main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada BAD news folks... about tickets for Famous Players...

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Indigo_Jade, May 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3263827

3263827 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 1999
    Just bought my tickets here in Ottawa. Sabre's information is 100% correct.

2. _5_1_5_0_

_5_1_5_0_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2001
    Awesome 3262827!!!
    Only a matter of hours until Im sure we hear something in BC at our SilverCities!!!
    Im hoping Chill will bring back some good news this morning!!

3. Willrick

Willrick Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2002
    3263827, are those tickets (in ottawa) for the midnight screening (if there is one!)?!

Been trying to phone the movie theaters In Hull/Gatineau, and no one seems to know if there is (or not) a 12:01 screening...

Thanks.

4. 3263827

3263827 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 1999
    No, Famous Players does not seem to be playing any 12:01am shows yet.

I got tickets for SilverCity Gloucester for May 16th - 12:00pm (noon), 3:30pm, 7pm, and 10:30pm. I also got a 12:01am ticket at SouthKey Cineplex Odeon.

5. Tech_Knight

Tech_Knight Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2002
    I just posted this in the Toronto forum, but this thread is pretty active so i'll cross-post:
    --------------
    (This is about The Paramount in Toronto)

Ok, so I bought a ticket today, May 8 at around 1pm.

Right now, they are only selling these shows:
    May 16 Noon
    May 16 3pm
    May 16 7pm
    May 16 10:30pm

I bought a 10:30pm ticket. The counter drone said there was no digital screening and couldn't tell me anything about a midnight show the night before. (so, who knows..)

6. Brodieman

Brodieman Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2002
    HELP!!
    I'm in St. Catharines, and would love to buy tickets for the Paramount Theatre in Toronto, and even though their phone prompt says they're available online, it doesn't look like they've updated it. Does anyone know how to reach them by phone to process the tickets or a different online source? Help me fanforce - you're my only hope. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

7. _5_1_5_0_

_5_1_5_0_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2001
    the times Tech_Knight listed are the same out here in BC too!!!
    Famous Players is messed up....
    They told me only one theatre in Langley BC Silver City was playing AOTC cos they didnt think it was gonna be that popular... I just laughed, got my tixs and walked away

8. Maruuk

Maruuk Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2002
    All Lower mainland BC Fan Forcers listen up! I was looking for information this morning at FP and I just got completely fed up. The entire organization can't get their stories straight! This afternoon I went to strawberry hill and got my tickets for the 12:01 am show. No line, no hassle, you can just buy them. Strawberry hill has stadium seating, is cheaper, and sells coke products which just happens to be a bonus for me, a sprite lover. When i went at 3pm this afternoon, they still had more than 300 seats left for the midnight show! and tickets have been on sale since last friday! Im guessing not many people know about this place. In short, Strawberry good, FP bad. I know a lot of us would rather hold our breaths for DLP, but Riverport seems to be more screwed up than the rest of them. I plan on seeing DLP at some time but its the mood and atmosphere of the first show I'm looking for! So I put out the call to all Vancouver Fan Forcers! I have seen the light, and it is Strawberry Hill!!! You can talk to HUMANS on the phone, the first thing the recording will tell you is the DIRECT OFFICE LINE! Ask them urself and they'll tell you they have many seats left. I think it will be great if we all show up at midnight there, it will be tonnes of fun, and no more of the stress. There is nothing greater, after the countless calls, expensive car and bus trips, and misinformation, than the feeling of holding that sweet, sweet piece of paper in your hand!!! Go now! and may the force be with you!!!!

