main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bail Organa discussion thread- Who was this guy anyway?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ThePrinceOfAlderaan, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I have to agree with the concensus here which is, if Bail survived the attack on Alderaan, he would have been one of the leaders of the Rebellion. I also think he would have kept Luke and Leia from getting involved.

I see Bail as also becoming a surrogate father for Luke. I don't think this would have changed the paths of Luke and Leia, but it would have been a heck of an advantage for the two Jedi children. By the time the Deathstar attacked, Leia's political career had already started and Luke was already with Obi-wan.

The question that strikes me is how would Bail and Breah affect Leia's decision to stay with politics or start her Jedi training?

2. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Did Breha die on Alderaan when it was destroyed or was she already dead?

Only because I'm so confused, (thanks GL)because of the ROTJ scene where Leia had little rememberances of her sad mother. And since decades later George Lucas decided to kill Padme off at birth, it throws off that whole theory that it was really her mother she was telling Luke about.

So that brings up multiple questions for me. (go figure)

Was that Breha she was talking about and if so why was she sad?

& Did Bail and Breha tell Leia at any time in her life she was adopted?

Oh and finally, if Bail's name is Bail Prestor Organa and his brother was Bail Marook Organa, why do we call Bail Bail and not Prestor?

Have I exceeded my question limit? If yes, please advise and I'll take a few off for future discussions.

3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm sure I don't know, but I seem to remember discussion of "Bail" as a title and not a name. But I prefer to think of Leia's father as Bail Organa. :D

4. alhana_antilles

alhana_antilles Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2002
    It would have been quite interesting if Bail had survived especially with Han around. He would probably encourage Han to join the Rebellion. They needed someone with Han's talents. He would have probably have put Han's skills towards smuggling supplies for the Alliance and additional militray support. He'd also be wary about Leia hanging around Han at first, but he'd see Han's goodness and silently approve of their relationship.

I don't know what he'd do with Luke. He might have sent him to Dagobah to train with Yoda or something. After all he'd know that having a trained Jedi on their side would have been beneficial.

5. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Bail seemed to be very close with the Jedi, especially Obi-Wan and Yoda. I've no doubt he would've encouraged Luke to keep up with his Jedi training and go to Dagobah. He also probably would've ripped Luke a new one for leaving Dagobah at the end of ESB. [face_laugh]

I think he definitely would've been a leader of the Rebellion once the Imperial Senate was dissolved. Didn't Padme say in the ROTS novel something like, Go along with the vote to create the Empire, be good little Senators, now is not the time to fight? Or am I making that up? :p Bail would've seen that once the Senate was gone, there was no need to hold back. Vader pretty much knew who the Rebellion leaders were. It was more just a question of staying out of his line of sight.

6. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Yay!! [face_dancing] Somebody has done one for Bail! [face_love]

As for Breha... I do believe she dies a few years after they adopt Leia (can't remember where I read that...) for the woman has always been weak. She (referencing one of the Star Wars: Republic comics) nearly died two differ times trying to birth children. The second attempt they stopped trying cuz it was too close. Mon Mothma mentions this in the comic (it shows a sad Bail). It's also the one where Valorum sneaks into the Senate to talk with Bail. Well unfortunately it wasn't a secret to 'He who will not be named' [face_laugh] sorry couldn't resist a lil Harry Potter there. Palpy knew and sorta confronted and threatened Bail in a 'around about' way. That was a hefty comic...

I so agree Jade about chewing Luke out for leaving Dagobah to early!

I think Bail was the backbone for the Rebellion besides Mon Mothma and Iblis. For they did start it...juz Bail wasn't around to finish it cuz of Alderaan's destruction.

:( Sad now...we get to see some of Alderaan from RotS and wasn't it such a beautiful place (what lil we saw)? And now we got to get to know Bail some it sucks knowing he died on Alderaan. Glad to see some fanfic having where he didn't die! :D

Great idea starting this thread on him! =D=

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Edit: lalala.

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Just send your fic information to the sock, and I'll get it listed the next time I update.

Authors, PLEASE don't put links in the thread. I want to keep all of the stories in the index, as I stated in the beginning of the thread. Thank you!

So, I'd like to make this the official Bail Organa discussion thread. I'll also be keeping an index of stories that feature noble and brave character. Please PM your story information to this sock and include as much of the following information as possible:

Title (w/link):
    Author:
    Timeframe:
    Characters:
    Summary:
    Notes:

9. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    As for Breha... I do believe she dies a few years after they adopt Leia (can't remember where I read that...) for the woman has always been weak. She (referencing one of the Star Wars: Republic comics) nearly died two differ times trying to birth children.

Wow, really? That's so sad! I guess a lot of people figured they couldn't have any children at all of their own. I heard or read somewhere, can't remember, that maybe it was Bail who was unable to have kids.

10. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Don't recall that Jade juz that the one Republic comic has Bail rendezvousing up with Mon Mothma and she gives her condolensces (sp) on Breha and him loosing the child (she miscarried or something cuz it nearly cost her her life). So dunno if you consider comics canon or not. But like in RotS he mentions that they were gonna adopt eventually, guess they got lucky with Leia.

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I remember reading that she died after a few years and someone I know uses that as the explanation for "She died when I was very young," but I don't think that makes sense.

12. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

I remember having this discussion in the GWG this past summer. About what Leia meant in ROTJ when she said "Images really - feelings" Because Luke asked her about her real mother.

Someone mentioned that in the ROTS novel they had a moment where Leia opens her eyes seconds after being born and she and Padme bond and that is what Leia was remembering in ROTJ.

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I also heard about how Leia having a memory of her mother being an evidence of her Force-connection to Padme. I do remember that in the ROTS novelization. I thought it sucked like a vacuum that Padme got all touchy-feely with Luke, then popped her clogs as soon as Leia was born.

14. ThePrinceOfAlderaan

ThePrinceOfAlderaan Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2006
    The child's novelization of ROTS did a better job of explaining that brief moment between Padme and Leia. Luckily, my son has it and I read it just to compare. :p

15. wendynat

wendynat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    I've used both explanations in fanfics - they're about equally plausible, IMHO. I'm not terribly satisfied with either one, and I kind of think in the original trilogy time Lucas was thinking that Padme lived for a while, but while writing the prequels realized that it really wouldn't work and offed her ;). I can't really blame him - I realize there are things in my outlines that no longer work just a few months into writing a fanfic, because of some little comment I had someone make here or there, and Lucas had decades between his far more complex stories to deal with!

That's a good start into this question - how many of you think Bail told Leia that she was adopted early on? After all, the best way to keep a secret is to keep a secret, if that makes any sense. Memories as we look back can't always be relied upon, and it'd be interesting if, after being told she was adopted when she was older, she convinced herself that some of her early images and feelings were of her biological mother rather than her adoptive mother.

*plot bunnies plot bunnies*

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I think Leia would be the type of child to talk about dreams or memories and he would respond after a time by explaining her adoption, so she wouldn't run into trouble later on. I think, however, that the adoption would have been ratified and installed Leia as the heir-apparent.

17. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    I think Bail would've told Leia early on. After all, the people of Alderaan would have suspected something if Breha wasn't pregnant, and then suddenly BAM! There's a baby! :p

And considering Leia knew at all that she was adopted, Alderaanian (or is that Alderaani? ) culture must have stated it was okay for the royal heir to not be blood-related.

Another interesting question - how would Bail have groomed Leia to be Queen? Was that even his primary concern when raising her, or was he focused more on raising her as a Senator and Rebellion leader?

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I think that he would have trained her for all three roles in a very similar fashion, since he knew that what makes you a good leader in the sense of having justice as your first priority and knowing how to make tough choices is also what makes you a good freedom-fighter.

19. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    Another interesting question - how would Bail have groomed Leia to be Queen? Was that even his primary concern when raising her, or was he focused more on raising her as a Senator and Rebellion leader?

Was Leia going to be Queen?

What ever happened to Bail Marook, the older brother? It would make sense to me that Bail Prestor was able to become Senator because he wasn't in line for ruling the planet. And if his older brother was alive, his children would be successors to the throne, would they not? That would keep Leia out of the running, giving her the option to follow her father in the Senate, which she did.

20. wendynat

wendynat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    I thought the line of rulers was through Breha. She was referred to as Queen, but I've never seen Bail referred to as "King", so I don't think his brother's children would have any claim to the throne.

21. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

Wait I thought Bail became Viceroy after the Clone Wars?

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    A Queen is the ruler, with a viceroy in a regnant position, so he was basically vice-president of Alderaan. Since Leia was a 'direct descendant' of the Queen, she would have taken on the role of Queen.

23. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    Sorry. What I had printed out, thinking it was the biography of Bail, turned out to be just a role playing game. His father was listed as King Marook in that. Hence my self inflicted confusion. :oops:

24. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    With that in mind, you have to wonder what Bail would've thought about Isolder's proposal to Leia. [face_thinking] Raised to be a Queen and a leader, raised to fight for the Republic.

Someone said this in the Leia thread, that people often forget that Leia's spirit and ideals come more from Bail than Anakin. Random thought. :p

Okay, back to Bail. :p Being Viceroy kind of puts him into a secondary position. So if indeed he had lived to officially join the Rebellion after the Senate was dissolved, would he have been the chief man? Or would he have deferred to Mon Mothma?

25. ThePrinceOfAlderaan

ThePrinceOfAlderaan Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2006
    Added a few more stories from lazy's amazing list! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.