main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Avoiding conflict? I don't think so!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Saint_of_Killers, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Vaderbait, maybe you should go and see what slash means before making snap judgements, ok? Furthermore, i don't see whats wrong with teenage girls writing romance stories. I don't see your point.

I've read the "definition" that pretties up "slash". Slash is a negative word, so I'm going to continue believing it has negative connotations.

Anyways, you never do see my point, you lack common sense.

2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Don't make statements like that when someone's opinion differs from yours. Thanks.

3. Bithysith

Bithysith Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 6, 2000
    slash (conj. Informal): As well as; and. Used in combination and often rendered as a virgule in print: an actor-slash-writer; a waiter/dancer.

It's too bad that you think the word has only negative connotations. It plainly has multiple definitions. Is there any other word for the " / " (ASCII 0101111) symbol?

EDIT: Hola, Goldie! :)

4. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    Slash isn't a negative word, it's the name of a great guitarrist, formerly of Guns 'n Roses.

I can't believe how narrow minded and simplistic some people on this message board can be :)

5. Goldberry

Goldberry Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2001
    *Shakes head* Honestly - slash fiction has nothing to do with violence. I think you may be confusing it with "slasher flicks," which are a completely different thing. I can't stand violence, but I love slash fiction. "Slash" in the way it's used when describing fanfiction has absolutely nothing to do with violence, or with how explicit the material is. Just because you've picked up on some negative connotations that it has in other mediums doesn't mean that those are the only connotations the word can have.

6. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    deviant adj. Differing from a norm or from the accepted standards of a society.

It goes both ways you know. You've obviously decided to abandon true definitions of words in favor of those you approve of.

7. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Do we really need to continue arguing semantics here?

8. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Do we really need to continue arguing semantics here?

I think it's important when a banning or warning is at stake to get things settled.

9. wadda_u_know

wadda_u_know Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2000
    deviant adj. Differing from a norm or from the accepted standards of a society.

If you're talked about when I used that word, I'm sorry if I offended you, but the above definition is exactly what I meant.

10. Bithysith

Oct 6, 2000
    *sigh* I wasn't saying that was the only or "true" definition of the term slash, just that in this particular case is has nothing to do with violence. The origin of the word itself is from the French term, "to splinter or seperate", which is exactly what the " / " does. There is no other term for that character, whereas the word "alternative" could have been used instead of "deviant" (which is easily interpreted as an insult).

This is all beside the point, though... I don't see how PG SSRs should be in anyway connected to violent or "deviant" behavior.

11. Bithysith

Oct 6, 2000
    wadda, the tired "deviant" debate is in reference to a post made by Porkins in a Speedo much earlier in the thread.

12. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Ok, everyone answer this question. If someone came up to you and said your sexuality is deviant, would you be offended?

My answer? Yes, i would be offended.

13. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Is that the issue here, KaineDamo?

14. OrgulloDelPuma

OrgulloDelPuma Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2003
    But do you have the backbone to take it, realizing that not everyone is going to agree with your point of view?

It seems rather peculiar that the person who affirmed the JC's position on this(Josh) has yet to join the discussion, thus allowing this endless bickering to continue.

I will however, let you all in on a little secret...

Come closer...

A little closer...

NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE.

How many times in the history of this place, have changes been made in favor of a small, select few individuals who feel their rights are being violated? Policy has never been dictated by the users, nor will it ever seem likely to change. Most of you should know this by now.

It's not going to happen. My suggestion:

Go start your own exclusive Fan Fiction site. When you are the boss, YOU make the rules. Your rights are defined by YOU. Go out there and do it, I emplore you. I have faith that you will make it through another day without posting your stories, which you invested so much of your valuable time and resources to author, here on these message boards.

It's amazing that while most of you, who are fighting this, preach the importance of this being a "family" forum, you seem so content on unmaking it so while advocating these so-called "rights" to post your sexually-themed stories. The hipocricy here is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

15. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    You know, i'm reading your post, and all i see is... "take your homo stories somewhere else! not in my neighbourhood!"

16. OrgulloDelPuma

OrgulloDelPuma Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2003
    No actually I'm not. I could really care less if people want to write about sexual relationships, whether they be from either side of the spectrum. I've read some interesting explicitly erotic fan fic on other sites/board, and I usually get a good kick out of them.

The point I'm trying to make, and that nobody seems to get, is that the decision has already been made, and in all likelihood, it won't be changed.

Furthermore, I take offense to your personal attack by insinuating that I am homophobic. My argument has nothing to do with homosexuality. It has everything to do with policy, and the futile attempt by members to dictate it.

17. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Okay, things are just going over the same ground here yet again.

The decision as it stands for the moment is up there for everyone to see. You can disagree with it as is your right, and talk to Josh and the staff if you so wish, but for the moment, this is how things stand right now.

Since things will keep going around in circles, and only heat up further, I'm going to lock this thread up for now. If you do wish to talk to me about this issue, please PM me. :)

18. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    I apologise. It was not meant as a personal offense, i was simply showing you how your post could be interpreted, and its what others have basically said here.

If there is even the smallest chance of getting this decision overturned, then I, and others at this board, will fight for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.