main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Saga Awaken the Sleeper - an Obi-Wan and Vader vignette, ROTJ

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Awaken the Sleeper
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Timeframe: ROTJ era
    Characters: Lord Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Summary: Sometimes those who love us do not ever give up, no matter how much we wish they would. And a father?s love is stronger than any other Force in the galaxy, even hate.
    Notes: What if Luke alone was not responsible for Vader?s redemption? Also, the title for this comes from the book Dune by Frank Herbert.

Awaken the Sleeper

Anakin, the familiar voice said. Wake up, Anakin. It?s time to wake up.

Lord Vader came awake with a start, his old Master?s voice still echoing in his mind. He shook his head and the pod in which he slept came to life, lights blinking and the hiss of opening seals marring the quiet of his chamber.

It is time to wake up, Anakin. There was an edge to the voice this time, one he remembered well from the days he had been the Padawan of a certain self-righteous Jedi Master.

I am awake already, old man. Lord Vader said to himself. And today I will waken my son and show him the truth. He sensed that today he would face his son again.

There was a chuckle from the ether to which he had sent Obi-Wan. You may try, my apprentice. You may try.

The superior tone of the voice infuriated the Sith but he had no way to strike back. Master Kenobi was already dead. At long last he was far beyond the reach of even the greatest Sith Lord to ever roam the galaxy.

Vader motioned for the pod to open and came to his feet. The helmet slipped over his skull and the various components of armor were fastened into place quickly. The oxygen rich atmosphere of his quarters adjusted as the sensors registered that Lord Vader was safely ensconced in his protective armor.

The Sith Lord knew that today would be a momentous day. Something in the Force stirred and whispered that truth to him. Someone in the Force, perhaps? It was more than the coming meeting with his son, but the vision of it eluded him.

He?s coming to you today. Obi-Wan?s cultured voice informed him, an odd note of glee in those soft tones.

And you think he?ll kill me? Vader asked without surprise. It was obvious what Luke had been saved for, why he had been hidden away. He was intended to bring back the Jedi and slay the Sith, his father.

There was a moment of silence and then a resigned sigh. No, I do not think he could. Vader sensed a stirring the currents of the Force that always surrounded him. He thinks there is good in you, just as Padme did. Obi-Wan sounded puzzled by that notion.

She said that? He did not say her name. He never said her name. He had not spoken it since the day he had woken up in this ebony prison.

Vader wanted both to hold his breath and to scream at the same time. He wanted Obi-Wan to stand before him so that he could shake him until the truth was rattled loose and spilled before him. Wild desperate hope, a feeling he had long ago forgotten, rose up within him. It was a fire that warmed, a sensation that was part of a past so distant he could not remember the last time he had felt it. Just to feel warm seemed a mercy that was far beyond his grasp.

There was a slight movement behind him, almost out of the line of his sight, but not quite. It was a tantalizing glimpse of?something.

She told me that there was still good in you. The voice seemed to be coming from all directions now, filling him up and surrounding him at the same time.

But then Vader remembered his wife lying so still and motionless. She had surely said those words before?before he had betrayed their love in the worst possible way.

She said those words as she lay dying; her last thoughts were of you, Anakin.

Vader?s black gloves clenched at his sides. His child, his son, Luke had been taken from his beloved Padme. His small body had been curled up defenseless within her when his own father had reached out so casually with the Force and ?

No.

His thoughts stopped there.

She

2. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Awesome. Can't say more, have to run out the door to get to a piano lesson. But a wonderful fic, I loved it.

3. Gina

Gina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    I love the idea that Obi-Wan commuicated with Vader, and this conversation really got at the heart of so many issues between them.

Vader wanted both to hold his breath and to scream at the same time. He wanted Obi-Wan to stand before him so that he could shake him until the truth was rattled loose and spilled before him.

I can see this inability to be in "control" infuriating Vader. He is one of the most feared men in the galaxy, but he cannot control his former Master.

And yet she left me to face my demons alone.

I just wanted to reach out and shake some sense into him here!

He merely loves the idea of having a father. Vader felt compelled to argue the point, though why he bothered he could not say. It is common enough among fatherless boys. An old bitterness reared up and snapped its jaws.

Why could you never believe that you were worthy of love, my Padawan?

Because I have seen inside myself and I know what lurks there, Master.

Again, they are dealing with painful wounds.

Even through the armor, Vader felt the weight of a warm and familiar hand on his shoulder. It was exactly where it had rested so many times before, a reassuring presence that had always simply been there. It had consoled and congratulated, no matter the circumstance. The Sith Lord closed his eyes as he felt the hand that had trained him so carefully such a long time ago.

Master. The word came out on a sigh. It was a sound of surrender and longing and regret.

:_| :_|

Masterfully written as always, K! :)

4. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Great job! Oh I loved their talk! And Vader slipping and calling him Master ;) 'out of habit' ahhh and he lies still 'out of habit' [face_laugh] I liked that bit! The old humor slipping in there as well! ;)

5. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    A father's love is a strange thing indeed... - lucky Anakin, even if he didn't realise it (much) when he got it. And I loved Vader's reactions - going from one end of the emotional spectrum to another, as he tried to deal with Obi-Wan's...'presence'. And Padme's memories. And Luke.

Lovely little piece. :)

6. Luthe

Luthe Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    ::wibblesquee::

That was unbelievable. I was dying and clinging to my Anakin doll through the whole thing.

