main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Award Shows: 54th Grammy Awards

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    8-11PM CBS Preview
    61st Primetime Emmy Awards

"Big questions surround this year's ceremony, hosted by the capable and cunning Neil Patrick Harris: Will Emmy darling Tina Fey take home the comedy-actress trophy again? (Two out of three EW writers say yes.) Could Family Guy shock the TV world with a cartoonish victory over 30 Rock for best comedy series? (See: No.) Might AMC's critically beloved drama Breaking Bad upset AMC's critically beloved drama Mad Men? And will The Amazing Race triumph for the seventh year in a row? Phil Keoghan's eyebrow is arched in anticipation. ?Dan Snierson"

4. Ninja_Jedi

Ninja_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    People watch the Emmys? :eek:

5. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I hear Doctor Horrible himself will be making an appearance. So I'll definitely be watching.

Also; I like Award Shows...

6. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I'll be watching, got my cell phone alarm on and everything.

7. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006

Comedy:
    Best Supporting Actress: Glad Cenoweth won, surprised she beat Pohler, both were deserving though.

Best Supporting Actor: Screwed up here. Cryer beating Morgan, MacBrayer, Harris, and Wilson? Really screwed up here, big time.

Best Actor: Baldwin is definetly deserving, but he has won the last two years and it was a standout year for Carell and Parsons.

Best Actress: Havent seen Tara, so can't comment here, though Collete is a brillant actress.

8. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    I thought Neil did a great job hosting.

9. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    The Emmys, regardless of host, are like the Special Olympics.
    Practically everyone gets a ribbon for just showing up.

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Except NPH, who has been nominated I think 5 times and never won. And he more than showed up. Fantastic hosting (and producing) job, as expected.

The winners were mostly okay, although I'd like to see Dexter win something. I know Michael J. Fox is Michael J. Fox, but there's no way he deserves a guest award more than Jimmy Smits (who wasn't a guest but a supporting actor, so I'm not sure why he was even in that category...).

But good lord... Jon Cryer?! I had no freaking idea why he was even nominated. When I first saw the list of nominees I made a "one of these things is not like the other" joke about why the hell he was nominated alongside Harris, MacBrayer, Morgan, and Wilson. ANY of those guys would have been a totally respectable win. But, even though they joked about it a lot, it's especially a damn shame that Neil Patrick Harris hasn't one even once for a role he's deserved to win for all three times he's been nominated. Poor guy.

-sj loves kevin spacey

11. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    And Hugh Laurie got snubbed again. Bastards. [face_plain]

12. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    to be fair, hugh laurie sucks so much that he really should be ecstatic to just get nominated.

13. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Riiiight. And now the one about the Little Red Riding Hood, please.

14. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  15. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    I have never seen even the teeniest tiniest evidence of range in House. He's very good at doing the same thing in every single episode, but past that... meh.

16. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Sounds to me like you're confusing Hugh Laurie and the writers of the show. The writers seem to be very happy doing the same thing over and over again and I despise them for it. But I don't think there should be any doubt that Hugh Laurie is a very good actor doing some great work.

I just wish he, and most of the other actors in that cast, were doing it on a better show...

17. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    I'm gonna be honest, this is more from my hatred of the show then of Hugh Laurie's acting ability. :p

It really is an awful show though.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Preston and Steve had a hilarious take on the creepiness of Mike Emerson's acceptance speech tone at the Emmy's last night (it occurs 1:17:23 into that MP3).

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Like hansen said, you might be confusing the actor and the writers. I agree that a lot of episodes are the same stuff over, but don't tell me you haven't seen "a tiniest evidence of range". From the pitch-perfect humour in the clinic scenes, through so very subtle mood changes in the facial expressions, to tense dramatic stuff like the Season 4 double-episode finale, the man's performance is pure perfection.

20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hugh Laurie is actually quite a brilliant actor with a splendid range. He's one of the better comedic actors out there, though oddly he's never really had a chance to show that in America.

That being said, House is an abysmally boring show. It's nice that people here know who he is because of it, but if I were him I'd be bleeding out my eyes from having to do the same thing over and over and over... Honestly, I can't get through even one episode of that show without losing interest.

-sj loves kevin spacey

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Even though I haven't really followed the show, there's a lot of talk that Laurie is a lock for next year's Emmy's with his performance in the season premiere (it's likely no coincidence that the premiere seemingly breaks the typical format of the show).

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  23. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    "At the very end of Vulture?s chat with Hugh Jackman, they asked if the multi-faceted star would again host the Oscars this year. His response: ?I don?t know. I haven?t been asked.? Which got us thinking: If it?s never too early for Best Picture punditry, then it?s just as valid to start calling the odds on who?ll host an awards show five months away. We?ve narrowed down the race to seven candidates, broken down in three categories: The Thoroughbreds, The Tantalizing Possibilities, and The Dark Horses.

The Thoroughbreds
    Hugh Jackman

Why: Producers Laurence Mark and Bill Condon wanted to do something completely different with last year?s show, giving the proceedings a classed-up, throwback feel by putting the orchestra on a thrust stage and bathing the audience in Swarovski-crusted opulence. Hugh was the dashing plastic bridegroom atop their wedding cake (and, some might argue, the glowing bride as well), wowing the crowd with his seemingly boundless gifts for song, dance, and making light-funny at only his own expense. And all the while, he managed to stay effortlessly classy, even when hopping into Frank Langella?s lap or singing about pubic hair.

He brought in higher ratings, too: 36.3 million viewers, 4.3 million more than the year before.

Why not: His single 2009 output, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, is considered an Oscar frontrunner in all categories, and will therefore turn the evening into an awkward series of hosting stops and acceptance speech starts."

I liked him, but he's wasn't great or anything.

25. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Huh? It's a frontrunner??? In what categories?

(Or is he just joking? Seriously that comment completely confused me. o_O)