main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Banned! Let's discuss, shall we?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by obhavekenobi78, Apr 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Precisely. Set the entire forum to read-only, but keep the threads unlocked. And perhaps even updated. Like perhaps linking to this discussion at the bottom of the Banned User Guide thread. Sort of a "Wanna discuss it?" link.

No, no... I think once a thread is posted in a read-only ANYONE can post in it, setting it to read-only only allows VIPs and above to post a NEW thread in the Forum...

... unless there's some higher-up powers I'm missing... ;)

2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    No, you set it up as a forum, disallow posting, public cannot create replies, public canont create threads or polls, take away pruning, etc... and you have it.

EDIT: ... unless there's some higher-up powers I'm missing...
    Yes, it's all at the manager level.

3. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    Genghis12,

That sounds like a very acceptable and applicable plan of action.

4. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Well, Sape...
    That's actually pretty much exactly the way the Informational Threads forum is currently set up, though.

None of that's the problem. The problem is that the thread auto-lock system/duration is not something we can control at the board level.

5. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    How about just upping the threads once in a while so they're not locked? (I'm assuming that they're locked because of non-activity ... )

Aunecah

6. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Then given the number of managers and higher we have, we could make a very small but concerted effort to periodically peer into that forum and unlock threads that have become locked due to the passing of the sand in the hourglass.

7. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    And I beat Sapient to it. [face_mischief] 8-}

Of course, it would be easier to keep track if you update all threads on the same day....

Does anybody have any idea about how many months of inactivity will lead to automatic locking of the thread (is it 6 months ... ?)

Aunecah

8. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    If the information contained within the thread is accurate, then it doesn't need updating.

9. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    I meant "upping." [face_blush]

Aunecah

10. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Link it to the update calendar? Every time someone posts the ModSquad update, go up the last Informational Forum thread and remove all prior posts except the original one. This is something that will be done each week, in six months all threads will be unlocked and will remain so forever, until more threads are added to it.

Make the "update calendar" an "administrative action calendar" in case other similar things need to be added?

11. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    That is an excellent idea. Accountability for the updates worked quite well and I think if you tie this into it, it would also work.

12. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Great idea Genghis - I assume that this would be in the Mod Squad, of course? NOT that there's any reason for it to be available for public ...

Aunecah

13. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Yes, it would be in Mod Squad but it would be used. The calendar holds someone responsible every week for writing the update.

14. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Heck, for that matter, why not just make whomever's week it is adopt the bottom Informational Forum thread and be responsible for it's information. Ensure that whatever dynamic information it may contain (say specific user names which may change over time) is updated appropriately at that time. With 21 threads, it will take a little over five months to cycle all the way through the forum.

This way, the Informational Threads forum does in fact become a "moderated" forum, even though there may not be a single specific mod doing that moderating.

15. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Excellent ideas. Great progress.

See? Communications can function.

:)

Vertical

16. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    On that note. Thanks to those, both staff and users, who participated in the discussion. I am sure that there is room for more debate on the issue of bannings, but as Vertical indicated, this particular vein was handled very professionally.

17. bjbrickm

bjbrickm Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2002
    Here's a question. When your ban time is up are you automatically unbanned, or do you have to send in an unban request to get unbanned?

What is the proper protocol mods must follow when dealing with this?

18. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    It's not automatic. The mod has to manually unban you. We're human, and sometimes we make mistakes, and if we forget, a simple unban request should help get you unbanned.

19. bjbrickm

bjbrickm Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2002
    No offense, but if a mod takes the time to ban, they should take the time to unban when the time is up. This should be true regardless if it is an accidental ban, a justified ban, or a highly questionable ban (such as in my case.) If the time is up before they log back on, fine. But once they log back on, take care of business. Write a note or something.

In short, mods should finish what they start. Some may legitamately forget, others will "conveniently" forget.

20. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Most legitimately forget. If you aren't online when the ban is up, then there isn't much you can do.

Yes, writing little 'notes' is a good idea, but not everyone can have "Unban StarWarsIsGay at 4:00PM Tuesday" written around their office. The best thing to do is just check the unban list periodically, and try to remember how many people you have banned, and roughly what time they should be unbanned.

21. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    The one time I was banned, I actually got unbanned a few hours early, because the mod wanted to make sure that he wouldn't sign off and forget. I don't think that mods "conveniently forget" very often, if ever.

22. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Most legitimately forget. If you aren't online when the ban is up, then there isn't much you can do.

This is true, at least for me. With mrslush above I knew for a fact that I wouldn't be around when his ban was up, so I unbanned him a couple of hours early and left him a note saying so (and why). Conversely, another time I completely forgot someone's ban was up but was reminded by another Mod who got a request so I just went and unbanned the user immediately.

Typically, there's no malice behind forgetting. It's either just being distracted by doing something else or just, plain dough-headedness at the time. If you submit an Unban Request when your ban is supposed to be up, someone is usually on the lookout...

24. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    There's no reason for the Mods to "conveniently forget" a ban, I would say, in most cases. So, if a Mod forgot - it's probably because (s)he legitimately forgot.

Aunecah

25. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    There's no reason for the Mods to "conveniently forget" a ban, I would say, in most cases. So, if a Mod forgot - it's probably because (s)he legitimately forgot.

Yes, or want you to stay banned for sometime longer 8-} In either case, I think as you do, they do not do so on purpose but rather truely forget and need a reminder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.