"I can be nothing else, Obi-Wan. It is too late. His own words were equally firm."

Oh, Anakin, why have you given into your own lies and despair?

"He loves you.

This struck Vader like a blaster bolt through the heart. What could Luke, who was everything that his father was not, find to love in this grotesque black armor? What could his son possibly see inside of him that even he did not know existed?

He merely loves the idea of having a father. Vader felt compelled to argue the point, though why he bothered he could not say. It is common enough among fatherless boys. An old bitterness reared up and snapped its jaws.

Why could you never believe that you were worthy of love, my Padawan?"

This whole exchange gets completely to the heart of Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship. Anakin wanted to be loved *so much* and never thought he was. And then Luke came and loved him anyway, even though he had no reason to... ::breaks off into a happy sigh::

"Padme?

Even through the armor, Vader felt the weight of a warm and familiar hand on his shoulder. It was exactly where it had rested so many times before, a reassuring presence that had always simply been there. It had consoled and congratulated, no matter the circumstance. The Sith Lord closed his eyes as he felt the hand that had trained him so carefully such a long time ago.

Master. The word came out on a sigh. It was a sound of surrender and longing and regret."

Thank you, Obi-Wan! He needed that!

And Anakin? You don't mean 'Master'. You mean 'Father.'

7. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    That was just gorgeous, VL. I loved the dialogue, so true to both characters. It was indescribably good.

8. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    Oh wow! Wonderful dialogue between these two. So true to life.

9. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Oh, what a great idea. Good story!

10. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    He loves you.

This struck Vader like a blaster bolt through the heart. What could Luke, who was everything that his father was not, find to love in this grotesque black armor? What could his son possibly see inside of him that even he did not know existed?

Why could you never believe that you were worthy of love, my Padawan?

Because I have seen inside myself and I know what lurks there, Master.

That was so sad! I think that was Anakin/Vader's biggest problem. He never felt worthy of love and even when someone (like Obi-Wan or Padme) did love him, he never quite believed it was true. :_| Very original little viggie you've got yourself here, Vader!

11. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    Very sweet exchange between Obi-Wan and Anakin/Vader.

12. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Lovely story. I can very much picture Obi-Wan doing exactly what you have written. And by talking to his Padawan, he has set Anakin up to be receptive to Luke's try at redemption.

Wonderfully done. I really loved this one!

13. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    I could actually see Alec Guiness speaking like this to Vader. He wants Vader to be redeemed, but he doesn't share Luke's conviction that it will happen. Great stuff! =D=

14. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Anakin_Heartbreaker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    That was just amazing, I think I should go watch the end of ROTJ now. It will make me look at it with a different perspective. :)

You did a great job in underlining what Obi-Wan told Vader on the first death star

"If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

I think Vader found out, he was not lying. :)

15. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    That is really cool :D

You could come up with a whole storyline out of this!

Loved it!

God bless,
    Malz

16. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    That was stunning! I really think that was amongst your best viggies - and that's saying something because you've written some incredible pieces. I absolutely adored this: the dialogue between Vader and Obi-Wan hooked me right in. :) :) :)

17. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    Great way to tie things together, vaderlvr.

18. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Alethia Thank you. [face_blush]

Gina I thought this would give them a chance to work out some of their "issues" and make for that happy picture we see at the end of ROTJ (which still makes me cry, BTW!)

Kynstar Anakin, as Vader, as finally matured and learned some control. Obi-Wan likes to provoke him, though. I imagine he's getting back at him for a decade or so of stunts he probably pulled on him.

Princess_Arulmozhi THe father's love is as much the love Obi-Wan has for Anakin as the love Vader will eventually discover he holds for Luke. :D

Luthe Exactly! That what I was thinking the whole time. They are like a father and son who have had a falling out and need to repair the rift.

LuvEwan Thank you! Coming from you, that's a huge compliment; you're such a talented writer yourself.

AnakinsHeir Thank you very much! :)

Dally Odd little plot bunny, I know. But I had to write it.

LukesTheMan Awww shucks, thanks!

mixza I like to imagine these two having some rather interesting conversations. Which probably drove Vader to distraction.

dianethx That was exactly what Obi-Wan was seeking to do, make Vader more receptive to Luke. I'm glad it worked. :)

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Any time a writer can help you see the character doing what they've written, it makes them feel great. So, thanks!

Anakin_Heartbreaker Obi doesn't lie. He may tell things from a "certain point of view," but he does not lie. [face_laugh]

Malz4JESUS Thank you! I'm thrilled you liked it.

Jemmiah I admit, I became attached to it rather quickly. And thank you.

DarthIshtar Thanks! I was hoping it would work. [face_batting]

19. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    That was simply wonderful. Perfect. :)

20. sdhfs

sdhfs Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004

Nice

21. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Sara_Kenobi Thank you, my poor Vader just needed a little bit of understanding and a good lecture! :p

sdhfs Glad you liked it!

And big [:D] to those who helped this little viggie qualify for the awards. I'm humbled and grateful! :D

22. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    That was beautiful.

23. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Masterful! I'm not sure if I'd be disturbed, chilled or infuriated by all the things Obi-Wan told him...certainly confused.

Lovely characterization :)

24. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    That was fantastic- I can't believe it took me this long to find it

25. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    TNPredsFan Thank you! [:D]

LadyPadme Probably all three is a good way to go. ;)

PadawanKitara Thank you for reading! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.