main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Balancing the characters

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by AAA_Tarpals, Jan 9, 2016.

1. AAA_Tarpals

AAA_Tarpals Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2015
    It's agreed that certain characters will have larger roles in Episode VIII such as Luke and Phasma, but with the addition of more characters to this trilogy who will be in forefront?

-I imagine Rey and Finn will continue to be the major focus with an expanded role for Poe as the three new leads
    -Luke will definitely be a major character
    -Leia's role I believe will be very important
    -Kylo Ren will definitely continue to be significant
    -Phasma's role will likely be expanded as reported
    -Who will Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2-D2, and BB-8 be with? We last saw Chewbacca and R2 with Rey and Luke and 3PO and BB-8 on the resistance base. Will that remain the same?
    -What about Snoke and Hux? More or less screentime?
    -I think Maz will have a larger role
    -If Lando appears I think it will be just for a few scenes but will be important to the story
    -Where does that fit the character played by Benicio del Toro and the rumored 2(?) new female characters? They are obviously very important characters
    -I believe Ackbar and Nien Nunb will probably have similar roles as in TFA as with the other resistance officials and pilots
    -Unkar Plutt will likely still be around

Any thoughts on who may become more or less important in VIII?

2. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    • Lots of Rey and Ren. You can't get around their obvious importance unless you just kill them and burn the bodies. Lots of the two big new characters.
    • Luke and maybe Snoke as the major supporting characters. Snoke may also die early, or be revealed as something much less than the real dark lord.
    • Finn, Poe, and Chewie, as well as C-3P0, R2-D2 and BB-8, will be around as flat characters. They won't have an arc or much time as the star.
    • Little to no Leia, Hux, Phasma, Lando, Nien Numb, Ackbar, or Maz.

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I like this idea and that maybe someone more powerful is behind Snoke (maybe someone from the 'beyond'). [face_thinking]

4. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014

Thank you!

I have a feeling the big Snoke reveal is that he's less powerful than we expect, not more.

He has a lot to prove, dark side-wise.

nightangel likes this.
  5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    -Rey and Luke will obviously get a lot of focus. And I think that they'll leave Planet Skellig Michael at some point, which gives Chewie more to do since he seems to be Rey's co-pilot. R2 will do, pretty much what he always does.

-Finn and Poe will likely get a fair amount of screentime, perhaps going on missions for Leia together. BB-8 will probably accompany them, as will one of the new female characters (Finn's love interest maybe).

-Kylo will be in it a lot as well, either training with Snoke, hunting for Luke/Rey, or both.

-BDT's and the new female character (or one of them, since there are apparently more than one) will be connected to the FO in some way.

-Phasma role has already been confirmed to expand. She'll likely be hunting down Finn bent on revenge, with Hux perhaps being involved as well.

-We'll get more of Snoke and what his deal is, but the full reveal won't be until Episode IX.

-Lupita Nyong'o has been confirmed to return I believe. Perhaps Luke and Rey encounter Maz at some point.

-If we see Lando, it'll be a smaller but important role. Perhaps the new Chancellor of the NR, or a successful businessman funding The Resistance. His thoughts/feelings about Han's death will be touched on I think.

-Leia, Ackbar, and co will likely have similar roles as in TFA, maybe a bit bigger in Leia's case. Ditto on C3PO.

6. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014

"I'll give you a real good deal on the Falcon if you want to get rid of it!"

7. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    you mean saving the day in the end. O:)

8. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    This is the problem I have with the ST right now. Unlike the OT where both Han and Luke's character arcs seemed important, Finn's story seems pretty much immaterial at this point and it seems that many people want to keep it that way. While I understand that the ST is all about Rey, the fact that we don't have any genuinely interesting side stories is quite disappointing. I really hope that Rian Johnson has some interesting uses for the so-called 'flat' characters because they were what gave life to the and right now I'd say that not many people seem to truly care what happens to Poe or Finn. A good side story helps flesh out the world and make the film more interesting.

9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I actually find it exciting. I literally have no idea where his character is going, which rarely happens for me in films. I also think that people are jumping the gun on screentime as well. Heck Poe is set up to have a bigger role, now that Han is gone.

10. Forcesensitive01

Forcesensitive01 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    My guesses:

-Rey and Kylo are top tier, most focus is put on the duality of the force with these two

-Luke and Finn will be top supporting characters as they will have the biggest impact on Rey

-Snoke comes next as the big bad. Being evil is really all he is there for, but more time needs to be given to him to explain who he is etc.

-Poe and Leia will be middle tier supporting characters, with Poe getting a lot more to do than in TFA and Leia getting more screen time in Han's absence

-New characters will be about as important as Poe and Leia, decent amount of screen time and crucial to the plot of 8 specifically, maybe one or two characters survive the film

-Phasma will overtake Hux as the First Order figure, she has more going on and with Hux's lack of respect for Kylo, I have a feeling he won't be making it to 9

-If Lando appears, it will be an extended cameo as a senator in the New Republic talking with Leia about providing support to the resistance.

11. calcmandan

calcmandan Jedi Master

Nov 28, 2012
    i just read on imdb that George Lucas is the writer for ep 8. If this is definitely true, I really don't think any of your reasonable plot ideas would exist. I'm actually kind of bummed by this.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    And we all know imdb is completely and utterly infallible, right?

Right...?

13. calcmandan

calcmandan Jedi Master

Nov 28, 2012
    Oh absolutely. Every letter of every word.

Sent from my SM-T307U using Tapatalk

14. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Are you… a time traveller? [face_hypnotized]

Sarge and calcmandan like this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    If I answer that question, I might cease to exist. [face_shhh]

16. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
  17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    He wrote episode 8 of Howard the Duck.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Still mad they didn't let Lando save The Resistance from Holdo. :lando::falcon:

Sarge likes this.
  19. calcmandan

calcmandan Jedi Master

Nov 28, 2012
    My loud chuckle broke the silence in the room, startling my cat - and now I have about twenty point lesions on my legs from her claws as she launched off my lap.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Sarge likes this.