main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Avatar:The Last Airbender] The Way of the Sword (Zuko and Piandao 2023 Summer Olympics Pentathlon)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by devilinthedetails , May 31, 2023.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Title: The Way of the Sword

Author: devilinthedetails

Fandom: Avatar The Last Airbender

Genre: A variety of genres.

Characters: Zuko; Piandao.

Summary: A compilation of stories written for my 2023 Summer Olympics Zuko and Piandao Pentathlon.

Index of Entries:

The Test: 110 Word Hurdle. Zuko; Piandao. General; Drama. Post #2.

Bamboo and Red Maple. Judo. Zuko; Piandao. General; Friendship; Philosophical. Post #5.

The Virtue of Shu Jing: Tennis Match. Zuko; Piandao. General; Dialogue Only; Drama; Humor; Friendship. Post #10.

Snippets of Swordsmanship Lessons: Rhythmic Gymnastics. Zuko; Piandao. General; Action/Adventure; Friendship. Post #15.

A Scheme and a Wicked Sense of Humor: 400 Word Cross Country. Zuko; Piandao. General; Friendship; Humor. Post #19.

Pentathlon completed on 6/24/2023. Thread always open for reading and comments@};-

Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
  2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Title: The Test

Genre: General; Drama.

Event: 110 Word Hurdle

Summary: Piandao tests Zuko’s motives.

The Test (110 Word Hurdle)

“Why–” Master Piandao’s question sliced through the air like the swords he was master and maker of as Zuko knelt before him– “should I accept you as my pupil? Because your father is Fire Lord?”

Zuko kept his head lowered. If there was anything his father had taught him, it was that abasement. “My father thinks I’m weak because I’ll never be a great firebender like my sister. My uncle believes it’ll make me stronger and wiser to learn how to fight like a non-bender.”

“Your uncle–” Zuko heard the crack of a smile in Master Piandao’s tone – “is a wise man, and you are wise to listen to him.”

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Fabulous as Zuko embarks on a way to forge a path despite his father's criticism ... having someone believe in you is essential and he has that in his Uncle, someone who encourages you to strive. @};-

4. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Despite only appearing in a handful of episodes, Piandao is still one of my favorite characters from Avatar: the Last Airbender. His questions here sound very much like the interrogations Sokka had to pass in order to be trained.

5. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha As always, thank you so much for being such a loyal reader and reviewer of all my Avatar: The Last Airbender stories! [:D] It is difficult for Zuko to forge a path despite his father's cruel criticism, but he is determined to do so, and his uncle Iroh and new master Piandao will be able to help him do so. Having someone believe in you is absolutely essential as you say, and Uncle Iroh is indeed that person who always believes in Zuko. We will also see throughout this pentathlon how Piandao develops into someone who has faith in Zuko and whom in turn Zuko can trust. I picture Piandao as ultimately being a very good influence on Zuko!

@Seldes_Katne Thank you so much for reading and reviewing! Like you, I had my heart stolen by Piandao in just a couple of episodes because he is an awesome character, and it is such a treat for me to be able to focus on him and his relationship with Zuko in this pentathlon[face_dancing] I definitely drew inspiration from his interrogation of Sokka for this piece since I head canon Piandao as someone who tests all of his students before he agrees to train them. Even if they are the son of the Fire Lord. Or perhaps especially if they are the son of the Fire Lord. For some reason, I can't see Piandao being too respecting of rank for rank's sake!

Title: Bamboo and Red Maple

Genres: General; Friendship; Philosophical.

Event: Judo

Summary: Zuko ponders the relative strengths of bamboo and red maple.

Bamboo and Red Maple (Judo)

“Which–” Master Piandao asked as he and Zuko walked through his extensive gardens at high noon. Pausing beneath the shade of a red maple. “Is stronger? A red maple tree or a bamboo shoot?”

Zuko scowled. Sensing the trick and the trap that always seemed to lurk behind Master Piandao’s questions but uncertain how to avoid it. “The red maple tree is stronger, of course.”

The obvious answer and probably the wrong one, but he didn’t have a better one. Not on such short notice, and short notice was the only kind Master Piandao provided in their lessons that never ended even after the sun set.

The wrong answer, too, apparently. At least in Master Piandao’s opinion. “Yet the red maple tree is often felled by a strong storm. While a single shoot of bamboo will often survive even a hurricane because the bamboo will bend in the wind where a red maple will remain rigid. The bamboo has learned to be supple. Flexible.”

