main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards ~*~Awards Survey~*~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hello fanficcers!

We took a year off due to the move, but we've noticed that in recent years it seems as though interest in the FanFic awards has dropped off pretty significantly. So instead of just doing them, we wanted do this quick little survey to see what kind of interest there is and for what type of awards. As always, if the awards are done, they are user based and we the mods really don't have any say over exactly how they are run, but we do want to get a feel on what people think. If it is decided to do them, this information will be passed to those running the awards and used for them to decide on how they are run.

Please let us know your thought/comments either here in this thread or via PM and please encourage other to do the survey!

Thanks!
    ~DWH, mav and Luna

1. Should we do the awards this year? Do you have an interest in participating? (Not just volunteering but nominating and voting.)

2. If done, when should we have them? (Summer? Winter? )

3. If we do awards should they: (Please feel free to expand on your answers and even have multiple answer choices)
    a) Have a very similar format as in years past (separate eras, large amount of categories)
    b) Have a very similar format as in years past but with much fewer categories
    c) Combine all eras keep same/similar categories
    d) Combine all eras and have a smaller number of categories
    d) A few of the 'big' categories and more 'fun' categories (Either combined era's or separate)

4. What are some things that you think would get more people to participate in the awards?

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Off the cuff (no thinking about it):

Winter. Most folks, I think, read more during the gloomy, dreary months. More readership, more involvment.

Don't combine the eras, else expect After to sweep just by sheer force of numbers.

Fun categories? Sounds fun.

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Winter.
    A similar format but a smaller number of categories
    No combination of eras
    Fun categories? Sure

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Just a quick question, would we include the fics posted after the last awards but before the move? I personally think it should just be the fics posted after, because people have horrible memories and the whole truncation issue just brings in more problems.

1. Should we do the awards this year? Do you have an interest in participating? (Not just volunteering but nominating and voting.)

--Yes and yes.

--Summer, but that is just from a student's prospective. Winter is crazy enough as it is for me.

3. If we do awards should they: (Please feel free to expand on your answers and even have multiple answer choices)
    d) A few of the 'big' categories and more 'fun' categories (Either combined era's or separate)

--perhaps have the a few 'big' ones for each era then have fun categories (best description of someone's abs :p) for all categories.

4. What are some things that you think would get more people to participate in the awards?

--Colours? Colours for the volunteers and winners.

5. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    1. Yes :) I would definitely nominate and vote, not sure about volunteering.

2. I was going to say summer because people may have lighter loads for school/work, but perhaps Valairy has a point about more readership in winter - does anyone know the traffic stats for summer v. winter?

3. I think probably fewer categories - maybe the volume of categories was scaring some people off? I don't know, but I know in the past I haven't nominated/voted for every category. Also, I feel like the volunteers get run pretty ragged for a limited payoff, so anything that lessens their burden is a plus. (I've never volunteered before, so I don't know for sure if fewer categories would make things significantly easier.) I'm inclined to combine eras in the interest of simplifying and maybe increasing cross-traffic, but since Before is likely to get the short end of that deal, I guess I would want to hear input from writers who focus on that era. I guess I'm in favor of fun categories, but I'm not certain what is meant by that.

4. I really don't know, but I think it may be worth trying to make them smaller/simpler and see if that helps at all. Or maybe giving out colors to random voters?

6. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    1. Yes, I would vote and would like to participate too. I would nominate too, but I need to catch up on my reading first!

2. I would prefer summer because my winter is very very busy this year, but if the preference is winter then I'm sure I can find time.

3. Having never been involved in any fanfic awards before I don't have enough knowledge to be able to comment.

4. A prize possibly? I don't know what of though.

7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Yes I would like to participate.

That is a tough one because I would prefer summer, but college kids are usually going crazy with finals at the end of the year. Maybe in the Winter but at least a month in from the start of a new semester. If it is in the summer than I would say late July or early August because at the end of August school starts again and people are busy.

a) Have a very similar format as in years past (separate eras, large amount of categories)
    Definitely separate Eras. I think there should be a category for drama/serious fics and maybe a category for humor/Parody fics. I like categories for Epic long stories (Over 60K words), also perhaps Song fics and drabbles. I'd like an award for best OC. How about Best New Writer award, maybe we can get more lurkers to come out by a Best Reviewer award.

Pin the awards thread to the top of the forum so it doesn't get lost on page two. How about a prize? Colors or maybe something else...like coverart for the best overall story. I bet we could get somebody in the fanart forum to volunteer.

8. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001

I'd love to see the awards happen again and would absolutely be interested in nominating and voting. Unfortunately, my time management skills are probably not up to volunteering.

Depends on the month, really. It would probably be better for it not to be during the November-December errands marathon. Maybe February? Summer is fine too, but perhaps Valairy is right and there are less readers. I've never really noticed one way or the other.

