main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Back to Midichlorians, Luke has to have as many as Anakin

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by 1badJedi, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1badJedi

1badJedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2008
    I recently saw a list of midichlorian counts for various famous Jedi/Sith from supershadow or whatever. I think it is inaccurate. Luke has to have close to the number his father had. Think about the reproductive process. Our genetics don't decrease as we reproduce. We acquire similarities from both parents. The theory this list has is because Luke and Leah are twins the count is split. That doesn't make any sense, I think they would both have a great deal more than 14,500 as the list suggests. Also, it says Darth Malak has more than Darth Revan who is known as "The Heart of the Force." Any opinions on this matter are welcome.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    "supershadow" and "inaccurate" are synonymous

as are the terms "supershadow" and "blatent liar"

But going to the genetics element, There would be no difference in Luke's genes if he had a twin or not, as you say. But his count would be lower than Anakin, because his mother didn't have any.

3. 1badJedi

1badJedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2008
    I agree because we do take aspects from both parents. Very interesting though. What is a good source for these topics?

4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Do you mean the genetic angle?

5. 1badJedi

1badJedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2008
  6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    it's kinda hard to use earth genetics for midichlorians/jedi heredity statistics, especially since the force is mystical.

7. 1badJedi

1badJedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2008
    mystical the force may be, but only shown through living things the force is...

8. 1badJedi

1badJedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2008
    Good point though.

9. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, if we assume that the "midi count" is one of the genetic traits carried on, then each parent would have 2 Midi genes, which would be taken from their parents (and Anakin had no father).

So we could assume that Anakin's "father" was 100% "midi" which would give him one 100% midigene, and another gene from Shmi. We would then need to know which gene was dominant which is a whole other discussion!

But going on to Luke, we don't know Padme's parentage, but let's assume one of her grandparents was a 100% Jedi. That would make one of her parents 50% Jedi, and Padme either 25% Jedi or 0% Jedi (depending on whether she inherited that Jedi Gene or not - 50% chance). So let's say she was one eighth Jedi for the sake of argument

Luke would inherit one Jedi Gene from Anakin, and one Jedi Gene from Padme. The Anakin Gene would obviously be pure, and there COULD be a small addition from Padme, depending on her heritage.

So Luke would have one pure Jedi gene, and one pretty-much non-Jedi gene. So again, it would come down to which gene is dominant.

10. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Like Halibut said, Supershadow is basically the definition of liar.

I remember reading the "midichlorian count chart" a few years back and wondering how he got the numbers. Did he test Master Yoda's blood himself or did he buy it off ebay?

11. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    The only thing we know about Luke and the Force is that it is "strong" in the Skywalker family. How it breaks down as far as midichlorians is unknown because the concept was basically abandoned after TPM (and rightfully so). Further, the Force is a mystical thing that exists in everything and binds the universe together. It exists in the space between and beyond all things. All we know is that Luke was able to tap into the Force in a rapid and powerful manner. Leia too had the Force just about as strongly as Luke but she was merely untrained and had never paid attention to it.

Bottom line: We don't know Luke's midichlorian count and it's ultimately irrelevant to the story of Anakin Skywalker.

12. 1badJedi

1badJedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2008
    Right, I agree with everyone. The midichlorian count was just a way Lucas chose to describe how special Anakin's abilities where. Not the most popular way but neither are Jar Jar or some dialoges he chose in the prequels. Any more opinions on this matter will be watched and welcome.

13. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    The notion that Luke and Leia would have a split midichlorian count (since Padme is presumably at 0) is like suggesting that they each got half a nose from each of their parents, which when combined together would make a whole nose. If Padme didn't have a nose, then Luke and Leia would only have half of one from their father! It's ludicrous.

14. the_immolated_one

the_immolated_one Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    Actually it's very relevant to understand why Darth Vader never overthrew the Emperor even though he wanted to not long after he became Darth Vader.

15. the_immolated_one

Sep 24, 2006
    Everybody and everything living has midi-chlorians in Star Wars.

16. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I guess I don't see how Luke's midichlorian count is relevant to Vader not overthrowing the Emperor. Feel free to enlighten me. :)

17. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    True, but only a small percentage of them have enough to be force sensitive.

18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Aye, I was just trying to air some thoughts IF there were genetics involved. But there simply isn't enough information to make any form of calculation :)

19. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    We do know Luke's count, because it is the same as Anakin's. Lucas said Luke has the same potential Anakin had, and since midichlorians dictate potential their count would be the same as well. It's plenty relevant to the story of Anakin because it gives Luke the potential and power to defeat Vader, redeem his father, and save the galaxy. Not to mention that Star Wars is not just the Fall of Anakin Skywalker but also the Adventures of Luke Skywalker.

20. the_immolated_one

Sep 24, 2006
    The Force is the great mystery. Many fans think midi-chlorians diminshed the mystery of the Force but I don't believe it did.
    Midi-chlorians are in everything living, in the Star Wars universe, so everything living is sensitive to the Force. It's just that somewhere along the line the Jedi thought they could produce super-Jedi by conditioning people from birth to be super-Jedi based on a blood test; however, that does not mean a person with a low midi-chlorian count can't be a Jedi. It's just that they won't be a crazy powerful Jedi like Yoda but ultimately Yoda's power did not matter. It's just that throughout the years the Jedi have developed bad habits and one of those bad habits was the practise of genetic discrimination, but what the movie is ultimately saying is that a person with natural talent is all good but if someone just simply has the will to overcome all obstacles then that person is just as good as a person with a god given talent. But then again maybe being tenacious is a god given talent as well.

21. the_immolated_one

Sep 24, 2006
    Well I did speak out of context. Sorry about that. It happens.
    You're right Luke's midichorian count doesn't have very much to do with why Darth Vader never tried to overthrow the Emperor. What I meant to say is midi-chlorians are important in understanding why Vader never tried to overthrow the Emperor. As was mentioned earlier Luke's midi-chlorian count is higher than Vader's and that's why the Emperor wants Luke instead of Vader.

22. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Lucas has said that Luke can become what Anakin would have been if he was never injured which would imply that Luke has the same amount of midichlorians as a completely healthy Anakin.

23. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    yep..

Yeah it does..

You have good points, but there is a cut off point for being a Jedi. Not all the folks that can actually touch the force has the strength in the force to be effectively trained as a Jedi. They might be good in other force using orders, but not as Jedi Knights.

24. 1badJedi

1badJedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2008
    I Agree Luke has as many as Anakin otherwise he would not be considered "A New Hope" so to speak, also Leah as well because she is mentioned as an alternate hope in ESB. Hope would mean to be more powerful than the Emperor and Vader potentially. Yoda must have forseen what Vader would do when his son was threatened he was always tied to the darkside by his emotions. So, the Emperor was indeed too overconfident in his influence over either Skywalker. Yoda played Palpatine in other words.

25. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    As was mentioned earlier Luke's midi-chlorian count is higher than Vader's and that's why the Emperor wants Luke instead of Vader.

I thought it was because Vader was damaged goods and that Luke had proven himself superior?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.