It was on the tip of Zuko’s tongue to snap that bamboo–being brainless–could learn nothing when he realized he needed to show that he could be supple. Flexible as Master Piandao described. Rigidly determined to demonstrate that flexibility and suppleness, he commented, “So, the bamboo is stronger than the red maple.”

An overturning of his initial view. A concession that he was wrong.

“That depends.” Master Piandao grinned crookedly. “On the circumstances. Sometimes suppleness is strength. Other times, rigidity is. A swordsman must learn to be both supple and rigid as the battle and terrain require. That is the way of suppleness and the way of strength. The way of the sword.”

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    a great story about the strength of bamboo. It can bend but will not break

7. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Yup! Trick question. But true....

Good use of the prompt here. Piandao isn't just a swordsman, he's a philosopher and admirer of the arts as well.

I think one of Piandao's most admirable traits is that he has no bending ability at all, and yet is the equal of the elemental masters. (There's a philosophical take, right there.) He's put in the hard work of training and practice, as they have, and is worthy of the same level of respect.

In the meantime, looking forward to more.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb discussion. I admire flexibility and suppleness because it yields and addapts to change as needed. Yet there are times when rigidity/firmness is required ... The knack and hard balance is knowing when which is needed. ;) [face_thinking]

9. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Such good advice! "Walks in both worlds, to quote a certain TV show*

I liked the analogy and the lesson learned, as both sorts of strength have their pluses ... [face_cowboy]

10. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @earlybird-obi-wan Thank you so much for reading and reviewing! I really wanted this piece to be a tribute to bamboo so I'm super happy to hear that you thought this was a great story celebrating the strength of bamboo. Bamboo indeed is very special because it bends but does not break:)

@Seldes_Katne Thanks so much for reading and commenting! I definitely think that Piandao would be a master of posing trick questions to trip up his pupils, so I couldn't resist having him treat Zuko to one here;)

I totally agree that Piandao isn't just a superb swordsman. He is also an insightful philosopher and a deep appreciator of the arts, which is part of why he is a favorite character of mine. There is a lot of depth and complexity to him. There are so many sides of him that can be explored in fanfic like this, which is wonderful for an author like me:D

I also think you are spot on about another one of Piandao's admirable traits being that he has no bending ability, and yet he is equal to elemental masters like Iroh and Pakku. That is very impressive indeed, and part of the reason why I think he makes an excellent mentor for Sokka in the show, and Zuko here (since Zuko doubts the strength of his bending, especially in comparison to his prodigy sister). He has definitely put in the hard work and the training and is abolsolutely deserving of every respect as you say!

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha As always, thank you so much for reading and for the kind words![:D] I'm so delighted that you found this to be a superb discussion. I'm like you in that I have a great admiration for suppleness and flexibility and its ability to adapt and endure. But it was also interesting to acknowledge the value of rigidity and firmness, which might come more naturally to a character like Zuko. And the most important thing is as you note to find that delicate balance between the two and to have the wisdom to recognize when which sort of strength is needed. Which is something that can take a lifetime to learn!

@pronker Thank you so much for reading and reviewing! :cool: Yes, Zuko was lucky indeed to receive some good advice from his uncle Iroh that sent him to Piandao, who also proves to be a wonderful and wise mentor to him. And I'm so glad that you liked the bamboo and maple analogy and that you appreciated the lesson Zuko learned as both types of strength need to be respected and cultivated!

Title: The Virtue of Shu Jing

Genres: General; Dialogue Only; Drama; Humor; Friendship.

Event: Tennis Match

Summary: Zuko questions the virtue of Shu Jing.

Note: Shu Jing is the quiet Fire Nation town in which Piandao makes his home.

The Virtue of Shu Jing (Tennis Match)

“Why Shu Jing, Master?”

“You know I will just turn the question back on you as I always do, my inquisitive pupil. Why not Shu Jing?”

“Because it is in the middle of nowhere.”

“It is not in the middle of nowhere. It is in the center of where we are. At the beating heart of us. It is not in the middle of nowhere unless we are nothing, and we are not nothing.”

“Very well. Because it is small and secluded then.”

“Its seclusion is its strength. Its greatest virtue in my eyes. Its seclusion grants me peace.”