Mostly (b), but it would be nice to have some 'fun' categories as well. One of the things I liked about the awards in past years was the awards for characterization of specific types of beings (such as aliens or droids) that are not always seen very much in canon. I think having some extra categories like that could encourage more different types of stories, though I can see how having too many categories would be difficult on the volunteers. Some sort of happy medium in which there are some extra categories, probably with combined eras, and then a few basic "best story" type awards for each individual era might cut down on the work while keeping a bit of variety.

Some sort of request fanart or short fanfic might be used as a reward for the volunteers. How to manage that is not something I have much experience with, but I have seen request fics (about some character, pairing, or plot bunny that the request-maker wanted to see) used as incentives. Maybe a few people could volunteer ahead of time to write a drabble or something for the volunteers. Depending on the amount of participation, we may or may not have enough people for that to work. Temporary colors for winners and volunteers sounds fine, though not everyone logs in here every day and so they might miss it.

9. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004

No. It would be nice to wait until the truncated post issue is taken care of, just in case any epics are cut off.

Later, after the truncated posts get restored.

Maybe.

That sounds OK.

Nooooooooooo.

Nope.

Nah.

A listing of links of all eligible stories at the beginning of the for nominations process.

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Is there any word on the truncation issue? Although I sort of agree with ardavenport that it would be nice to wait until the fix...I personally think it is not going to happen...ever. After a year or two most of the truncated stories will probably be locked on page 50. At that point the powers that be might say 'why bother?'

11. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Would it be, for lack of a better word, unfair to just say these awards are only for fics posted after the move? Usually the awards are only for the past 12 months anyways (right?) and it has been almost a year since the completion of the move. That way there is no need to wait for a fix for the truncation issue. And if people really want their fics that they posted between the last awards and the move (what was that, like a seven month period?) then they can repost them.

RE: avenportsidea of posting all the links in one place of eligible fics to be nominated is a good idea, IMO, I think it might be hard to do because no one person, or even a group of people could collect all the links. The authors could be asked to submit links to stories they want eligible for awards, but not every author is on here regularly (I know last time I nominated a story for most underrated and it ended up winning, but she was hardly ever on here so she didn't even know she was nominated) or some authors might not have the courage to think their fic could win anything.

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    If we do have a nominated truncated story would it be acceptable to provide a link to FFN or another place it is posted instead of having to untruncate the story by editing?

13. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005

I can’t help but feel that fanfic will become popular again once the fervor for Episode VII starts. It might be quiet now, but it’s the calm before the storm!

1. Should we do the awards this year? Do you have an interest in participating? (Not just volunteering but nominating and voting.) If they are done I will participate.

2. If done, when should we have them? I’d say winter.

3. If we do awards should they:

4. What are some things that you think would get more people to participate in the awards? I think the awarding of ‘colors’ would help motivate people--for winners but also as 'door prizes'. Or maybe a special ‘winner’ icon/avatar? I also think a ‘form’ to fill out helps instead of just free-wheeling it with sending in links.

I’ve had fun with awards ceremonies in the past. It’ll be fun to get that feeling back of being a unified board after having been gone so long last year! :)

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  14. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    OK, I'm game...

Sure

Summer - Say July

And dare I say have the stories eligible that were started 'POST MOVE', or put some kind of cap on the amount one person/story can be nommed for - Yes, I know there are epics (some reposted, some truncated) that have been going on for YEARS, and even though I have posted as individual fics, I consider my own works part of a larger story arc - if it's supposed to be about fun and encouragement, many authors are put off by the same old same old.

15. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005

Maybe the awards should wait until there is a larger selection of stories to choose from. The fic board isn't very active right now except for some regularly updated older fics and the occasional new one-off.

As for participating, if there's room for me, sure.

Summer and Winter both have their advantages and disadvantages.

a. Seperate eras and formats keeps everything organized and fair, so definitely stick with this format.

b. Fewer categories might work, but it depends what categories get cut; i.e. losing the OC categories. As a major OC writer person, it would be a shame to get rid of those categories. Not saying anyone would do this, but it would be terrible to only stick with the most obvious categories.

Someone else mentioned awarding colors as a prize...yeah, those would be pretty awesome. ;)

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    1. Would I participate/be interested in awards? Yes. Totally.

2. When? Before NANO and before the holiday fic exchange, or concurrently with the latter. Or mid-summer, before August, mid-July would work, so as not to interfere with craziness surrounding classes ending/starting.

3. Categories/formats: A. But as for fics related to truncation, eek! I LOL-ed at the never-fix comment :p [face_sigh] But I do think new authors that are still around but registered right before the move should still get new author eligibility or author eligibility.

