main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Banned! Let's discuss, shall we?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by obhavekenobi78, Apr 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjbrickm

bjbrickm Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2002
    I'm well aware most mods will legitamately forget. I know for certain this mod didn't. Another poster here on TFN (without me asking, although he's a friend and I understand) pmed the moderator in question and asked him (4 days after I had been banned) what was going on. So the mod knew, he did not forget. He would not process the unban until I sent in an unban request. I learned that from my friend who pmed him.

I've never been banned before so I didn't know the ins and outs. I was not under the impression you *had* to send an unban request.

In fact, because of this moderator's aggressive attitude, I was afraid to send in an unban request until a few weeks later (so all could cool down) because I feared he would find some way to contrive my unban post as against the TOS and ban me longer.

[face_plain]

2. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    As far as I know, you're not required to submit an unban request to be unbanned. If that's the case, it sounds a bit childish, and you probably should have used a sock to PM another moderator/admin about the incident.

Vertical

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Yeah, it's not mandatory to fill out an unban request. I'm pretty sure I brought that (or something similar) up with the AC before, and it was decided that someone should get unbanned after the time was up, whether or not they logged in or sent in an unban request.

4. bjbrickm

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, but I don't have a sock, and I'm not entirely sure how to make one. You just re-register? Or what?

In any case, I would have been cautious about that too. Haven't people been banned longer for coming back as "socks"?

5. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    You can just re-register. However, if it was an IP ban, you wouldn't be able to log in with the sock.

You don't get banned for coming back with a sock, as long as you only use it to PM moderators. It becomes a problem when you start posting with it.

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    was afraid to send in an unban request until a few weeks later (so all could cool down) because I feared he would find some way to contrive my unban post as against the TOS and ban me longer.

I assure you that the vast majority of moderators here (if not all) are not that manipulative or petty.

I have a bit of a hard time seeing why someone should be unbanned automatically, without an unban request. Without the unban request, a person might never know why they were banned, or any specifics, and therefore be more liable to repeat whatever that caused the ban.

7. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Well, some people know why they were banned, whether it's from looking at their latest posts to see which one is edited, or some other way.

Perhaps a simple PM to someone who hasn't logged in and/or sent in an unban request since they were banned, explaining that they were banned, and what they were banned for would help clear up any confusion.

8. bjbrickm

Feb 14, 2002
    Actually that was what I expected.

I figured when I was unbanned I could come back and there would be a pm waiting for me, explaining the situation.

There wasn't.

This following statement isn't neccessarily the idea out there for most mods, but for a few I feel it is, especially the ones who brag and flaunt about "crashing down with the ban stick." ->

All too quick to ban, all to slow to follow up with the responsibilities after that.

Again as a model, how am I motivated to improve when the mod who banned me doesn't set a good example of following up his responsibilities or doing them right?

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    All too quick to ban, all to slow to follow up with the responsibilities after that.

Again as a model, how am I motivated to improve when the mod who banned me doesn't set a good example of following up his responsibilities or doing them right?

That may be due to a difference of procedures, not a lack of responsibility. If I ban someone and they send in an unban request, you can be sure I'll respond pretty quickly, and that I'll unban more or less on time.

I don't think you were referring to me, but I was just using myself an example.

10. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    If only people could request which mod they wanted to handle their unbanning.

Wouldn't that be something?

Vertical

11. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I think Kadue is already too busy Vert.

12. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Awwww, quit joking around farraday. I know you'd pick me, right? [face_love]

Right?

right? :_|

13. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Genghis, I wouldn't pick you if we were playing spin the bottle and you were an easy lay with large pert mammaries.

;)

14. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    oh my! :eek:

that's off topic if i ever saw it, faraday.

15. Krayt_Wyrmrider

Krayt_Wyrmrider Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    i think that Darth_Sapient is a class act when it comes to bannings :D .

the first time i got banned, i was very taken aback by it as, well, the JC was the first board that i ever came across.

but things seemed pretty well organised to me. just filling out the unban request to clarify the reasons for your banning and for how long you have been banned should be the appropriate amount of communication needed.

i'm not sure how it's set up now, but i think that it would be appropriate if the unban request that you send back should automatically go to the Mod who banned you.

the important thing of couse would be that you know why you got the ban.

i wouldn't trust an e-mail system; far too much room for error.

16. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

i'm not sure how it's set up now, but i think that it would be appropriate if the unban request that you send back should automatically go to the Mod who banned you.

That would be great, but unfortunately that isn't how it works. Basically, all the unban requests are listed together for all the mods to see; so the mod that banned you has to go looking for your unban request.

17. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    thats a really poor system- no wonder there are unban requests not replied to due to a mod forgeting to look- or so i've heard... not that i've ever been banned or anything! :p

18. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, we can probably owe that to technical difficulties rather than the Mods. :)

Aunecah

19. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    That would be great, but unfortunately that isn't how it works. Basically, all the unban requests are listed together for all the mods to see; so the mod that banned you has to go looking for your unban request.

I thought the Un-ban requests went straight to the Moderator that banned you?

20. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    ROFL x 5

To quote you quoting Griff:

That would be great, but unfortunately that isn't how it works.

Edit: More rofling.

21. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Oh man.

22. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
  23. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    Reading Comprehension 101

24. Krayt_Wyrmrider

Krayt_Wyrmrider Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 20, 2002

OMG!!111!1\11!! :eek: i think Stridarious just completed the loop of some kind of Moébius' post!!

it's only a matter of time before the JC is ripped apart by the very fabric of causality collapsing into itself :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.