome that feeling of betrayal somehow. She turned her back on my sister in order to protect me, sacrificing her freedom so my friends ? Mai?s own enemies ? and I could escape.

I stoop to pick up a second rock and hurl it into the waves.

?I?m guessing that throwing rocks isn?t helping,? a light voice says behind me.

It?s Katara. I turn to see her sitting quietly on a rock, hands folded in her lap. I shrug sheepishly.

?No.? I pause. I can?t help but wonder why she is here. ?What do you want??

She purses her lips together before speaking again. ?I wanted to talk to you,? she says. There is caution in her voice; it?s almost as if she doesn?t quite know how to speak to me without sounding bitter.

I pick up another stone and roll it back and forth between my hands absentmindedly. ?Why??

When I look across at her, I can see that her eyes have hardened. She looks frustrated.

?Zuko,? she says firmly, ?I meant what I said when I told you that I was ready to forgive you.?

She doesn?t need to tell me again. Her actions and her words have proven that already.

?I k

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This is beautiful!! I feel to bad for Zuko, but glad that he's chosen the right path.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    That was so good!! You nailed Zuko and his emotions perfectly! [:D]

*huggles ZuZu*

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Nat: Zuko's probably my favourite character from Avatar, just because he's so conflicted. I feel like he really is more of an anti-hero than a hero. I thought the episode The Southern Raiders offered some interesting views on what he thought was "right" within the contexts of being "good", and then the Muse took that idea and ran with it, resulting in... this. :p

I just LOVE conflicted characters who were "bad" once, but are now "good" -- though bad and good are only what they are from a certain point of view. ;)

Miana: [:D] Aww, I'm glad you liked it so much! I was hoping that I would nail Zuko. :D Yeah, poor ZuZu needs a hug now and then. [face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.