main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Din Grogu [Baby Yoda] (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I said it as a joke originally but I think it could be pretty great

Anubis78 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well We now have proof that child is
    Force Sensitive

Anubis78 and Bor Mullet like this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Also Chapter 2 can put to rest a lot of the complaints about it being a baby at 50.
    It's not only mobile, but also aware of its Force powers. Clearly its development is more on track than would seem.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    My bet is that
    it can communicate telepathically but it takes longer for the species to actually talk

5. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    The "baby" appears to be more like a toddler to me. He is self aware and he knows when someone is in danger and this is a big one and he knows how to use the force. I almost think I heard him try to speak in the last scene.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    baby yoda, seems mutch more like a toddler andcan already eat frogs and walk and nearly talk. it is aware of danger and if the other person is hurt.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Baby yoda has had some very basic training

8. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Toddler Yoda can also walk pretty easily. I am suspecting this toddler will not end up exactly where the Mando is supposed to be taking him..

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Speaking of it walking nothing in Chapter 2 was more adorable than it waddling around in oversized robes.

Darkslayer and Bor Mullet like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah this episode was basically the introduction to what the Asset can do and clearly it can do more than just sit in it's "egg" and float. The scene of it trying to use the Force to heal the mando was way cute.

I get the feeling that it may not be trained but the species may just intuitively use the Force.

Bor Mullet and Felicia like this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    He'll be a musician. Yohann Sebastian Bach.

Or an action movie actor: Yo-Adrian.

But I just call him Hey You.

12. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Which is consistent with how the Force is presented in the films. It can manifest itself without training, but focused and effective use against other Force users does require training and self-reflection.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The jawas got their egg, and ate it, satisfying their immediate need.

Will the Mando do the same thing with his egg, and turn it in for his reward?

Such simple but effective visual storytelling. Favreau’s writing on this show seems to be his best. So far.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  14. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    There was hardly any dialogue in this episode (There was some, but not a lot compared to episode 1) but yet, I felt this episode told us so much.

As far as Bay Yoda goes, I am curious how instinctive his Force use is? The Baby Yoda angle is really a welcome plot. Not really sure what the Mando will do?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    from my perspective it seemed very intentional on the part of our little green friend. The way it seems like it tries to heal the Mando's wound reinforces my belief.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    My guess is that the Mando initially turns Yodaling in, gets his pound of beskar, and has it forged into a whole new set of armor. Then he regrets it, and goes all Neo or John Wick to get it back. And afterwards, he either returns it to its planet, or gives it to a woman who has lost her child (perhaps the one from the trailer who touches his helmet). I have spoken.

11-4D likes this.
  17. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    This sounds so plausible that it feels like I just got spoiled.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Well, I’m John Favreau. So, there’s that.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    No wonder you like the show so much

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Honestly, it'd be far ballsier if they actually went the other way, baby Yoda does end up in the hands of the Imperials, and worse than that the Mando actually trades him willingly to help out his displaced people.

I mean, timeline-wise the little guy's probably likely to not be around by the time of the ST anyway, dark as that is, but...

[face_devil] Yeah, if they're intent on going with grimdarkz Star Wars, just lean into that I say. GFFA Breaking Bad the thing, have the Mando start out as at least a little sympathetic/with a code, and erode that over the seasons with him compromising morally bigtime in order to further his goals (in this case restore his people).

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    But they’re not at all intent on going with grimdarkz. It’s clear from the beginning that the show has a huge heart. To a degree that I didn’t expect at all, and which is just so...right. Subverted my expectations in the best possible way. They’re not doing Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad in space. They’re doing Star Wars.

Anyway, I think he does turn him in, and then regrets it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    cathiecat, BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  22. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Oh, yeah, I don't mean there's no emotional core or humor to the thing. Just that it's clearly the darker-grimier end of the Star Wars spectrum like Rogue One, and that if you're going to do that it'd be pretty impressive to really lean into the dark stuff. That'd be gutsier (and an actual surprise) than the grumpy-dude-has-his-frozen-heart-thawed-by-the-cute-innocent-baby thing, much of a Western/samurai trope as that awesomely may be.

23. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Size matters not already applies to this youngling as it lifted that mud rhino creature but it did come with a cost to its energy like Yoda with the X-Wing lift.

Yoda aside, it reminds of a cross between Gizmo and baby Groot.

cathiecat likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, but that would be contrary to the spirit of Star Wars. And what would it communicate, exactly? That we should all be really cynical? Gutsiness, or surprise, for its own sake doesn’t seem to be what this show is going for.

The first two episodes also show that they’re clearly not leaning into the dark stuff. It’s far less dark than Rogue One was for its first two acts, and what you’re describing would go far beyond that darkness.

The question is: why would they do that? The only way it would work, given the heart of the show, would be if it still eventually leads to the Mando repenting.

ETA: Wait. Have you seen the first two episodes? I ask because your grimdarkz comment seems to be based on the impression the trailers gave. The show has turned out to be something...very different from the trailers. Almost shockingly so.

25. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Ah, interesting. No, haven't signed up just yet, but sort of have a general rundown on the first couple eps.

But yeah, if it's way lighter than the marketing so be it. Kinda struggling to wrap my head around that though given we've got him cutting a guy in half (and sounds like that wasn't a trailer fakeout, he actually does it) and the whole displaced refugee Mandos stuff. But yep, haven't got a sense of the tone firsthand just yet.

Bor Mullet likes this.