“The best swordsman and bladesmith in Fire Nation history craves peace?”

“To practice his painting and calligraphy. To stroll through his gardens and sip his spiced tea. To read his haikus and dare to write some of his own. Yes, he craves peace for all of that, impatient Zuko.”

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Super tennis match. ;)

I can well imagine Zuko is full of admiration for the adventurous life he believes Piandao leads and is surprised that Piandao enjoys seclusion and such a wide array of artistic hobbies, as well as just relaxing and sipping tea. LOL

12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great lessons from a warrior who likes other hobbies than fighting

13. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    What a well-rounded life he describes, true wisdom here. Lap it up, Zuko![face_love]

14. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    I find it unsurprising that Piandao wants to live somewhere quiet and practice his hobbies, after being involved in swordplay and warfare as a younger man. Plenty of young people think a war will be exciting and glorious and that they will be heroes, but in reality warfare is horrifying and dehumanizing and in many ways, no one really wins, at least not permanently. Art and handiwork and other skills can be passed through generations and gratefully accepted, but war does no one any true favors.

A valuable lesson, well-written.

15. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha As always, thank you so much for reading and for your sweet comments![:D] So glad you enjoyed the Tennis Match, which was a fun event to write for this year! Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head when you say Zuko is filled with admiration for the exciting, adventurous life this great Fire Nation swordsman and warrior has led, so it is truly astonishing for him to discover that Piandao finds so much pleasure in a secluded, peaceful life in a small village where he can pursue his various artistic hobbies and sip his tea. I picture him and Iroh being very much kindred spirits in their love of tea!

@earlybird-obi-wan Thank you so much for reading and commenting! So happy to hear you appreciated the lessons from a warrior who enjoys hobbies more peaceful than fighting:D

@pronker Thank you so much for reading and for the kind words! Yes, Piandao does live a very well-rounded life in terms of having the opportunity to read his haikus, experiment with writing some of his own, and sip his spiced tea! And I think in the long run, Zuko will absorb this wisdom and benefit from it just like you describe[face_love]

@Seldes_Katne Thank you so much for reading and commenting! I think you are right that it is unsurprising after his time on the battlefield as a young man that Piandao would find so much fulfillment in a tranquil village life where he can pursue some of his favorite, peaceful hobbies. It is so true that so many young people (especially in a nation as militaristic as the Fire Nation of this era) imagine war will be exciting and glorious, but Piandao has seen enough violence to understand just how how dehumanizing and horrible it can be. So that is why he finds his art and other skills to be so rewarding. And I'm thrilled that you thought this was a valuable and well-written lesson. I hope you will enjoy the next installment as well:D

Title: Snippets of Swordsmanship Lessons

Genres: General; Action/Adventure; Friendship.

Event: Rhythmic Gymnastics Drabbles.

Summary: Zuko’s lessons in swordsmanship encompass an interesting array of objects.

Snippets of Swordsmanship Lessons (Rhythmic Gymnastics Drabbles)

Dancing Dragon (or Ribbon)

For the New Year, Master Piandao brought Zuko into the center of Shu Jing, which was painfully small in comparison to even the tiniest, most inconsequential square in Caldera City, to watch the crimson-and-gold dragon snake its way through the streets beneath the arms and feet of a hundred dancers as fireworks burst in the midnight sky.

“A sword is a ribbon,” he told Zuko as the slender, fanged creature darted and dashed through the air. Drawing cheers and claps from the adoring crowd. “And you must learn to dance with it the way that dragon dances with the air.”

Scrapes and Burns (or Rope)

Swordsman needed to have strong hands and arms, Master Piandao said. To strengthen Zuko’s hands and arms, Master Piandao assigned him the muscle-aching task of climbing a rope.

The rope scraped Zuko’s fingers raw. Made his palms burn. His shoulders strain. His thighs bleed where they clung to the rope for purchase.

He fell what felt like a thousand times in one hour. Only for Master Piandao to order him to his feet for another attempt. When he finally reached the top, his triumph was quelled by his master’s command that he start climbing the rope without using his legs.

Leaping through Fire (or Hoop)

When the circus came to Shu Jing, Master Piandao bought tickets. A lion was led out by its whip-wielding trainer. Made to jump through blazing hoops.

“That lion is truly fearless,” Master Piandao whispered.