P.S. While the granville may be closer and still has tickets, i think that the seating there SUCKS. Ive been to several movies where ive had to prop myself up on several jackets to see half the screen, strawberry has stadium seating like a silvercity, nuff said

9. ITHORiANjanitor

ITHORiANjanitor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2002
    word to that. I got tix for the 12:01 showing at strawberry hill as well as tix for the 12:00 noon show at riverport. Famous Players kinda dropped the ball on this one...and while Im none too pleased with their handling of it, no amount of lamenting it is gonna help...Its cool though, Strawberry hill is quite the nice theatre, and its much much closer to me than Granville. I would reccomend to anyone who's down for the midnight show to hit them up tomorrow for tickets, they probably still have some left...I got mine around 9pm tonight and there were still plenty. Unless you want the amenities et al, you may want to stick with Granville if you live in van; its much closer. If, however, you're representin' Delta or Richmond then Strawberry Hill Forever!!!

10. Willrick

Willrick Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2002
    I finally got my ticket too (19:00, SilverCity Hull). Same shows as the other FP:

May 16 Noon
    May 16 3pm
    May 16 7pm
    May 16 10:30pm

They only seems to be showing it on one screen so far. No plan of having a 12:01 AM screening.

That's bad... I really enjoyed the 12:01 show 3 years ago.

11. vallsyl

vallsyl Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    Does anybody know, Saber 81 maybee you would... What is Fox asking of Famous Players that is so impossible for them no to be able to come to an better understanding? But yet all other Cineplex have no problems at all with Fox!

12. Willrick

Willrick Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2002
    Some of the demands by Lucas:

You need to show the movie on the biggest screen (People-wise [spelling?]) of the theater for at least 8 weeks. That they should send 70% of their profits for that screen to Lucas for the first three weeks, 60% for week four and five, 50% for week six and seven and 40% for the last one? (Translated from a French newspaper)

13. vallsyl

vallsyl Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    Does that mean that this is what other Cineplex like Odeon add to agreed too....

I heard on CNN that Famous Players want 70% of profits for first 3 weeks.... That's alote just for showing the damm movie!

14. Willrick

Willrick Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2002
    Looks like it's a rule for every theater (in canada anyway).

Some theaters in Quebec will not show the movie at all because of those rules.

If you have less than 5 screens in your theater, you cannot afford to keep a movie on your biggest screen for eight weeks... specially if the movie is not good.

15. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Hi, I'm back.. been a crazy few days with little sleep.

Just also confirming that the SilverCity here in St. Catharines has the same 4 show times as everywhere else.

Its actually a good thing for us though. The manager at our theatre knows we are trying to rais eoney for charity along with the ticket sales. We had only one hour notice, and hence no chance to publicize our charity event.

We did it anyways, spent all night by the theatre offering food, and entertainment, but with next to no turn out apart from club members.

Here is the good part. To make up for the lack of notice, and since the 1st showing is at noon, the manager suggested we line up on the evening of the 15th/morning of the 16th. That we can promote heavily while we are selling our raffle tickets, and on the radio and in the papers (in today's paper even), so we can get a good sized turn out for people wanting to see the first showing.

It will really help our charity. Its a good thing to make friends with the manager at the theatre of your choice! :)

Off to sleep for a little while and back to our raffle in the morning.

16. Boromir19

Boromir19 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 12, 2001
    Well, it seems as if my information regarding Famous Players intention to only sell tickets starting the 14th in London, Ontario was wrong!

The idiot I talked to from my local Silvercity obviously got his Tuesdays mixed up because he said they would go on sale the 14th when actually they were on sale on the 7th! Incidentally, that was the VERY DAY I was talking to this kid! Geez...you'd think they would have informed managers answering the phone at the biggest theatre in the city wouldn't you?

Anyway, I knew something was up so I phoned my Silvercity on the 8th, Wednesday. They said they had been selling tix as of the 7th! Ooh, I was FUMING! They confirmed Famous Players aren't doing midnight showings either. So I resorted to Cineplex Odeon, rushed down there after speaking to the manager (a nice woman to boot) and purchased 6 12:01 am tickets for opening day, err night, for my friends and I.

So, I have my tickets and I'm really happy and relieved. But wow, this was such a fiasco for so many of us, wasn't it? The big theatre chains should really handle these things better!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.