main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amph Bada Bing! Soprano's Movie "The Many Saints of Newark" Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Nov 28, 2018.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I believe indications are that box office numbers generally correlate to HBOMax numbers but, on the flipside, I'm betting this got way more views on HBO Max USA than the box office numbers indicate. Chase himself explicitly said he's actually super ticked it's on HBO Max even saying at one point "I wouldn't have made the movie if I knew it would be on HBO again". But also he just signed a big WB deal so maybe that was just him talking smack.

No WB theatrical releases in Canada (they stopped VOD as soon as theatres re-opened wide at The Suicide Squad) so I'm waiting the 45 days for VOD.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    One thing I didn’t like were the actors playing Paulie and Silvio. They felt like parodies of those characters. It might be because I’m so familiar with those characters that someone else doing the mannerisms felt unnatural but then again I thought Michael Gandolfini did a really good job so maybe they were just bad IMO.

Runjedirun likes this.
  3. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    I don't think this works as a standalone film nor was it intended to. I think it does add meaning and nuance to the show. For me I always questioned the relationship between Tony & Artie. I thought the power imbalance between them was too great and that Tony wouldn't hang around someone like Artie. However here you see them as kids and now I think it makes more sense that Tony would still be friends with someone he knew before his mob life. I think the cast does well with Vera Farmiga as the standout for the younger version of established characters. In fact I think they made her look more like Carmela than Livia.

This story adds to the tragedy that is Tony Soprano. For a brief moment he had a chance to chase his dreams of going to college and playing in the pros however it wasn't to be. His admiration for Dickie will repeat itself with Christopher, as do many of the relationships as shown in this prequel.

Runjedirun likes this.
  4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I hear you but I always liked the Tony Artie friendship, which was complicated, esp. on Artie's end. It makes sense that the worlds would blur, and I'm sure Tony doesn't want to spend his free time with guys he works with all day. I haven't seen the film yet, I want to see Bond this weekend.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Watched some episodes of the Sopranos on HBOMax. Wow do they currently look bad. They are cropped to 16x9. And the motion or something seemed off. Is this a streaming issue? A 1080 upscaled source being played on a 4K tv issue. Even the motion or frame rate seemed off.

The quality of the show itself is so good I quickly could overlook the technical shortcomings. But it’s a shame this fantastic show has any issues like this at all streaming.

6. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Did you turn off your motion smoothing settings?

7. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Any and all motion smoothing and artificial refresh settings are off on the TV. The only thing I have on sometimes is film mode - but toggling that off and on makes no difference. My Apple TV is set to playback native resolution and frame rate on all content.

Most content looks extraordinary on the TV - especially new content or anything on disc. But there are the odd ducks that lack quality streaming. It’s odd that a prestige series like The Sopranos looks so bad. It’s usually old shows and movies with cheap or old transfers on Amazon that look like this.

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Does HBO's cable channel still have the entire series available On Demand? I'd imagine they'd have it in the traditional format.

9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I rewatched the Sopranos pilot with David Chase commentary.I never knew Lorraine Bracco was considered for Carmela. Or Hunter, Meadows friend, is Chase's daughter.

10. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    ‘The Sopranos’: WarnerMedia In Talks With David Chase About HBO Max Prequel Series

https://deadline.com/2021/10/the-sopranos-david-chase-hbo-max-prequel-series-1234859438/

Given where the film left things, this wouldn't shock me at all. That being said, I am very, very fond of the film's anti-climax regarding
    Dickie's death and Tony's lack of involvement in how it played out/refusal to take his first steps into that world.

Wherever Chase goes, though, I will most certainly follow.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Sounds like you’d . . . Chase him.

christophero30 likes this.
  12. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

christophero30 likes this.
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The question is, will the series feature the original's familiar Woke Up This Morning theme song?

14. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...-ending-the-many-saints-of-newark-1235040185/

Juliet316 and TX-20 like this.
  15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    So in that interview, he pretty much confirms what the “cut to black” ending of the show was. I don’t think I’ve seen / heard him give an answer on that before.

16. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Meh he shouldve shown it in the end not waiting years to say what he may have implied, we saw tony montana , michael corleone meet their demise he shoudve shown Tony Sopranos as well, ill stick to my theory nothing happened and if anybody tried something tony had backups nearby ready to take out whoever approached him lol

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I mean it's easy to say "Oh he got whacked." after James Gandolfini's death. Have to wonder if he'd still say anything if Gandolfini was still alive.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Ultimately does it matter if he got whacked there or ten years down the road? The point is that Tony was living his life in a way that made it inevitable that his death would come quick and violently and just like that his life would fade to black and he’d never see it coming.

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    It still remains the best ever end to any series.

Tony dies eating a meatball sub

**** anyone who thinks otherwise

Don’t stop believing

EHT, heels1785 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It literally puts the audience in the perspective of Tony. One second you look up to see Meadow walking in and the next it’s over. There’s nothing after that because there’s nothing after that for Tony.

21. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah it's a pretty clear pattern setup to get Tony's POV looking at whoever is walking through the door. When Meadow should be going to walk through the door after a long drawn out parallel park, Tony looks up to see her enter and instead of getting his POV we see nothing because he can see nothing. That, plus all the things the season has built up about it being sudden and you not even knowing you've been killed it's pretty obvious.

TX-20, Juliet316 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Well, even Coppola dialed things farther away from the more literal presentation of Corleone's "demise" with the recent Mario Puzo's The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone re-edit of The Godfather Part III, restoring an ending there in which
    he does not actually show Michael die but, rather, leaves him alone and damned in life for his actions without even letting us see him get some sort of release in the form of death.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    I havent seen that new alternate ending but the film he released in 1990 showed Michaels end , i guess we can say michael died at the end of part 2 not physically but spiritually and everything he lost his family at the end of part 2 all all alone by himself after having fredo killed, part 3 i never watch anyway the saga ended in part 2 for me lol

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    My favorite commercial during this year's Superbowl. Meadow and Anthony reunited. RIP James Gandolfini :(

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    bstnsx704 likes this.
  25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It was such an absolutely bizarre concept for an ad. I couldn’t stop laughing. Let’s reverentially recreate the Sopranos opening credits, but with Meadow, and then bring in AJ, and then all to reveal it’s for some electric truck. What the hell? Hilariously weird.

Couldn’t get the theme out of my head, though.