“He’s frightened of the fire.” Zuko couldn’t keep the contempt out of his tone. He did not fear flames. Few of the Fire Nation did. “I can see the terror in his eyes.”

“That’s what makes him fearless.” Master Piandao squeezed Zuko’s shoulder. “To be fearless is not to feel no fear. It is to conquer fear. To subdue it. You must be fearless like that.”

Attaining Balance (or Ball)

“To be a great swordsman requires perfect balance and flawless footwork,” Master Piandao pronounced. “You’ll stand on this ball every day until my hourglass runs out of sand. If you fall from your perch, I’ll flip my hourglass over again, and you’ll restart from the beginning.”

The first time Zuko mounted the ball, it wobbled, and he toppled off almost immediately. The second through a hundred times were barely more successful. When he finally managed to stay on the ball for an hour, his legs were like cooked noodles but his toes had learned to cling like a jungle monkey’s.

The Music of the Fight (or Rhythm)

“A duel is a dance, I have told you that before.” Master Piandao studied Zuko with pursed lips after one of their training bouts. “You must learn to move to the music of that dance. The rhythm of that fight.”

“What rhythm?” Zuko gulped from his waterskin. Seeking to replace the liquid that flowed in salty, sweaty rivulets down his back.

“The rhythm of the breath flowing in and out of your lungs. The drum of your pulse pounding in your ears.” Master Piandao did not need to drink. It was infuriating. “The beat of your heart and your opponent’s.”

16. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I'll bet he did it, too!

Good lesson in fear and conquering it; it sure makes a good prod in accomplishing anything.[face_chicken]

Aw, he's such a good teacher.

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    great lessons from teacher Piandao
    and the flow of the words in the pieces. Great writing

Kahara and devilinthedetails like this.
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Fascinating lessons and skills development.

Kahara and devilinthedetails like this.
  19. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @pronker Thank you so much for reading and reviewing!:D Yes, Zuko did indeed start climbing the rope without using his legs as ordered because he is a very determined and strong-willed character who wants to learn everything Piandao has to teach him no matter how hard it is! Which I think is very Fire Nation of him!

I'm so glad you enjoyed Piandao's lesson in fear and conquering it, and found it insightful! And, yes, I agree Piandao is a good teacher who passed along a lot of wisdom to Zuko[face_love]

@earlybird-obi-wan Thank you so much for reading and for the kind words![:D] I'm so glad that you found Piandao's lessons to be great and flattered that you found the flow of words in these pieces to be great as well since with these shorter pieces I really try to focus on and hone every word[face_blush]

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you so much for reading and reviewing all my Avatar stories! :cool: I'm so glad that you found these lessons and Zuko's skill development so fascinating! I hope this conclusion will be satisfying and show just how much Zuko has grown because of Piandao's instructions@};-

Title: A Scheme and a Wicked Sense of Humor

Genres: General; Friendship; Humor.

Event: 400 Word Cross Country.

Summary: Zuko has a scheme and Piandao has a wicked sense of humor.

A Scheme and a Wicked Sense of Humor (400 Word Cross Country)

“I have concocted a scheme,” Zuko explained as he and Piandao sat at a low table in Piandao’s Shu Jing manor. Zuko nursing a glass of rice wine. Piandao savoring a cup of spiced tea. “ A bold venture. And I wish you to be involved in it.”

“Oh?” Piandao arched an eloquent eyebrow.

“The Avatar learns how to maintain peace and balance in the world by living among each of the Four Nations and studying their ways.” Zuko warmed to his theme as he prepared to make his request. “I thought it would be beneficial if children from all the Nations could have the same opportunity to learn from different cultures through an exchange program. Will you agree to be a master for such a program? To train pupils from all over the world in the ways of the sword as only you can? To educate them as you did me? To pass along your wisdom and demonstrate what is best in the Fire Nation? Our virtues and our pride.”

“The ways of the sword do not belong to the people of any one Nation, but to the peoples of all the Nation.” Piandao set his teacup on his saucer with a clink.

“You will do it then?” Zuko couldn’t resist pressing for an agreement from his former swordsmaster no matter how dangerous that could prove to be. After all, there had been many times when he had, in his arrogance, believed he was on the cusp of a glorious victory over Piandao only to suffer an ignoble defeat that ruthlessly cut him back down to size.

