main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bantam invasion storyline: The compilation

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ive_Got_Two_Legs, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    The Kanos vs Luke concept would definitely by included, since the concept of an Imperial Guard trying to avenge Palpatine's death on Luke was a rejected Marvel Star Wars plot that was what inspired the first CE.

2. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I think you are drawing connections where there really weren't any. Zahn was creating potential future plot ideas in his books, but there was no collaborative plan between DH and Bantam at the time for an invasion storyline. DH had a plan for an invasion storyline, and Del Rey hijacked it and their character Nom Anor. This left a bad taste in DH's mouth, and they simply decided not to play.

It really is not obvious, and there is no evidence what so ever that they were working together.

That basic story, as described by Randy Stradley, was that DH pitched their idea for the invasion storyline. Del Rey (which already had the license in place) liked the idea, changed it significantly and came up with the NJO. It was so different from DH's idea, and the control was completely out of DH hands, so DH simply decided not to be involved and let Del Rey do the invasion storyline.

I'll dig up a few old threads where this was all discussed in detail (with direct quotes and posts from DH and DR people) if I have a chance later this week.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

I was wondering why DH didn't do a single NJO comic besides Chewbacca..

4. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    DHC's original plans for the NJO

In this old thread there are a lot of quotes from Hark Horse's Randy Stradley and Shelly Shapiro from Del Rey posted there herself to give her memory of the NJO early idea development.

5. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    That was interesting for the first page and a half, before it degenerated into Anakin Solo ranting.

Although I can't help but think that Shelly Shapiro's forgetfulness of so much of the NJO planning sessions wasn't quite truthful...

6. JacenSol0

JacenSol0 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2005
    The series was so long and such a logistical nightmare that they probably wanted to keep it to the paperback/hardbacks. They even cancelled a mini-series from Del Rey, just to cut the story down.

7. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    The series was so long and such a logistical nightmare that they probably wanted to keep it to the paperback/hardbacks. They even cancelled a mini-series from Del Rey, just to cut the story down.

Del Rey replaced the Knightfall series with another. I think it was more of a story direction change.

It's pretty clear from Randy's quotes that Dark Horse did not want to be involved.

8. cyris8400

cyris8400 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2006
    I wonder how many of those cancelled invasion ideas were rehashed in some way or form and put into Legacy (or any of the current comics, for that matter).

9. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    That would be something worth exploring.

But Legacy isn't out yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.