4. A form for links and 48 hours of colors would definitely be awesome. :D

17. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

.Interest may be connected to the truncation problem, I know I haven't done much with my stories because of it, my apologies because I post elsewhere because of it.
    The awards where nice, and I agree that if you want to do them go ahead. Your winter is my summer so it doesn't matter when you have them to me. :)

18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks to all of you who have participate so far, but we'd like more so please encourage others to participate. :)

Just a few little notes:

Re: Waiting until the truncation issue is over: At this point, if we want to do awards, I'd say not to wait. While we still hold out hope it will be fixed, we can't say when that might be. :(

Re: Prizes: I think prizes are a great idea! 2 things with colors: 1. In the past few years we've seen a drop off of people being motivated by colors. There's been much less participation in the Mod Challenges and other contests where colors are possible to win. 2. It wouldn't really be feasible for all winners to get colors (at least with the amount of categorizes we've had in the past) and that could be a problem. We could certainly explore ways to make that a fair option. This is the problem for any prize giving, I think.

Interest in the awards wouldn't have anything to do with truncation since we haven't had them since it happened. The amount of interest is about the same as it has been the past few years (It dropped off long before we moved) but the last awards there was very little in the way of nominating and voting compared to previous years. Participation had been declining with less people taking an interest in fanfic, but the last year it was really a drop off.

19. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    1. Should we do the awards this year? Do you have an interest in participating? (Not just volunteering but nominating and voting.) Yes. No, but maybe voting.

I think either. Both are times when people are at home more than any other time of year. But there are always reasons why both are bad too.

- Having the awards so thickly dense in everything, from categories, voting, voting for finals and then voting again makes it a long, tedious process, and a real turn off to participate in. No other awards system I have seen lasts so long. Finding anyway to reduce everything involved might encourage more users to join and participate. It's why I usually avoid them all together. I like voting, but not enough to do it for about a month as we go through the awards.

- As I mentioned above. Maybe more moderator involvement too. Mod threads have always been more attention grabbing than users threads.

20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I think we should assume that the truncation issue is never going to be solved. This way if they solve it we will be pleasantly surprised.

This is my suggestion:

I think since not many stories were written in the last year and there has been low participation in voting in 2011 perhaps we should do a scaled down awards ceremony. That will get people interested in the awards and reading the nominated fanfics without getting overwhelmed in the voting process. In 2011 we had the following categories.

Genre

Best Alternative Universe
    Best Canon
    Best Action
    Best Drama
    Best Romance
    Best Humor
    Best All Around

Style
    Most Underrated
    Best Response To A Challenge
    Best Songfic
    Best Poem
    Best Crossover
    Best Short Story
    Best Epic
    Best Vignette
    Best Series

Character
    Best Canon Interpretation, Male
    Best Canon Interpretation, Female
    Best Original Character, Male
    Best Original Character, Female
    Best Child
    Best Non-Human
    Best Villain
    Best Ensemble Cast

Author
    Best Author
    Best New Author
    Best Collaborative

I suggest we reduce amount of categories to the following. This is just a suggestion and people can offer different categories to stay or go, the bottom line is I think we should streamline it and then if there is a good turn out for the 2013 awards then maybe in 2014 the original list of categories can be added.

I would having the three different Sagas with these suggested categories-

Genre

Best Alternative Universe
    Best Canon
    Best All Around

Style
    Best Crossover
    Best Short Story (includes Vignette, Songfic and poems)
    Best Epic
    Best Series

Character

Best Canon Interpretation
    Best Original Character

Author
    Best Author
    Best New Author
    Best Collaborative

Anyway, that's my suggestion.

The_Face and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  21. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I just want to add that I really like Kahara's idea of having most of the awards for all eras combined, with just one or two categories (Best Overall, Best Author) for each individual era.

I've been assuming this for a long time :)

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That's a good idea also. Just make it more streamlined.

23. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010

Yes and yes.

I think January is a good time. You can have the the due date for eligibility be Dec, 31st.

I like Jedi_Lover's suggestion, but I would include Best Collaborative because there aren't enough collabs to choose from. Include Collaborative works on the other categories.

Also, bare in mind that according to previous years policy, the volunteers that count the votes are not eligible to be voted for the specific Era they volunteered for, so if you combine the Eras you are keeping the volunteers from being nominated at all. That might turn people off from volunteering in the first place.

I think prizes are a good idea, but if colors aren't feasible then I have no idea what the prizes should be.

Also, keep in mind that not having the pre-move stories be eligible can be a huge turn-off for the authors who worked extra hard to have their fics (some of them epic) ready and completely posted before the move as not to leave their readers hanging.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I agree. I think all fics that were written since the last awards Ceremony should be eligible. If a story is nominated that is truncated it would be up to the author to either fix the story or offer to PM the story to readers at request or post an alternate website link where the story can be read in the un-truncated form.

25. Rau_Fang

Rau_Fang Jedi Master star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    I'm a bit behind on this!

Yes - and I'd even like to volunteer. I think they should be done in the winter. I like the fewer categories, although I would suggest having male and female representation for both OC and Canon. I'm glad the eras are separated of course.

What should the awards be? Anyway to change Jedi Grand Master to Winner Such and Such?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.