“I will.” Piandao bowed to Zuko. The first time he had offered such a gesture to Zuko. A disconcerting milestone in their relationship as mentor and student. Firelord and swordsmaster. “Though I must say that I suspect I will never have a pupil quite like you again.”

“I don’t know whether that is a compliment or an insult.” Zuko’s lips quirked.

The sparkle in Piandao’s eyes suggested that he wasn’t meant to know. Piandao had always possessed a strange and wicked sense of humor. An irony as sharply honed as the blades he forged. A trait that could charm as much as it exasperated. Zuko had discovered that in a thousand duels and training exercises.

Thinking of what his uncle would remark if present, Zuko added wryly, “I’m not easy on my teachers.”

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    An excellent 'scheme' Zuko comes up with and I'm not surprised Piandao approves. He does like to tease his former pupil I see. ;)

A very fine wrap up to a great pentathlon. =D=

21. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Sorry I am to see the end of this pentathlon, but also happy that a favorite character got the attention he deserves. Very much enjoyed this set of stories (it's now on my short list of "Favorite NSWFF Canon Character" for next year's Favorites of Fanfiction awards) (Maybe the mods could consider a "write a story about your favorite minor character" challenge at some point and give some of these background characters some love.)

Piandoa's dry sense of humor, unorthodox teaching methods and love of the arts was well represented here. He's the kind of person you want to teach your teen not only the most obvious lessons, but also some subtle life lessons as well. Reminds me of some of the Buddhist and Christian parables, where the point of story requires some thought and experience before it's revealed.

Great pentathlon! Well done!

devilinthedetails likes this.
  22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love how you concluded your pentathlon with Zuko coming up with a scheme and Piandao with that remark about a pupil like Zuko
    Congrats on finishing this likable story

devilinthedetails likes this.
  23. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    *wild applause too great for a smiley*

Self-knowledge, way to go, Zuko!

24. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you so much for reading and commenting throughout this pentathlon:D

Yes, Zuko came up with an excellent "scheme", and I'm so thrilled that Piandao agreed to be an important part of it;)

And I agree that it is not surprising that Piandao approved of the "scheme" since he was so open-minded about teaching Sokka the way of the sword even though he sensed all along that Sokka was a member of the Water Tribe, not the Fire Nation, and being a member of the White Lotus, I think Piandao would have an international perspective about things. So Zuko's "scheme" would be right in line with Piandao's values. And I expect that Piandao is proud of Zuko for coming up with such a "scheme" because it shows how much Zuko has grown!

But still Piandao can't resist teasing his former pupil, because it is one of his great joys in life[face_laugh]

I'm so glad that you found this a great way to wrap up the pentathlon, and thank you again for the kind words![:D]

@Seldes_Katne Thank you so much for reading and commenting on my Piandao pentathlon[:D]

It was nice to be able to shine a spotlight on one of my favorite minor characters from the Avatar series, and I always like to think that the Olympics can provide a great chance for myself and others to explore some of our favorite minor characters in depth:)

It was truly a pleasure for me to write this set of stories, and I'm so flattered that it's been added to your shortlist of "Favorite NSWFF Canon Character" for next year's Favorites of Fanfic awards! What a compliment[face_blush]

One of my favorite things about Piandao is how many different facets there are to his character in terms of his dry humor, unconventional teaching methods, and love of the arts. So it means the world to me to hear that you felt all those various components of his personality were on display in this series!

And I absolutely agree that Piandao is exactly the kind of person you want teaching your teen[face_love]

@earlybird-obi-wan Thank you so much for reading and commenting!:D I'm so glad that you loved the ending of Zuko devising his scheme and Piandao teasing him with that remark about a student like Zuko! I really wanted to try to make the story feel like it had come full circle in a sense in that way, and thanks for the congratulations on completing the pentathlon. All the support I got along the way really helped keep me motivated! @};-

@pronker Thank you so much for reading and reviewing my Piandao pentathlon!:D I'm so glad that exchange program idea got wild applause from you! I must admit that I have written so many Avatar fanfics involving the idea that it has basically reached head canon status for me;) and I'm so glad you appreciated Zuko's display of self-knowledge at the end! I really wanted to showcase how much Zuko had grown throughout the course of this pentathlon, and what better way to do that than a bit of self-knowledge on Zuko's part about how hard he could be on his teachers[face_idea]