main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bala-Tik

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MotivateR5D4, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Agent Fulcrum

Agent Fulcrum Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2017
    Man I agree 100 on this, didnt like this guy, id like to see a Rathtar get him.

2. Agent Fulcrum

Agent Fulcrum Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2017
    The scene would have been better if he blasted this fool like he did Greedo in ANH, yanno the shot first kind of answer.

3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    That whole Han introduction sequence, and everything it involves-the Guavian death gang, Kanjiklub, Han/Chewie, the atmosphere of the freighter and even the rathtars...all of it-is probably one of my favorite, if not actually my favorite scenes in TFA. A great re-introduction to Han's character! And of course: Monsters!

4. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    How can one not like character that gave us, "Tell that to Kanjiklub"?

5. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    I watched his Comedy Central 1/2-hour "special" just last weekend...man, hilarious stuff.

"So, I used to do drugs. I still do drugs, but I used to, too."

11-4D and Siphonophore like this.
  6. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    So he's the new Boba Fett? (Bounty Hunter wise anyway)

7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I think he is going to be. Just filling that side plot type role. If the ST is following any type of pattern, he had about as much screen time in TFA as the same types of characters who appear in the OT, mainly Boba Fett. And I don't think you can give a character that much focus and then just have him cast aside and disappear. Especially after seeing that he had the contacts and know-how to be able to get in touch with the First Order upon learning that Han was in possession of BB-8, something that Boba Fett would do in a similar situation.

Now if his scene wasn't the introduction to the ST's Boba Fett, then he sure had an awful lot of narrowly focused screen time for a character we are never going to see again.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  8. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    For the record, Bala-Tik is a great Star Wars name.

9. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    "Inform the First Order that the Droid they're looking for is aboard the Millennium Falcon"

Wonder who is is talking to on that comlink? Is it told in the novelization?

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I'm assuming another Guavian who remained aboard their ship.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  11. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    There's so many possibilities for who he was talking to. Guavians, Kanjiklub, who knows.

Same with that woman in Maz's bar who also contacts someone who is in contact with the First Order to inform them about the droid.

I really wonder who these people are, who they work for (if not themselves), and what role they play in the grand scheme of things. Because first off, they already know what high level bounties are out there pretty damn soon after word gets out, and secondly, they know exactly who to contact if that bounty subject is captured. I'm really interested in what kind of world these mercenaries/bounty hunters occupy.

Wildcatbarry and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Just came across this.

13. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Him and his gang were pretty cool !!

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    So while walking through my local Toys R Us over the weekend I was very pleased to see a Bala Tik figure with an accompanying Rathtar. The boxes were a little messed up so I didn't buy it. But I do plan to once I find a good one.

Anyways, I wonder if this is any indication that we'll be seeing more of him in the ST.

15. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    As far as I'm concerned, Bala-Tik is still out there. He's the Boba Fett of the Sequel Trilogy. I want to see at least a comic book series about him, if he isn't going to make any further appearances in the films.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I too almost bought the Bala-Tik / Rathar pack. Almost!

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  17. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    The character could have used a missing ear or like a clunky mechanical boot that was clearly some kind of cybernetic or "fix" from an injury. He's a space pirate after all, he should have some kind of thing wrong with his body.

18. Gonk Droid

Gonk Droid Jedi Knight star 1

May 7, 2017
    I simply cannot get excited about Bala-Tik. Whilst I don't doubt Brian Vernel's acting credentials for one moment, the character is so miscast!

I appreciate Bala-Tik was a negotiator and had muscle with him but he looks so juvenile I can't for one moment think any space pirate would be remotely intimidated by him!

I thought the Bala-Tik, Kanjiklub and Rathtar scene was without doubt the weakest scene of the film (that I otherwise thoroughly enjoyed).

Darth Smurf likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That was the point. Han Solo was an old and washed up smuggler, and the young punks were eating him alive. Shades of the droogs of Clockwork Orange, beating up on old people. Perfect casting, in that context.